AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 563 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Right, I analyzed some time ago my collection of games for Windows. Some of them even used AVX, but only few instructions. Anyway, adopting new instruction takes years (now even more because PC ecosystem is more mature than in 90. or 00.), performance with legacy code is the most important for PC CPU.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I think that I didn't miss anything important from the Core Innovation Conference. You can check in my tweeter account what I said then: "AMD now means AMbiDextrous". I also gave in this thread the ARM+x86 TAM numbers that AMD expect for the next four years and I mentioned more than once that the new x86 core will be a "sister core" to K12.

Once said that, I want emphasize the very important fact that AMD used to denote their flagship product with a "K": K7, K8, K10, K11... whereas the small cores (Bobcat, Jaguar, Puma+) are not. The difference is that now K12 is an ARM core not a x86 core; in fact the x86 core is still unnamed by AMD.

During the talk, Keller also mentioned how the armv8 ISA allows to extract more performance than x86, and said explicitly that the ARM core has a "bigger engine", which I interpreted as wider-issue or similar feature. If you look at other forums, other people is making similar claims:

My gut feeling tells me that the ARM core will be released first, followed by a less performing x86 variant shortly after.

I also gave the next quote from AMD head:

No similar comment for x86 was done. I bet you to find a similar quote for x86.

Finally, AMD finances are well-known and during the talk Papermaster mentioned something about not giving Keller enough resources.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Totally with you on that. I remember when the 9590 came out and it was the craziest thing (especically that it sold for over $700 for decent amount of time). Then to the fact that a 3.4Ghz 3570k can still blow that thing out of that water. Building on what you said, with their limited budget there's really no where to run far. Also considering the cheaper price of their CPU's some of the manufacturer errors, and other factors, it's hard to determine where they'll end up other than either failing and going bankrupt (at least for their CPUs) or just making it by.

I was browsing and I don't know if this is a error or not:

X264_2.png

See next to the name of the 8350 on the results? What does it mean when it says, "4C / 8T"?

4 Cores / 8 Threads? That doesn't make sense though, isn't it a 8-core CPU?

Just wondering >.>

One other thing that I think most people know but I like to point it out:

In this instance this Vishera FX-8350 is running at 4.85 Ghz with a voltage of 1.476 V (on a 32nm die).

To compare, my Ivy-Bridge i5-3570k is running at 4.69 Ghz (4.7) with a voltage of 1.240 V (on a 22nm die).

CPU_Z_Screenshot_6_3_2014.jpg

Now if AMD weren't having money and budget issues, wouldn't they just try to copy or make similar products as Intel? That is what is interesting. The technology is already out there, and they really shouldn't have a problem with making a better processor, but it is their budget that is really holding them back (all in my opinion).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This counts as another of your failed predictions.

LOL

It is hard to say what is your new misunderstanding of my words, because you are being too cryptic and avoiding details or exact quotes.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The 8-core Haswell has not been launched still. Moreover, it is named 5960X.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Piledriver/Steamroller only gives 4 FLOP/core when using SSE2 code.

An standard A57 core can bring 8 FLOP/core when using ARM NEON extensions.

The server-like Piledriver/Steamroller arch has to run FMA4 code to match the 8 FLOP/core of the phone-like A57.

I have seen some diagram of a future ARM core (server-like) that is now under testing and that will be fabbed the next year and each ARM core includes 256-bit Neon units plus SMT4. This ARM core will bring 16 FLOP/core plus SMT4. Engineers claim their core will provide 90% of the single thread performance of a Xeon Haswell core.

Your discussion about IPC ignores two points: first because the modern x86 CPUs are internally RISC machines. X86 CISC code is translated to RISC-like uops which are then run by the execution units. E.g. a given x86 instruction can be translated to 200 uops, and the execution units run those 200 uops.

When I say that a given core can do up to 16 FLOP/core, this is independent of how many uops the engine needs internally to provide that throughput. It doesn't matter if the core internally runs one uop or if runs 700 uop.

Second, when I discuss IPC I am not referring to the native ISA instructions but to the source code instructions. E.g. how many instructions of this piece of 1000 lines of C can the CPU run per second? This is why we can compare the performance of, say, C-ray on different CPUs with different ISAs. If chip A @ 3GHz spendz 30 seconds on C-Ray bench and chip B @ 3GHz spendz 15 seconds, one can say that the Chip B has 2x higher IPC.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

It's usually compiled.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I don`t think i qouted that... maybe you were trying to quote Juan?

