AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 640 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

There's a big difference when someone lies in a prediction and when someone lies to just gain attention and troll in the thread. The later is the one we don't want, but the former allows discussion while parties stay focused on facts and solid arguments, as long as the lie is not intended.

I'm willing to bet, no one in this forum has all the knowledge and information to justify or discard 100% of the things being posted.

Salt is cheap, so might as well use it, haha.

I'll just quote that, Juan. You don't fight them (whatever you consider a troll), you let them be so they die. Haven't you heard how the internet works, Juan? You don't fight trolls, because they get stronger. You ignore them so they wither away and die.

In any case, like I said, being a sarcastic person doesn't help the discussion. That only adds gasoline to the flame. Remember sarcasm is another way of insulting people.

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished
LOL @juanrga and his tinfoil hat post about hidden agendas...

Really...? I only step in mostly when something is either so far off it is not even close, or so patently wrong it is beyond comprehensible how someone could come to such a conclusion.

I5-2500k = kaveri...? Anyone?

Hopefully that is just a by-product of the fact that there really is nothing much going on right now on CPU's of either flavour. Lots of things are planned next year- so by then we'll have some actual products to discuss but at the moment we're commenting on comments and speculations that stem from earlier comments and speculations made by someone with a 'source', occasionally boosted by a cryptic press release about something happening a way off.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

Well it is inevitably.

It happens everywhere, some people just take things to serious.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I think they didn't want to go too low as if you check Newegg the 970s and 980s are all out of stock.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
And everyone who disagrees with juans ego is a crow. He never insults people... just calls everyone a crow. He refuses to answer specific questions because he doesnt have a clue what he is trolling about other than his own ego. He refuses to admit when he is proven wrong, just comes up with false math and uses the same single quote from some other account praising his own genius, a poster that posted once and thats it.

Why is amd calling their product an SOC? What are they adding that intel hasn't already done to make it more SOC than Intel's?

How is an apu with around 500 shaders going to replace a dgpu with 2500+ shaders thats capable of running multiple cards in tandem and still cant obtain 4k resolution with a playable framerate? Marketing wise its plausible, because marketing can accomplish anything by twisting the truth. In reality its ludicrous to believe its going to happen in just a few years. How can one product be all everyone will ever need? The reason desktops are still around is they can be configured to an individual need/use. Are apus going to be soo powerful that you will never need more than what they can offer? Short answer; its impossible to fit every single need into one product. You run into more challenges trying to do so. How do you balance cpu power with gpu power, afterall, the more cpu power you have, the more gpu you can utilize, the bigger the die is going to be and you get that much more defective parts, $ wise its futile.

And no running a game at 640x320 isnt gaming, thats just a compromise living in the past.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
If you think someone is trolling hit the "report abuse" button and let the mods deal with it.

I find it a bit comical when a certain individual posts the same picture in 3 different forums and basically gets shut down in all 3 for the same reasons. So either the world of forum posters is just full of aholes or someone needs to learn how to relay what they're trying to say in a less offensive manner.

Save your predictions for the stock market, and let the rewards speak for themselves. Assuming you didn't get insider leaks and can be found liable for insider trading. ;)

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I think Juanrga means "Crowd" when he talks about "crow", he also uses "He said me" as "He told me".

I don`t think he is trying to offend with that, since the closest thing i read from him is "LIAR".

I`m going to side with juanrga on this, most of the time certain users gets really really pissed with his claims... i have no idea why, because if he is wrong then HE IS WRONG and that´s it, but those certain people love to gang on him in a most aggressive manner and actually make him do a wrong move, while calling out for an instant BAN for no apparent reason.

I side with him on this one because he is USUALLY right, and has proven it over and over... I still think his Kaveri prediction was WAY OFF... i am not going to defend that.

juanrga actually shares a lot of nice and useful info, usually posting links to articles i have not found myself, i also like his predictions... they may go either way, but that just it... predictions. But those certain users really, LIKE REALLY Love to make a big deal out of his claims, like they must under any circumstance refute his claims at any cost... like seriously? if people gets so pissed at his predictions why make such a big deal out of them?

A lot of what he has predicted has turned out to be truth, that´s 92% of all the stuff he spews into these forums. I can´t really say the same about the others who are constantly waiting for him to post or claim something just in order to refute him... they have been waaaay off in more occasions than he has been.

