AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 549 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asrock and msi iirc.
http://www.techpowerup.com/202248/msi-officially-announces-the-970-gaming-am3-motherboard.html

it could be a socket fm2+ chip e.g. igpu-less apus being branded as fx. the box art in the teaser image was unusually (intentionally?) devoid of information.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I doubt it, remember that Piledriver will extend through 2015 on AM3+.

Most likely more Piledriver crap clock higer still on AM3+.

jdwii

Splendid

And you came up with that in your head? You obviously don't want them competitive if you only want them to make I3 knock off's. Also i want Amd to be the best again in CPU performance so it pushes intel.

jdwii

Splendid
Got a love that fanboys call us XXX users(never bought a Intel CPU for me ever only buy them for others since they are better per dollar at every single pricepoint) when we state the facts since they can't live with them they use fallacious arguments.

fallacious arguments aren't worth the time. simply point out the fallacy as early as possible and move on.

jdwii

Splendid
Also i would be more excited seeing how a A10 kaveri(FM2+) would do on water maybe have it clocked at 4.4-4.6Ghz for just 220$(same as I5) might do pretty good. Maybe even make one without a iGPU. Based on my benchmarks a Kaveri at 4.6Ghz should equal a I5 at 3.0-3.2Ghz in most benchmarks evolving the CPU. Might not be as bad as a 220 watt CPU. The sad thing is it would probably be priced to high to be compare to anything(per dollar) outside of Amd.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

jdwii

Splendid

So lets get this straight everyone but you post nonsense, we have someone(8350rocks) who actually went to the Amd event and actually reveled his source and proved it however you from Spain knows more about this American company? Odd to say the least

Edit also again we would never use an Arm CPU why would we? Everything is going quite well on are X86 platform all are software is written for it why move for know reason to get lower performance? In the U.S power isn't an issue most of the time, performance is.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

or 5.0/5.3GHz. In any case it will be accompanied by some "first commercial processor that breaks 5GHz barrier".

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This kind of argument was made before and I answered it in page 277.

This misconception was also made before and I corrected it in page 276. Moreover I have given recently a news about Russian government replacing AMD/Intel x86 computers by ARM based ones. The motivation was not power consumption. :no:

I hope that you don't return with something answered/corrected in page 275 :sarcastic:

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

I somehow doubt this. If the R9 290x wasn't the full chip, they would have released it after the 780ti.

Something smells fishy...

if r9 290x wasn't the fully enabled hawaii chip, amd might be stockpiling and binning fully enabled hawaii xt gpus since the begining.
since the hawaii gpu is the biggest chip amd has ever built, it opens up room for speculation that amd disabled part of it to improve yields to compete and undercut nvidia's then-top gpu. they had to collect gpus for the firepro line as well.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

It was security. x86 isn't recommended by security experts.

8350rocks

Distinguished

They discuss it because the DT codename is not yet linked. Same uarch, different scaling.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Hmm...that is not what I was informed about...at least...not the Hawaii XT. Now...if he is talking about pirate islands...well...

8350rocks

Distinguished

Fixed that for you...

8350rocks

Distinguished

That is the ARM core, yes...next x86 code name to be revealed...

8350rocks

Distinguished

VERY mature PD-SOI process node with hand picked "golden silicon" would be where I would toss that dart at the board. Think FX 9590 but more selective. At this point in the game, the leakage is still low enough on that node for them to find silicon that is absolutely beautiful and would allow monster overclocking. (Like some of the early 8350s that hit 5.0+ GHz on air with a good board).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD's Dave Baumann: "R9 290X is a full chip".

Status
Not open for further replies.