8350rocks

Distinguished

If you want to cherry pick...there is a benchmark for the FX 8350 in this thread somewhere...(pages and pages ago) where the 8350 was 800% faster than the 3930k.

Show me a new game that is not run on basically 1-2 cores that does that...you might as well have put up iTunes or some other retarded one sided benchmark.

8350rocks

Distinguished

No, this is precisely the misinterpretation he is referring to...if you can compile something to run AVX2 versus another CPU running it at SSE2, then the AVX2 CPU looks much faster by default, even if the IPC is similar...because the capability to do different operations can be shortcut into bigger chunks, and thus can be done more quickly...

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I didn't cherry pick, it was third sensible (other was about GPU) chart in Google Images.
I remember that benchmark, also I remember some benchmark where A10 beats i5, but these were really specific cases.

Overall performance in actual software (which usually sucks in multi-threading) is the most important thing, when you compare CPUs.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Sorry, it was Juan.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

+1

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There is no special ideas around the A57 core. It is a standard implementation of ARMv8 ISA. Most companies purchased an ISA license and are developing/implementing their own custom cores. The only reason why AMD is using A57 cores now is because they are late at the party and need something to compete before their K12 core is ready.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Your original words were:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-283#13631771

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-283#13624062

You have changed the words from certainty to hope.

In any case when I was preparing the BSN article about Kaveri the AMD Engineering Dept. claimed that Steamroller would bring 45% IPC gains. I reduced that by 15%, then reduced it by another 5% and used the remaining figure for my article. Final measurements have shown that my analysis of the Steamroller architecture was accurate up to the single digit percent.

I note that you have ignored any of my technical, economic, and strategic arguments about the post-Excavator arch.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

No. That is a pretty trivial comment. It is so trivial as mentioning that the octo-core FX-8350 gives a maximum throughput of 256 GFLOP/s only if the code run on the 8 cores. One would don't confound the IPC allowed by the architecture with software that is or isn't optimized for that architecture.

The exact quote was:

And the funny part is that I know to whom wrote that article.

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juan

I have never changed what Jim Keller said. He says it will be better. I do not doubt.
My source says if they shoot for better, and fall a bit short, they are still on par. Which I think is reasonable.

Either way, I am done talking with you...we will see who is right. I will hang your head on a pike when you are wrong beyond doubt for all to see as well. You will not be able to twist your words about ARM we have 100+ pages of your rubbish.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
@8350rocks

You most understand why people aren't jumping right onboard on the "AMDs next x86 arch will be better than skylake". We have little to no information on the architecture itself.

I have stated, that I doubt AMD's next x86 arch will reach skylakes performance (first, we don't even know skylakes performance yet, we are only estimating based on their earlier architectures, and some of the things it features (which we know for certain, like AVX512)).

Don't hype the hypetrain to much without anything backing it up.

I'm not saying I'm not excited about their upcoming x86 arch, I'm just waiting for some more information, to properly place and estimation on it's performance.

jdwii

Splendid

Although the discussion over banks(although i stand by what i say) will be stopped i will stand by what i claim a Pentium and a 250X is Superior to gaming then a A10 i ran several benchmarks many times. I stand by what i sell and the people who buy the builds i make(i don't own a business its just free lance)never complain about anything. I do not turn off any background services and i always install AVG free. Under general use i will admit a A10 is better it even feel's faster but for gaming no, just no unless its also paired with a video card.

jdwii

Splendid

You always claim how Arm will replace this and that. Arm will co-exist with X86 for the foreseeable future.

jdwii

Splendid

Amd seems to have management fixed now vs back in the day where it had problems read this its old
http://kotaku.com/visit-south-park-thanks-to-the-magic-of-virtual-realit-1600134381?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Bulldozer was once a dropped project as you probably already knew. Something or someone brought it back. Intel has a lead in their foundries compared to everyone else. I do not believe its possible for Amd to ever be faster overall compared to Intel but it did happen back in the P4 day's. Juan makes some good points on this however, and i kinda agree with him on them.

What Amd really needs is their prediction unit to be more accurate back in the early BD day's the team claimed that the 3rd ALU was barley touched on phenom but then we see 4 per core on Intel. They have a lot of work to do to improve on this.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

A57 includes thousands of blocks. Chances are that some of them are better than ones in AMD's library.

Every engineer will understand it, but again you're smarter than everyone else.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

This looks like next neverending Phenom II X4 vs i3 discussion, where no one is right, because every game is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.