AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 590 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Mentioning an article published in a known independent tech site is not spamming. Moreover several people in this thread has shown his interest in that article both in public and in private. For your information, some of that people asked me to write a similar article but for Carrizo. They must be reading those lines now.

Now about the rest of your post. If you quote me out of context, give only two lines of large article, then avoid all the content and the detailed predictions I made about a concrete set of benchmarks, specially those showing that in FP heavy workloads Kaveri would be behind SB/IB (which is unsurprising because Steamroller is 8 FLOP/core whereas SB/IB are 16 FLOP/core) then you can say anything that you want.

I find it very odd that you pretend to ignore the final benchmarks of Kaveri silicon and the close agreement with my predictions on those benchmarks and, instead, you bring here a set of unrelated benchmarks from sites with different methodology, based in another OS, different compiler...

I understand that results like this (orange is prediction; red is measured; difference is 6%)

John-The-Ripper-kaveri-pre.png

John-The-Ripper-kaveri-final.png

hurt the eyes of people who only know windows7 and icc-based benchmarketing.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I have given that info before, but in different posts, not in condensed form. This shows you don't read my posts. you ask me now again about some stuff that I posted before. I have mentioned the use of a L0/L1/L2 hierarchy, LLC amount, DRAM size, interface and spec, memory subsystem bandwith, power consumption, stack topology, interconnects and bandwiths... there is other stuff that I have not given as number of lanes, pipeline stages, wide issue... but I have given other details such as SSD amount and NVRAM technology used. I could give other details such as SMTn level.

The clocks given are base. I don't know the turbo frequencies.

I have given some main specs of the CPU such as number of latency cores.

However, all those details are irrelevant. It is irrelevant which node is used, it is irrelevant which are the clocks, it is irrelevant how many FLOP/core gives the uarch... because the reason why the APUs will be 10x more faster than a CPU+dGPU doesn't depend on any of those details. I already explained why. Everyone in the industry, including Nvidia/Intel/AMD engineers know that and that is why are replacing dGPUs.

No, the exact range is not 8.9x to 10.7x. That was only for illustrative purposes. Moreover, 8x rounds to 10x not to 1x. Do you know what is the order of magnitude?

The baseline is not a current dGPU neither a current dGPU migrated to 20nm. I already explained which is the baseline.

When I claim that dGPUs will be killed by about 2020, evidently it is unimportant if this happen in 2018 or in 2022. Very irrelevant.

I will be on vacations. Please feel free to mention me, to lie about me...

i read all posts in this thread, that's how i know most of the stuff weren't posted before in the correct context.

for instance, LLC can be the L3 cache in one apu(e.g. intel's) and L4 cache in another(e.g. amd). L3 is usually in much smaller capacity than L4 but either one can be LLC. you never specified which level will be LLC in which apu. additionally, you never mentioned cache sizes in proper context. same goes for power consumption, interconnects and bw.

why are these irrelevant? please, do post those. these are very relevant for another factor i forgot to add and you didn't mention - workloads. in which workloads will these apus be about 10x faster than gpus?

i see that you're avoiding posting your baseline (type of workloads is very important as well). you do specify that it's not a current dgpu like tahiti or gm200 class. are you purposefully avoiding comparing to the highest performing gpus available today or in the near future? otherwise you woulda mentioned the baseline instead of resorting to incessant "already posted somewhere else in the thread". this is not just compilation, it's also putting claims into proper context and specifying the vague parts.

it's relevant because i for one, don't want to see idiotic spamming in 2022 after a technological breakthrough in 2021 or in 2023. :) claiming the exact breakthrough along with the right timeframe would good though.

i hope others add the specifications or type of loads or any other type of info i've missed. like tdp or encoding resolution or memory bus width etc.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

A 2x8GB Registered ECC kit is $170-$350 depending on speed grade. A dual 10G NIC can run $440. Still a huge markup for a quad core. Now convince Facebook to buy a million of them so AMD can be profitable again. :)

8350rocks

Distinguished

There are already FinFETs on FD-SOI. Read IBM's white papers on 22nm FinFET on FD-SOI with collaboration from STMicro.

As for your assumptions, let me assure you...when I was at AMD in Austin, the gentleman who was explaining it to me said Tb/s...I checked to clarify, and he did not bat an eye lash when he confirmed what he had said before...