I also don´t see juanrga spewing hate or vendor specific rhetoric, i seen him talk well about Intel, as well as nVidia and AMD. I do see somewhat egocentric claims from him, but last i checked there is no rule against that, so i don´t see why he should be banned or cast down from these forums.

As Cazalan said, don´t like his predictions? ignore or report, problem solved.

jdwii

Splendid
Juan toms would of banned you back in the day over that quote sometimes Nvidia engineers might actually come here back in the day we had someone working at Intel on these forums and toms mods made someone change their signature over it offending that intel worker.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
@ juan.

Why is amd calling it an SoC? What more will it have over intel's CPU?

Its called a marketing gimmick, you cant even answer the question, only quote marketing.

http://www.tribedesign.com/services/branding/branding_sellthebrand.htm

Come buy this brand new never before called product, this brand new SoC. We dont make CPUs any more, we make this brand new line of products called SoCs. While technically its nothing new, this SoC is far superior than anything Intel has, they only sell CPUs.

jdwii

Splendid

Never :lol:

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Software side or Hardware?

jdwii

Splendid
http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/10/assassins-creed-unity-ps4-xbo-parity/
Gamer nailed this one 100-150 pages back
“We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff. Technically, we’re CPU-bound. The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it’s the CPU that has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel.”

“We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realised it was going to be pretty hard. It’s not the number of polygons that affect the framerate. We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we’re still limited to 30 frames per second.”

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD calls them SoCs because... are SoCs. The diagram of the forthcoming Excavator-based SoC gives details of six new elements that are included in the SoC and that are lacking in the Steamroller APU that is replacing. The APU required extra chips in the mobo for the functionality that will be now provided by the new SoC.

You have decided that AMD is taking a CPU and renaming it as SoC by marketing purposes, but you simply don't have any idea of what AMD is preparing, you are just posting your usual anti-AMD rants.

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

who is h******.....harley2?

8350rocks

Distinguished
By the way, Juan, your AMD related quote in your sig needs a caveat.

Per people I know @ AMD:

"The context of that quote was in microservers specifically, while we would love to see ARM take off in the desktop/consumer space, we have no grand illusions of such things. This is primarily due to so many massive software hurdles and compatibility issues that would stem from porting software to a new, relatively unvetted, hardware environment that x86 apps and programs are not designed for. I do hope that poor soul is not seriously running around with the mindset that x86 is ever going away. That would be unfortunate..."

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Well i'm playing that game right now(beating it one last time before 5) and i get 30FPS in some cases but usually its 50-60- 90-100 in small area's. This is with very high settings or high and 30 or so on detail and view distance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-budget-gaming-pc,3943-18.html
I'm just not to sure if i would want to pair that CPU with a high-end GPU like that games in a few years are just going to be unplayable. I stick to my old statement for a budget 400$ build but for 500$ i would probably pick a 6300+265. GTA5 will kill this dual core Pentium. [/quotemsg]

Well really if you look at it this way, the PS4 is equivalent to somewhat of a Core 2 Quad + a GTX 650 I'd say? The fact that it can run GTAV near a constant 60 FPS @ 1080p shows great hope for the PC Master Race. I'm sure that if they fixed their engine a bit, it should run better than GTAIV regardless. If they even adapt some of the software / hardware extras that come with our fancy GPUs, it would run even better :p.

Really this is just opinion based on what is out right now, we really won't know until it actually happens :p

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The SoC is simply APU/CPU + PCH (Platform Controller Hub, aka South Bridge) in a single part. Today the lower-mid range mobile is all SoC. (Kabini/Beema, Atom, Haswell-Y, Core-M). The trade offs are a limited number of USB/SATA/PCIe ports but you can lock in reduced power requirements.

Go back several years and mobile/desktop PCs were all 3 part solutions. (CPU + NorthBridge(memory) + SouthBridge(I/O)). Those have gone away.

Higher end systems remain 2 part solutions (APU + PCH). As the process nodes shrink you can expect more mainstream desktops to go to SoC as well.

Workstation/Server will likely remain APU/CPU+PCH for quite some time. I.e if you want quad or maybe even dual-SLI dGPU in the future you'll have to buy a workstation class motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.