AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 520 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

somehow i missed your posts
so post the specs, year, die size, consumer cost of your apu

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This is not answering my question. What four cores? So far as I know A57 and Puma+ will be replaced by K12 and its "sister core" in 2016.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

here are all the replies of yours to me
so tell me where is the link you are talking about

unsurprisingly there is no link
because you have posted no links and making foolish baseless comments just to show how imaginary are your replies
you just proving your self as a big big troll
stop posting links in imaginary land and post links here

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

and this shows how you ignore main part of the posts
how you ignored the part in which i was asking you to explain your comment """ AMD is already integrating HBM on the next APUs"""
and after ignoring 2-3 times you just say that you gave answer to this 5 to 6 times, this shows your lack of knowledge and your ignorance behaviour
[/quotemsg]

and it is even funnier that you believe that i was talking about apus of consoles, as per you your apu is supposed to be on pc and i was talking about that and most powerfull igpus are on consoles which are unable to match pc gaming thus i was passing another humorous comment on that, this shows your either lack of IQ or lack of humor or lack of awareness about difference between pc and consoles , also unsurprisingly how unaware you are of the current topic of discussion, so get out of imaginary land , or take this as an advice and seek a doctor (and you will think that i am personally attacking you)

the answer to the question was never given
will you ever get out of the imaginary land
paladin never ever admitted to your claim that apus igpu will have better performance than dgpu
so unsurprisingly you just avoided the same question second time, how big of a troll you are

here i asked a fresh question and said you to give a separate answer, and unsurprisingly instead of giving answer to me you just said that you have already given (which you never gave) the answer, because you never built any system so you don't even know the abc of how computer system works which de5_roy have already proved

and about that medicine thing, i posted that just like some friendly joke, as you are a Physical chemist so i thought that you will understand it more but unsurprisingly you seriously lack sense of humor

and again i am asking you the same question whose answer you never gave
so take my question as as fresh question ( and think that i missed all the previous 263 pages of discussion so don't talk crap like "i said it in my earlier posts")
and now will you enlighten me by giving me the specs of your apu, year and cost ( keep in mind that 390x is supposed to have 4224 gcn cores (2x core count in 3 years so you can imagine the performance of single die dgpu by 2020 let alone dual gpu cards and multi cards config which is your apu going to take-on) and it is only 2015 so your apu should be well ahead of 390x)
and how will it cope with future high resolution gaming, what resolution you are expecting this apu to be able to handle for lag free gaming

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Agreed. Can someone just move all that nonsense into a "juanrga vs. the world" thread and leave this one clean for good natured, reasoned discourse about AMD?

That wasn't quite what I meant- I agree if they take and x86 cpu + graphics and bung a load of arm cores on there as well that would be inefficient in most cases, although given AMD's goals with HSA the idea is eventually that the OS would be unaware of what resources are being used and the processor can divvy up work as required (meaning everything gets used for what it's best at).

The point of the flexibility though is to be able to offer a tailored solution to a customers needs- it doesn't really help us (enthusiasts / gamers) but I think it's a sound strategy to get the company it's 'bread and butter' work. The prime example at the moment is the console chips- whatever people say about them or AMD the fact is AMD is *the only* company that could have fulfilled the requirements. Now being able to drop ARM cores onto a chip as well- even more flexible. I can even see server boxes being built with a mix of ARM and x86 cpus as server software is somewhat more flexible than desktop stuff it should be able to use everything available (hence the new pin compatible x86 and arm chips).

I doubt the ARM side of things is going to impact desktop parts much (they have included the Cortext A5 core as a security processor but the die space that takes up is minuscule). The new arm chips might be more interesting in tablets and thin laptops though...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

From last AMD conference:

Since we're talking about a replacement for Bulldozer, this is an entirely different class of beast from the "Puma+" and Cortex-A57 cores in the first SkyBridge parts. AMD's execs noted that these are high-frequency, high-performance CPU cores that will span the range from laptops to desktops to servers—and not just "microservers."

I agree on that the x86 cores will be massively preferred by Windows desktop users, but the non-Windows users could use the ARM version. There is an interesting discussion at other forums, with some people speculating about the possibility of Apple using the K12 in a future Mac Pro.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

People have been "speculating" on forums about Apple using (or buying!) AMD since Jesus was a boy. Yawn.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Keller gives some details about the new cores:

They will be closer in frequency to the 4 GHz of AMD's latest Kaveri x86 SoC than today's 2 GHz ARM chips.

For Skybridge, AMD tweaked its new Puma x86 cores to look more like an ARM V8 core.

AMD upgraded its current on-chip fabric, I/O and memory-management units so they could accommodate either the Puma+ or standard ARM cores in Skybridge. The fabric gets an upgrade for the custom ARM cores coming in 2016.

Keller suggested AMD will consolidate its work on separate Bulldozer and Jaguar x86 cores into one processor line in the future.

Keller said about the 16/14nm FinFET process "looks pretty good, we're happy with it."

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1322237&page_number=2

Considering K12 IPC and that it will hits about 4GHz then an 8-core K12 @4GHz will be faster than FX-9000, whereas consuming much less power.

K12 IPC >= A57 IPC
A57 IPC ~ 10/7 (1.9/2) Jaguar IPC
Jaguar IPC ~ 1.075 Piledriver IPC
---------------------------------------
K12 IPC ~ 1.46 Piledriver IPC

The sister x86 core would perform about the same than the K12.