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
im going to let the community answer this one

If one specific cpu in a very particular benchmark has a baseline of 3682, and somoeone predicts that an improved cpu will have a score higher than the i5 2500k that scored 3218, does that mean the cpu is faster in any and all benchmarks?

seriously dude, richland was already faster than the 2500k in john the ripper, and is nowhere near i5 2500k performance overall.

now another question.

if your baseline is 3682 and you predict that the new one will score 4310, but only scores 4053, how far off was the prediction?

Hint: its not 6%

anyone ever wonder why the baseline wasn't included, and why its still not?

as for apus replacing dgpu by 2020, that one relies on a lot of only ifs.

only if gpus stop advancing
only if they produce no heat
only if games stop advancing and pushing gpu specs
only if 4k & 8k die

tombraider-38-fr.png

ya, a 290x can't even push 4k to 60 fps.

Hmm interesting- in which case we'll probably see more on-package memory rather than 'on die'. The main thing is that baked into the same physical processor would permit the use of very wide interface (just like the GDDR5 ram used on graphics cards), so it would still be a big benefit for APU performance.

Seattle isn't due for official release until next year. It's pretty promising that they've already got the dev kits out, so obviously they have got working silicon (although I noted the dev kits only used the quad core variant rather than the larger 8 core version). Still it does look like Rory is sticking to his pledge of "execution, execution, execution"... Things keep rolling out from AMD roughly on time, it can only be a good thing moving forward!

I just meant it as where information is stored for a program is always in a memory hierarchy and that this can change as our memory systems change and evolve. I think in memory processing is something else entirely.

Seattle has been shipping for a while I think, what is coming out next year is the integration into a single socket for ARM and x86.

amd showed the sdk motherboard in a promo slide:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/175583-amd-unveils-its-first-arm-based-cpu-the-64-bit-8-core-opteron-a1100
i'm guessing that the cpu in that promo slide was 4 core cpu.

Hi, did a bit of digging- Seattle isn't due to actually ship until Q4 but it is this year your right...

jdwii

Splendid
As always the majority of the benchmarks matter more than a few so even if juan is right on a couple of benchmarks(never even heard of john the ripper before) then fine. But the majority is what matters in terms of benchmarks. For example in the majority of benchmarks the 8350fx is above the I5 but in gaming its around I3-I5(except in newer games).

Stock compared to stock, the 8350 is usually pretty close to I5, at least in multi-threaded things. Admittedly single core vs single core AMD doesn't have anything to compete.

Key point here though is many many more applications actually use more threads now so the 8350 is ageing quite well, and given it's price it's actually quite a bargain now. The main downside to it is that you don't really have anywhere to go beyond that whereas you can always get an i3 on a reasonable motherboard and have a good opportunity to upgrade in the future if you go Intel.

ah, i see that now.

google says it's a ...uhm... security testing tool. i am afraid that discussing it may violate tom's t.o.c.....? anywho, the benchmark seems to show high degree of variance depending on flags used, o.s., heterogenous processing(where gpu also works), software versions etc. it's not a gaming benchmark.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Still the though 8350 is kinda slow at stock 4ghz....my 920 Oced to 4ghz even beats it in some areas....the 8350 is much better waaay up there....and you are correct how more applications are starting to use/benefit more threads.

amd a10 7800 review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8291/amd-a10-7800-review-65w-kaveri
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8288/amd-launches-65w-45w-kaveri-apus-a10-7800-a8-7600-a6-7400k
i knew that teaser the other day was about a10 7800! another prediction confirmed! even if i didn't predict anything!

AMD Readies Steamroller Based A4-7300, Athlon X4 860K / 840, Athlon X2 450 and FX-8370 For AM3+ Processors For Q3 2014
http://wccftech.com/amd-readies-steamroller-based-a47300-athlon-x4-860k-840-athlon-x2-450-fx8370-am3processors-q3-2014/
so the new unlocked athlon is 860K. but the real news is the eol of a88x chipset. so far, we've seen chipsets carry over to the next apu or socket. this may be the indication of a change in carrizo's chipsets and the bga socs.

Where was info about a88x EOL?

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Search for "EOL" and you'll find it.

Ah thanks, well if they're going EOL in dec 2014 on FM2+, then FM3 socket (or something similar) has to be coming soon, so hopefully Carrizo will make it to the desktop rather than being mobile only.

Status
Not open for further replies.