AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 607 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They'll be fine. You are going to see pushback on the lower tier parts, but the mid range and top cards are where the margins are anyways. NVIDIA will be fine.

Also, stupid question: Is AMD treating its APUs as GPUs for the purposes of counting sales, or are they double dipping them when computing their CPU/GPU sales? Because I keep hearing "Sales of GPUs are up due to APUs". That would be like Intel saying "we sold more GPUs because we sold a ton of 4770k's".

jdwii

Splendid

That would be so lame

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
have anyone saw this
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20140820095939_AMD_Readies_FX_8370_FX_8370E_Microprocessors.html
FX-8370 and the FX-8370E. Both chips feature eight cores, 4.10GHz/4.30GHz clock-rates, 8MB L2 cache, 8MB L3 cache and dual-channel DDR3 memory controllers. The FX-8370 will have thermal design power of 125W, whereas the FX-8370E will feature TDP of 95W. Both microprocessors will be priced at $189 in mass quantities.
mother of power efficiency
how did they managed to increase the clock rates while decreasing power consumption significantly ( binning ? )

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Richland's improvements?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The 8370 and 8370E are the same chip except by the TDP. This suggests binning. The E version will have better thermals ('golden sample') and will dissipate less.

The fact that 8370 is rated as the old 8350 also suggest improved yields due to a more mature process.

Nope.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Humble and Nvidia are not compatible words. Pride is part of their corporate image.

The reason why AMD and Intel went up but Nvidia was down is because Nvidia doesn't still have competitive enough APUs and still relies heavily in a falling discrete graphics card market. Their Tegra division is starting to rise (it grows 110% per quarter or so), and Denver version of K1 will change the things without any doubt.

AMD and Intel are already in the highway towards integrated graphics, whereas Nvidia needs more time to transform itself (read my signature; Nvidia knows what do).

Oh that was so the wrong thing to say.

Yamaha RX-V3800

That is my receiver and it cost about $1800 when I first purchased it back in 08.

I'm currently in the process of redoing my setup and focusing on hiding all the damn wiring. Been looking for a nice glossy black stereo cabinet to clean up the environment.

The box on the right is my current living room PC, it's a nice low profile mini-itx case but it's still a bit too large and clunky to fit in with everyone else. I plan on going with something smaller that runs on a picopsu with an external power brick that I can hide, and at that level you absolutely can not run an dGPU as your looking at sub 100~120w total system power.

Hmm this is a tricky question. It's only one sale but a APU can replace an entry level GPU and entry level CPU, the entire purpose of APU's is to get entry level processor and entry level graphics in one chip. They should probably just report APU sales separately. Intel can't really claim it's integrated graphics replace entry level GPU's, well not yet at least.

Or maybe the lack of new parts the past few months is dragging them down? Until the 800 series hits, NVIDIA sales aren't really going to raise, or even remain stable, as those of us who upgrade GPUs for the most part already have.

I'm not sure the release of the 800 series will really change that. The only reasons I ever upgrade are:

1: Hardware failure (which is pretty uncommon unless your OC the hell out of a card, I still have a HD2600 going strong in an old system).

2: I have games I want to play that I can't due to poor graphics performance.

3: I have games I want to play that I can't due to lack of driver support.

The key thing is that at the moment, anyone with a reasonably recent mid range or higher graphics card isn't going to run into these problems. Sure it's nice to get a new card and be able to turn on some extra AA or something, but that becomes a nice to have rather than a requirement which is much harder to justify the expense. I'm running a GTX 560 and I really haven’t played a game that taxes it much at 1080p high settings. Admittedly I tend to focus on RTS which is less graphics bound than other games but there really aren't many games that wont work, unlike 10 years ago when an upgraded graphics board made the difference between the game running or not. Heck you can run most modern games on low settings on Intels integrated graphics now.

Things that will probably change this: The new consoles, although not that powerful do have access to *allot* of memory for graphics work, more than most high end cards. So I can see that the older 1gb models (like I've got) are going to be a non starter for cross platform games in the next few years. Also newer API's will make a difference when they're released (i.e. DX12 and OGL-N) as it's unlikely older boards will get updated drivers (or if they have the prerequisite hardware support for the new features). One reason cards have been lasting so long is the length of time we've been sitting on DX11 class hardware (I mean the old HD5870, first released DX11 card is still perfectly viable for 1080p gaming on high settings and that card came out years ago).

Final thing that will spur need for graphics cards is the return of proper high resolution displays for PC's. The proliferation of 'Full HD' tellies has set computer displays back a decade- I had a Pentium 133 running on a 21" CRT at 1600 x 1200 resolution at 85hz back in the 90s. That works out about the same number of pixels as a 1080p display and frankly the 4:3 ratio was a more useful shape for most applications. Then HD tellies become the norm and PC displays got standardised with them. At least now 4k is becoming a thing and displays may in fact move forward again, so well finally be talking resolutions that can actually tax the modern graphics hardware fully /rant

Never doubt the enthusiasts will to spend $500 for minor performance upgrades. They'll be an uptick once the 800 series hits.

