AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 551 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Exactly. When the spec was ready everyone including Intel will access it.

The source for AMD releasing FX-something and my guess about what will be

https://twitter.com/juanrga/status/480315084255002624

After I wrote that, some sites have confirmed 5GHz+ PD

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20140621200650_AMD_Preps_a_New_FX_Series_Microprocessor_with_Bundled_Liquid_Cooling.html

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

In case you didn't notice the above link quotes what AMD thinks.

Freedom Fabric doesn't change a bit the problems with socketed co-processors.

jdwii

Splendid

This is why we want Higher-end chips from Amd to give Intel more competition

jdwii

Splendid

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would only buy that chip if they are either an Amd fanboy that can afford a little more or a person on a Amd rig who can already get one if they are stuck with anything less then a 8320. Even then i have to say its not for me i would rather OC my self.

Regardless of the implementation, the specifications should be LONG stabilized, otherwise it would be impossible to develop for. Specification != implementation.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
ROFL Mantle is basicly amd version of ''physx'' in the sense that when physx first launched it was intended to make it open in a year or two look how that ended, I am pretty sure we wont see mantle on any other hardware(theire own gaming scientist said its design precisely for GCN and will run better on GCN, so how far can they go with this open bs its a proprietary standard untill its open)

PhysX IS open. Proprietary to NVIDIA, but open. There's no reason AMD can't implement PhysX via OpenCL if they wished to.

Mantel is pretty much the same way. NVIDIA is about as likely to adopt Mantle as AMD is to adopt PhysX. Open standards without industry support die. Its that simple.

AMD exec doubles down on assertion that Nvidia Gameworks presents a threat to PC gamers
http://www.maximumpc.com/no_bs_podcast_226_-depth_interview_amd_graphics_guru_richard_huddy
everybody loves p.r. fu fighting

AMD A6-7400K up for pre-order in US
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35052-amd-a6-7400k-up-for-pre-order-in-us
just check newegg(only), no sign of the new apus. zambezi cpus are gone. fx8320 is back to $160. i was hoping it'd come down to $140. fx9370 has limited duration $30 off with a promo code while 9590 sans cooler is $330. both kaveri apus are at $170 and $160. why there's a $10 difference boggles my ignorant mind.

apparently the cm seidon 120 aio lcs will be bundled with the new "fx refresh"
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/66761-exclusive-amd-launch-new-fx-9590-cpu.html

bjorn3d's a10 7850k review
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2014/06/amd-a10-7850k-kaveri/

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I don`t think it`s open, it may be free to use but i have not ever heard or read anywhere about PhysX being open.

The only Open Physics engine is Bullet.

in terms of marketshare (and marketing hype, promo slides etc.), definitely. but in terms of "gaming relevance" (windows), not so much, lol. however, intel supporting mantle-for-linux in linux distros will be much more impactful. amd simply has to be not lazy and port mantle to linux so that intel can take advantage of it. i know how it sounds, but that's how it'll turn out to be.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Actually physx is open, but it uses opencl and runs on cpu's if you don't have nvidia gpu, the promise at the beginning was to make it available for amd to run on theire gpu's aswell, but that didn't pan out

PhysX has been an open standard since NVIDIA brought Ageia back in 2008. Not to be confused with Open Source.

http://www.sutor.com/c/essays/osvsos/

So I'll say it again and again: AMD is free to implement PhysX through OpenCL whenever they want to.

iron8orn

Admirable

i think it is likely to happen within the next 6 months

Actually physx is open, but it uses opencl and runs on cpu's if you don't have nvidia gpu, the promise at the beginning was to make it available for amd to run on theire gpu's aswell, but that didn't pan out

Not quite; when NVIDIA brought Ageia, they decided to implement the PhysX API using CUDA, so it could run on their GPU's. This is how PhysX runs to this day. For AMD to implement the PhysX specification, they'd have to re-write the implementation to use OpenCL instead.

