AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 552 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron8orn

Admirable

Not that AMD is really sticking to old plans.. but if they really want to remain competitive they would skip 20nm and go strait to 14nm cpu with 14nm gpu's so they are not embarrassed with Intel's 10nm shrink that will certainly be worthy of 14nm high performance gpu's.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD could skip the 20nm node but I doubt AMD will release 14nmFF products before 2016. Volume production of 14FF is expected for late 2015. Moreover AMD will be introducing a completely new architecture, not a modification of current Bulldozer family.

Intel 10nm products are expected for 2016 as well.

8350rocks

Distinguished

For once, you may be onto something there...

iron8orn

Admirable

within the next 6 months we will see if AMD is able to pull off a 8 thread Steamroller for either the am3+ or fm2+ and come 2015 the plan they device will be clear with a new socket supporting ddr4 taking the back seat with 20nm or stepping up to the plate with 14nm.
I see it as.. Nvidia will want nothing but the best process for there gpu's and will most likely be 14nm so AMD will have no choice to give it all they have and go strait to 14nm parallelism otherwise risk loosing everything.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

My pleasure.

I try to ignore your posts, but since you are posting another lie, let me satisfy your weekly need of being put in place: As someone else said the only difference between you and me is that I am usually right (or rather close) in my predictions "while 8350Rocks seems to fail most of his predictions due to his AMD insider constantly giving him massively wrong info."

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There is no 8-core Steamroller neither for am3+ nor for fm2+. This is the roadmap up to 2015

https://twitter.com/juanrga/status/406390600804466689

20nm is Skybridge/Cambridge, and maybe Carrizo. Carrizo is quad-core max. The only 8-core 20nm could be Cambridge. Although I believe that it will be 16-core

AMD-Opteron-APU-Roadmap-635x473.jpg

At 14nm there is enough room for a 8-core APU. Also 14nm is for when AMD plans the new FX CPUs with 8/12/16 core.

iron8orn

Admirable

Well i am no expert but i just call it how i see it. I mean AMD does not just compete with Intel, they have Nvidia to worry about.
AMD having a 20nm cpu and gpu while Intel and Nvidia put out 14nm... then Intel does one better and goes 10nm.
What is there really to say... other than who is going to buy a 20nm gpu when they can have 14nm.
If AMD chooses to start working on 20nm for production they will be at major risk.
They could just pull out of the high performance gpu market and keep working on apu's and servers but even then.. the testing that Toms did on the latest laptop apu's where not so great from my point of view.

Should just not mess around and make a am4 with ddr4,14nm FX and 14nm Radeon. Is that not what everyone want's from them anyway?

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

AMD and Nvidia both produce their GPUs in TSMC. Same prices, same economy. They will start using 14 nm more less in the same time (like GTX 6xx and R7xxx).

iron8orn

Admirable

So with the upgrade plan of Intel considered they have to skip 20nm.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Not necessary. Depends how good TSMC 20 nm is. Remember that they rolled out 28 nm GPUs, when Intel had 22 nm.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, it is you who seems to be proven wrong consistently...however, I was being subtle about something...

You can continue to insult me, however, we shall see what comes...hmm?

8350rocks

Distinguished

AMD is far more competitive than you give credit, and Intel's 10nm node is really ~12nm...they have been giving misinformation for a long time by providing the length of the shortest node, as opposed to the method used by other companies.

Perhaps just let the people who were educated about the subject hash it out...though juanrga seems not to follow that advice either.

how dare you question the expertise of a published author? said i, rocking le armchair (geddit?).

on a marginally more serious note, i haven't seen glofo or tsmc document their process specs like intel does (may be cuz i haven't looked thoroughly). intel may be giving misinformation but we know that because they're more open. same with the "openness" of myriads of arm vendors who won't even say how long their cpu's pipeline is or how their cache system works or if they implemented software-specific firmware tweaks in the socs (might have learned from intel)....

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

As many games launched with Mantle in a week as PhysX saw with GPU acceleration in 2 years? Wow, it's over, PhysX is just like Mantle XD!

Wow, I'm considered an expert now? Yay, moving on up!

logainofhades

Titan

Nope, according to your badge, you are past an expert and are an authority. :p

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

XX-nm designations are becoming more and more like 3G/4G in that they relate to a multitude of technologies rather than a specific point of measure. At this point, I wish companies would begin to use % of previous scale to advertise their nodes since it's all marketing anyway.

The guys at overclock and semiaccurate forums have been stalking LinkedIn profiles to suggest CarrizoB has been ported to 20nm-LPM. I'm skeptical, personally as AMD is on record saying they're committed to 28nm throughout 2014.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

<trolling mode>
most of the people posting

:p
</trolling mode>

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Yeah, I heard few times that Intel's 22 nm is really ~26 nm. It's all just marketing names like someone earlier said.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

As I mentioned just above, 14FF is expected to be be ready for volume production at the end of 2015. Thus, Nvidia cannot have access to it much before AMD.

I know, one of those guys is trying to convince me both in public and private. I shared my skepticism therein

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=215764&postcount=478

iron8orn

Admirable
I just think that parallelism is the road that they would like to take and would fit perfect for all the latest things they have been doing to go 14nm vs 14nm.

Would not be easy to roll out in time with Intel but i do not think that Intel ever claimed all the hard work they do to make the best enthusiast level cpu's is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.