AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 550 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid
"This misconception was also made before and I corrected it in page 276. Moreover I have given recently a news about Russian government replacing AMD/Intel x86 computers by ARM based ones. The motivation was not power consumption. :no:

I hope that you don't return with something answered/corrected in page 275"

And this is corrected by who again you?

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

have you seen reviews of devils canyon i don't see why intel bothers with all that bs since haswell itself can barely reach 4.7 and all of the devils canyons parts have been a lot worse clocker than previous hasswell(sure the volts are a bit lower and so are temps but they clock worse and no where near 5ghz on air lol), devils canyon is a marketing gimmick

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Devils canyon is more than marketing gimmick. It is pure lying from Intel.

Intel said that the chips crossed 5.5GHz on air during the open competition. This is false. I asked Intel in public for the proof/submission of the OC, and they gave me none, because air cooling was not used. All 'professional' tech sites did spread the over-5.5GHz-on-air lie, except one site, which (mentioning me) stated that all records used either water or LN2.

Since then we have seen the professional reviews of devils canyon and their inability to get 4.6GHz stable on air or 4.8GHz with water... but none of those sites mentioning the over-5.5GHz-on-air lie. And most forums silent.

But if AMD had made only a half of that, you would see the strong reaction in the press and in the forums. I still recall the ridiculous noise in some forums when AMD released the Centurion chip and advertised it as 5GHz chip, when that was the turbo frequency (4.7GHz base). I recall fanboys promoting a ban of the new AMD products because according to them AMD had violated certain European laws only in their imagination. Pathetic.

logainofhades

Titan
I am still trying to figure out why motherboard makers are releasing new AM3+ boards, unless they know something from AMD we don't. It seems kinda pointless to make new boards for what is essentially, to our knowledge, a dead platform.

lots of other motherboards can house a 220w tdp cpu. all they need is a bios update for stock operation. amd should approve of centurions running on all motherboards capable of running 220w cpus slightly disregarding safety i.e. with a disclaimer that running a centurion on unapproved mobo will violate standard warranty blah blah but apporve a bios compatibility update.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Anyone see the pcworld article? Intel has asked for access to mantle. AMD has told them once it is out of beta phase, they will open it up.

Let the rampant speculation begin. More mantle news soon about linux as well...

musta come out right after i looked last time
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365909/intel-approached-amd-about-access-to-mantle.html
edit: wait.. isn't this for intel thread?

it was right under the news of nvidia abandoning their 64bit project debacle chip for servers. i mean denver. Project Denver. not debacle. i wonder if servers and smartphones are the two fields that s/a predicted nvidia would [strike]get kicked out of[/strike] exit. but that's a speculation for some other time, some other place.

logainofhades

Titan

SMDH at these pointless 220w chips. For the cost of motherboard, CPU, and cooling, I could buy a 4970k, a Z97 extreme3 or 4, and less expensive cooler that would wipe the floor with it, for less. Water cooling is almost a must with these chips. If doing air, I wouldn't want less than a Noctua NH-D14, where as a Thermalright True Spirit 140 power would probably be sufficient. AMD is doing the same idiocy that Intel did with the P4. Even better, I could go with a Xeon E3, with an even less expensive cooler and board, giving me more for GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $533.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $553.97

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Xeon 1241v3 ($274.71)
Total: $424.69

huh. i thought that at least some of these came down under $200-220. if the above price is true, then these are still in the worthless garbage range. fx 8320 has come down to a very attractive price point iirc. on intel side, xeon 1230 v2/v3 (i mean the one under $250) would be better.

logainofhades

Titan

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It looks more like Intel being curious about MANTLE and wanting know the competence rather than fierily adopting it. Also Nvidia was very interested during MANTLE presentation. In any case this is good news, because shows that MANTLE has got enough industry traction.

A pair of years ago Nvidia said that Denver is not aimed at servers

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121213132626_Nvidia_Project_Denver_Will_Not_Compete_for_Micro_Servers.html

It is difficult to believe that they are now abandoning servers for Denver. :sarcastic:

The FX-9000 series are aimed at enthusiasts. This new FX CPU will be more a marketing product than something with what AMD expect to get lots of market share and money.

If you ask me, I never would buy a 9000-series. There are better alternatives. But know people who owns one.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
I recall some time ago some people here speculated about AMD releasing in future a GPU on socket as better alternative to APUs. Their belief was that APU is only a temporary product and that future products would be dual sockets mobos with CPU on one socket and GPU in other socket both connected by a fast link (a la HTT).

I already showed before why dcPU+dGPU cannot compete against a high-performance APU, but I found this old article where the own AMD admits that APUs are better

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20111211180811_AMD_GPGPU_Accelerators_in_CPU_Sockets_Make_No_Sense.html

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

As commented above:

"At the time of the initial Mantle announcement, we were already investigating rendering overhead based on game developer feedback," an Intel spokesman said in an email. "Our hope was to build consensus on potential approaches to reduce overhead with additional data. We have publicly asked them to share the spec with us several times as part of examination of potential ways to improve APIs and increase efficiencies. At this point though we believe that DirectX 12 and ongoing work with other industry bodies and OS vendors will address the issues that game developers have noted."

Emphasis mine. Reading this literally, AMD hasn't given Intel the spec yet, given how Intel has asked for it "several times".

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
AMD acceleration on Photoshop

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/2014/06/amd-acceleration-enhances-the-next-wave-of-adobe-photoshop-cc-features/

And ARM starts conquering the supercomputer camp. First HPC-ARM components shipping this year:

http://www.zdnet.com/arm-teams-up-with-nvidia-to-take-on-supercomputing-market-7000030818/

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140623-900981.html

Anxiously waiting a HSA K12 product from AMD.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It is a bit difficult that AMD can give an inexistent spec... MANTLE is still in beta.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

They basically told Intel to wait for MANTLE goes out of Closed beta, probably in 3 months or so.

kviksand81

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

They are? Do you have a source on that? Just curious!

8350rocks

Distinguished

You think differently than AMD...but what do they know...they have freedom fabric, and all the Terabit/sec goodness that comes with that...

8350rocks

Distinguished

Richard Huddy will be getting them that information once it is out of BETA TEST phase. AMD has said it will be open source once they have it where they, themselves, are satisfied with the API.

logainofhades

Titan

Yet it would still get beat by a 1231v3 with a cheaper board. I want AMD to compete, but this emulating P4 isn't the way to do it. After FX 8320, AMD's value drops significantly.

CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($229.89 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $464.87

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Xeon 1231v3 ($247.98)
Total: $397.96

Status
Not open for further replies.