You know, kind of like converting your graphical backend from DirectX to Mantle. You're doing the processing, but what you have to do to get there is different due to using a different API to get there.

NVIDIA made the decision to not support split AMD/NVIDIA configs for cost reasons; NVIDIA would be on the hook for potentially debugging problems on AMD's end of the chain.

imo, a 32nm, 4M/8C cpu for fm2+ shouldn't be difficult to build, but amd might not do it for resource and economic feasibility issues, as they allocate resources to excavator apus/socs and arm cpus/socs. they'd have to rework the vishera design for the added integrated components in the uncore, likely change the pin-outs for socket fm2+ (i can't confirm this). since majority of 4M and high clocked 3M vishera cpus have 125w tdp, mobo validation could be problematic. i don't know how much power savings glofo's 28nm bulk node's gonna offer. there's the new 22nm SOI fab from IBM but i don't think amd can quickly port their cpu design to that process. in the end, a lot of re-design, testing, validating, economic, timing issues will get in the way of this.

edit2: a sub $100, moderately high clocked, igpu-disabled, unlocked, kaveri "cpu" would be a good counter to intel's pentium a.e. cpu. i didn't think amd would (attempt to) counter the high end d.c. cpus.

iron8orn

Admirable

read tourist's comment wrong.. i think there will be a 8 thread steamroller Kaveri soon :) a 22nm process could be great but i think amd is working on something a little better. i speculate a 16nm cpu with 16nm gpu's

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

this is what they said

Advanced Micro Devices said that making special-purpose GPU-based accelerators compatible with CPU sockets makes no sense.

Anna Filatova, AMD's leading software expert Neal Robison said that Fusion-architecture - which integrates general-purpose [x86] processing cores with highly-parallel stream processors of Radeon GPUs - is a better solution for high-performance computing than to install special-purpose accelerators into CPU sockets.

that means they are not saying that igpus will be better in gaming than dgpus
in accelerating tasks using gpus, igpus can easily beat dgpus ( for example quicksync vs amd/nvidia hw acceleration for video conversion ) because interconnect is holding dgpus here and not the gpus them self ( you can try an experiment t home, clock whichever cpu have to minimum speed and turn off all cres except 1, and then run video conversion task using hw acceleration ( you can use atixcoder for amd's dgpus ) and see how much percent dgpu is utilized and does it even runs at its full speed, this way you will find the amount of dgpu utilized which will show you that its interconnect holding back )
but gaming is different, pcie is not bottleneck here, gpus are bottleneck, run any game at highest settings and dgpu reaches to 100% at full speed, thus gpu is bottleneck

so treat these statement while keeping in mind that gaming and general purpose are different things, rest you can understand by yourself

i always said and will say it again that igpus can't beat dgpus in gaming

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Companies lie with independence of competition. In any case, have you been living under a rock (PUN intended) the last months? AMD has already announced its plans for higher-end: K12 and companion x86 sister.

The fact there is none in the market, proves that igpu yields are very very good, which is not a surprise because if there was yields problems they would be detected first in the CPU. :-D

It is not the implementation which is in beta. It is the own API which is being still developed in collaboration with game developers.

Please check next link Propietary vs Open Standards

The problem is this is a big IF.

There is no 8 thread steamroller Kaveri in the menu. The IBM 22nm SOI process couldn't provide the characteristics needed for GCN. Moreover, people here is assuming, as proven, that IBM will license its process to anyone including AMD, when it is likely that GF will use IBM technology only for IBM products.

In any case, the route that AMD will follow is rather clear: 28m bulk planar --> 20nm bulk planar --> 14nm bulk FF, except if there are unexpected problems/delays, of course.

They are saying that Torrenza initiative is killed. Sometime ago someone here pretended that it was alive...

In any case regarding gaming, I already explained before how gaming is evolving to blur the distinction between compute GPU and rendering GPU, how killing GPGPUs will do gaming GPUs economically inviable, how nonlinear silicon scaling will affect future gaming dGPUs...

Feel free to ignore the arguments once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.