But yeah, I went from a 570 GTX to a 770 GTX, since newer titles were starting to stress the 570 a bit, and I suspected upcoming titles (Witcher 3) would kill it. I typically don't upgrade much; maybe every 2-3 generations or so. I'll likely have to retire my 2600k and do a system rebuild rather then upgrade the GPU again.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Related: http://www.lowrisc.org/

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

You easily can, just not at that price. Laptops with a 45W quad + 860m will draw about 120W under full load including screen. Its just going to cost more.

Are processors pushing up against the limits of physics?
http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/08/are-processors-pushing-up-against-the-limits-of-physics/

Linux Founder Linus Torvalds 'Still Wants the Desktop'
http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/linux-founder-linus-torvalds-still-wants-the-desktop.html

Analyst reckons Intel could buy MediaTek
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35554-analyst-reckons-intel-could-buy-mediatek
i hope this never happens, as mediatek is one of the important members of hsa foundation.

AMD Radeon R9 285 arrives September 2nd, preliminary information in 2 days
http://videocardz.com/51251/amd-radeon-r9-285-arrives-september-2nd-preliminary-information-2-days

PS4 GPU has an Effective Bandwidth of 120 to 140 GB/s, Not 176 GB/s As Previously Reported
http://wccftech.com/sony-ps4-effective-bandwidth-140-gbs-disproportionate-cpu-gpu-scaling/
i assumed this type of throttling won't happen until amd or arm put 8x arm a57 or carrizo/high clocked jag/puma cores in an apu/soc like that. then again it's wcantcomprehendyetpublishanalysisontech..... sony needs to put in a stronger cooling system in the ps4, if this is true.

the article makes a good point imo:
While the two ISAs are absolutely different, research has repeatedly shown that power consumption, clock speed, performance per watt, and instructions executed per clock cycle (a measure of efficiency) are all dependent on the CPU’s physical architecture — not its actual ISA.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Nvidia and AMD's current dGPU line up is archaic by GPU standards. We got 7970 release in early January of 2012. It got rebranded 280x and is still available for sale as the primary chip in a market segment. Looking at the release of Tonga to replace Tahiti, we're looking at nearly two years of the same GPU being sold. Nvidia is not in much better shape at all with GK104.

Software is not keeping up with GPU hardware either. The CPU bottleneck of not being able to feed the GPU fast enough by being limited to a single thread or two is holding back game developers from throwing more objects on the screen. Look at the last few architectures and geometry ability has not improved much at all on higher end models.

Once Tonga and Fiji come out and they are geometry monsters, and they have Mantle, OGLNG, and DX12 feeding them tons of geometry, sales (at least for AMD) are going to pick up. At least they should, it looks like it's AMD's plan. GPUs scaling shader power has reached an end and the models are old. All those early adopters who spend big money on new GPUs already have Tahiti/GK110/GK104/Hawaii and they have no reason to upgrade, for two whole years almost.

Consider AMD GPU history before.

2006 was 3000 series for two years, AMD sales were bad and 3000 wasn't so good
2008, 4000 series released, great sales
2009, 5000 series update
2010, 6000 sereis update
2012, 7000 series update
late 2014, new GCN CPUs

Do not act so surprised that sales are decreasing when we are sitting on old products and new ones are around the corner. Specially considering that we're getting new mobile parts while dGPU has been inactive for some time. I expect that once we get high end Maxwell along with Fiji and Tonga that GPU sales will increase massively.

On another topic, my big question is which new PD is going to overclock better, the 95w one or the 125w one. I'd be happy if I could get mid 5ghz range stable, but I have a feeling I'm dreaming.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Who said that Tonga is the old arch?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

any overclocker and bench'er will say that its so pure "dumb"

many months ago, i posted some benches of real world memory transfer speed obtained, which showed that my hd6770 was 80% efficient, and i was complaining that phenom's is very less efficient ( 60% )

theoretical bandwidth does not mean that you will get that much bandwidth in real world, the bandwidth you will get will depend upon efficiency of the components that is accessing memory and and are controlling memory

jdwii

Splendid

Not bad sorry i claimed you owned a bose :D,actually looks pretty good i guess the receiver does look like its hanging off the entertainment center a bit. I see the solution get rid of all those consoles except the wii and make a build with this case its your receiver is about the same size and you can fit a ATX psu in it and a SSD and a I5+what ever video card you want.

jdwii

Splendid

He probably doesn't use the rig for gaming much i see now reason to treat a PC as second class almost degrading lol. For 120 watts a Pentium and a 750Ti would be about that limit with a SSD. For 45 watts Amd has a solution that works and would be good enough for his use. If it was me i would use that Coolermaster case and go crazy ha ha would fit in their just fine.

jdwii

Splendid

So perhaps a weak memory controller? On my 8350fx with 1866mhz ram i get this although for the theoretical limit should be 32Gb i think. Man running that i can tell Amd needs to redo their L3 cache big time.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The 90% of zero is zero. Nvidia cannot live of "enthusiasts", because that is a small niche market. This is why the company is pivoting heavily towards mobile/embedded.

Status
Not open for further replies.