There is some people in other forums speculating about the new core outperforming skylake (they believe AMD Skybridge is a pun to Intel Skylake). I think a more reasonable target for the new core is single thread performance near Haswell (maybe 90%).

Apple were actually interested in going with AMD APUs- they were looking at the original A8 but unfortunately AMD were about a year too late (it was delayed repeatedly).

Apple do use some AMD products as well- namely their graphics cards in a number of different things. I do think however that Apple are looking to use more of their own processor designs again (I think the move to 64bit on the A7 was future looking, I'm almost certain we'll see a Macbook Air based around some derivative of A7 in the near future).

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I remember that story about Apple and Llano. I wonder where the story originated from, as I doubt it's veracity.

But you're right of course on the dGPU side of things. And I agree with you that Apple are more likely to move to their own core designs.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

From how I read it they are planning to maintain a low end core and high end core in both x86/ARM. Similar to how there is Jaguar/Steamroller now. If they can merge those to a single design then great but a single core for all market segments is unlikely.

s/a slaps together a cheap kabini htpc based on AM1 platform
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/05/15/lets-build-kabini-htpc/
boxes like these would be perfect for kaveri and carrizo. not that one, but similar.

it is sad to see your argument reduced to a single, negative word. i assumed you had reasonable amount of data and credible research.

did i really. i surely remember using sram as reference for bandwidth. i guess you must have forgotten... 'cuz otherwise, you'd be lying. so, to refresh your memory:
and you did end up using it for arguing, lol.
in the same post, you offered the only statement as explanation to why gddr5 is beyond the slow ddr3 in pcs:
this is prolly the 4/5th time i've asked what this means after you dodged it repeatedly.

if you're refering to the redgamingtech link, the guy is on a personal blog, comparing consoles excluding pcs. even he doesn't outright calculate gddr5 latencies, only posts results while admitting that latencies vary by make and models. amusingly, i haven't seen You calculate gddr5 latencies and post the results and calculations.

and another factor everyone seems to ignore is the prefetch buffer and it's affect on latencies. the rgt writer and other gddr5 proponents also ignore the prefetch buffer and full random access, 8Gbit ddr3 chip vs 2Gbit gddr5, cost - from what i've read so far on gddr5 and ddr3. there is a lot of unkown factors left unexplained.
ahaha, i had a feeling it wouldn't go over the way i intended. feel free to ignore it.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

so essentially the solution to the problem is to forgo efficiency for raw power.

In the same sense, taking a V8 and trying to catch the efficiency of a 3 cylinder is just as futile.

http://www.computingcompendium.com/p/arm-vs-intel-benchmarks.html

Trying to say Intel's Atom = haswell is the biggest flawed statement in this whole ARM vs x86 discussion. Atom is Intel's attempt to make an efficient x86 (aka V8) by neutering it.

ARM has a long way to go to catch that 16,774 score, at best its currently less than 3000. Even single core @ 1.3 ghz each, the infamous apple A7 is less than half of what haswell is and Atom being 1/3 as fast.

But hey, its faster than Atom, lets keep pretending that Atom = high end.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

From the EETIMES article I mentioned before:

Keller suggested AMD will consolidate its work on separate Bulldozer and Jaguar x86 cores into one processor line in the future.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I don't see anyone in this thread pretending that Atom is high end. I don't see anyone in this thread comparing K12 to Atom. I see comparisons of K12 to Piledriver and Haswell desktops.

You comparing the performance of a 1.3GHz phone chip (~2W) against a 3.5GHz desktop chip (80W) and claiming "ARM has a long way to go to catch" is so useless and wrong as comparing the performance of a 1.3GHz i3-4010Y (11.5W) against an 3.5GHz i7-4960x (130W) and claiming that "Haswell has a long way to go to catch Sandy Bridge".

You are confounding architectures and ISAs, with specific implementations at particular products.

A serious analysis of cyclone microarchitecture compared to Haswell was made by Anand

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7910/apples-cyclone-microarchitecture-detailed

An exhaustive analysis of armv8 ISA is given by Kanter. Keller has also commented which are the strong points of the ISA.

Finally, it is worth mention AMD Seattle is already a 25W chip. Evidently Seattle is not designed for phones but for microservers.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Kind of scarey if you think about it. ARM can't do it, Intel can't do it, but somehow AMD will do it. A one size fits all core. The holy grail of computing.

There sure were some harsh comments regarding Keller on there.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I will reserve my opinion about what I think about AMD strategy.

there's a bit of a marketing hype there, but they're not wrong. in countries like china, south korea, malayasia and indonesia afaik (but can't confirm atm) pcs have a very good base. china only recently lifted the console ban while possessing a well-established competitive pc gaming culture. in u.s., pc markets are saturated, so amd and intel are looking elsewhere.

@cazalan: does this mean the previous alliance of st-ericsson is dissolved and samsung will use st's booster tech in their 28nm process? it seemed like samsung hit issues with their own 20nm process... and this makes me question glofo and samsung's 14nm bulk's viability.

edit: who else here thinks that keller is being lined up and rory reed's successor and koduri being the cto? :whistle: i mean, if keller becomes the ceo, and him being a former insider, the cpu core/ghz wars may heat up again.... just saying...

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

ya ... ok ..

your the one comparing ARM to x86, claiming that ARM is far superior.

It also appears that AMD's cpus are about as fast as Intel's Atom ... since that 136% falls right where atom is

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Screen-Shot-2014-01-28-at-5.59.51-PM-640x357.png

pretty much sais it all right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.