AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 548 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First benchmark that I gave you: FX-8350 @4GHz is up to 27% faster than FX-6350 @3.9GHz. The difference in clocks is only 3%. The rest is from "moar cores".

You assume for every 1% increase in clock you get 1% increase in performance. Based on the load figures, its clear you wouldn't expect a FX-6300 to do significantly worse then a FX-8350 at the same clocks.

Again from first benchmark: i7 IB 12 threads @ 4.3GHz is up to 12% faster than i7 SB 8 threads @ 4.6GHz. With lower clocks the 12 thread i7 win because "moar cores".

Second benchmark: i7 SB 12 threads @3.5GHz is up to 11% faster than i7 HW 8 threads @ 3.5GHz.

Now now, the 4960x has a lot more HW added on then just the extra two cores that could be affecting the results. Hence why I take those results with a grain of salt. Something like this is likely more representative:

http://www.techspot.com/review/827-watch-dogs-benchmarks/page5.html

CPU_01.png

Expected results. On the AMD side, you see virtually no change from the 6350 to the 8350, which is explainable by the 100MHz clock speed difference, For intel, its impossible to say due to the 82FPS GPU bottleneck.

Techspot is GPU bottlenecked. Toms result looks as those that I gave you: FX-8 is 35--36% faster than FX-6; the 12-threads i7 is 37--38% faster than i5. Again this shows scaling above 6-threads.

For intel, yes. Not for AMD:

CPU_03.png

The 8350 shows essentially linear scaling with clocks, and the fact it can reach the 82 FPS GPU bottleneck with an OC means the 79 FPS result at stock likely isn't being suppressed by the GPU.

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juanrga:

Please check the PCPerspective write up of the conversation with AMD's Richard Huddy regarding new information about MANTLE/Linux and open sourcing the API. That was posted this morning at 9 AM.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
It's a shame the people who don't understand what software betas are, APIs, or what API implementations are won't watch the Huddy interview or read a transcript.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

They've actually been doing x86+FPGA for a while, just with the smaller Atom parts.

The timing is interesting as Microsoft was talking about doing something very similar (except on PCIe) and also with Altera parts. Microsoft went into more detail so it's worth a read. The big winner here is Altera who has been the underdog of Xilinx for a while.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/16/microsoft_catapult_fpgas/?page=1

I would object to the "not pretty" part. I'd say 95% of my projects for the last decade have involved one or more CPUs coupled to one or more FPGAs. Having fewer parts to lay down and route on a PCB is usually considered prettier. Unless you're a masochist and like routing 28 layer PCBs. ;)

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I am not assuming linearity. In any case, the measured 27% increase in performance cannot be explained by the 3% increase in clock. The explanation is "moar cores".

This Intel Xeon-FPGA hybrid is not HSA compliant. A single memory pool is only one of the requirements to be HSA complaint.

I mentioned two of the defects of this Xeon-FPGA hybrid when I gave the news about it:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-277#13537454

Disapointing! In the previous PCW interview Huddy promised AMD would devote resources to porting MANTLE to linux. In the PCPer interview he has changed the words to:

Huddy mentioned that AMD was considering, but not promising, bringing the Mantle API to Linux. If the opportunity exists, says Huddy, to give the gamer a better experience on that platform with the help of Mantle, and developers ask for the support for AMD, then AMD will at the very least "listen to that."

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juanrga: You need to read between the lines...it is what he is not saying that matters most there...

EDIT: AMD do not have the resources to facilitate the port entirely themselves...though they will make the API entirely open source, allowing anyone to openly integrate MANTLE into their OS. (like Valve or Canonical for example)

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

This will only apply to mobile variants — drop a Carrizo APU into the FM2+ socket, and the onboard FCH will disable itself while the motherboard FCH takes over.
From: Extremetech. If Carrizo is only the mobile variant, why would there be discussion of FMx compatibility? Maybe those sites have old news but I'm skeptical of your claims.

Your math doesn't take into consideration that 25x greater efficiency can be achieved if performance stays nearly the same and power consumption is cut greatly. I guess you can say up to ~10 Teraflops double precision but I doubt AMD would spend all of these efficiency gains entirely on performance.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Hum! I have been discussing if AMD ports or not MANTLE to linux. I have been discussing that in a former interview Huddy promised AMD would devote resources to port MANTLE to linux and in last interview he retracts.

Leaving others to do the work has little merit.

Unlike Intel/Nvidia, AMD doesn't seem interested in SteamOS really. I can smell why.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You are entirely right. You can divide the power consumption by 25x and then obtain near 800 GFLOPS in a phone-class APU. However, in the part of my post that you quote I was only considering the supercomputer-class APUs. In the other part of my post I wrote:

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I know it`s a Water Cooled Piledriver, some roadmap a while ago was very clear about AMD extending Piledriver through 2015... so it will probably me more Vishera crap clocked higher.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Agree, I doubt that it's something new. There would be some leaks earlier.

jdwii

Splendid

I wish but no Amd would rather not make much money.
Edit i also love how you act like you don't want some high-end CPU from Amd?

jdwii

Splendid

Also darn as soon as i got my 8350 but i bet its still piledriver and its probably a 220watt CPU which i yawn to

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

LOL

I want them competitive and well-prepared for the future. You want them out of business like the rest of the blue/green people here.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I did wonder whether there would be something new coming when I saw that several manufacturers had displayed some new 9-series boards at one of the trade shows recently (I forget which). I mean, why release new boards for a dying platform?

Of course, this could just as easily be an FM2 chip, as the FX brand doesn't just mean "unlocked chip with L3 cach" any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.