AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 641 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid

Done, see if anything actually happens, i think you are misinformed about several different terms one being trolling. I shown you a picture of your statement on tomshardware and i use your own statements to come to conclusions about your statements not made up crap(which would be trolling).
If however the mods agree to ban me and others i for one would support that decision as long as you were ban to at least from this thread.
Also as 8350rocks just said 1 person isn't always representative to a whole company.
However i don't want you ban to be honest i would rather have you just cite were you get your information and stop acting so egotistical and arrogant.

jdwii

Splendid

Well we can certainly hope for that it seems like Rockstar is spending a lot of time on GTA5 for the PC since some code way back was found on the 360 disc that was for the PC.
Being such a heavy CPU title i think having Mantle might have a big influence here. Hoping it uses all 8 cores on the CPU, since the consoles have 8 cores and as stated GTA is always heavy on your CPU. I do remember i played that game 1 month ago on the 360 and the pop in was so bad it messed up my gameplay not to mention you really feel the low frame rate and i'm a person who can deal with 30fps most of the time.

It's telling they expected so large an increase, but at the end of the day, the CPUs in the current generation of consoles, while an improvement, isn't a leaps-and-bounds improvement over what was in the 360/PS3. And it's going to be a limiting factor going forward.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Not much more they could do with the manufacturing capabilities at the time. The visual quality of the games are still much better than before. PS3 looked like utter crap to me after gaming on PC for so long. PS4 actually looks quite good, but definitely not up to par with my gaming rig. Gladly some key titles will be coming to PC with much higher fidelity.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Juan, let me help you understand why your logic is faulty. Lets hop back in a time machine to the mid Pentium 4 era.

Do you remember what Intel's roadmaps looked like? They had 10ghz Netburst on it. That was their grand plan.

Now envision people on forums talking about 10ghz Netburst coming in a few years. That is what was going to happen and Intel didn't know any better about future plans. Roadmaps, Intel employees, insiders, they all talked about how Netburst was going to scale to great frequencies.

Eventually, that 10ghz netburst never showed up. Because it got cancelled due to technical reasons. Reasons that were beyond Intel's control. Yet at a time in history, Intel constantly spoke of high frequency single cores designs.

The proper thing to do is to blame Intel and the laws of physics for failing us. However, what you are doing is basically attacking the messenger and going "well you guys said that we'd see 10ghz Netburst and we never did so you're all wrong! Everything you say is wrong because you've been wrong before!"

Does Intel changing their plans mean all the people who spoke of what Intel was doing was wrong? Were they all misinformed fools?

NO! They just were messengers of what Intel was planning on doing!

Do you see the error in your logic? You're shooting the messengers when the message they received was wrong in the first place. The reason why people are going after you, is because you are not a messenger. You are making explicit claims about directions of products as well as performance. And you're extrapolating these and drawing these conclusions on your own. So you're in a much different position than people like FX who are just messengers. You are a creator of a message and a messenger at the same time.

Hopefully this makes things a little more clear to why you get treated like you do on the forums.

jdwii

Splendid

i don't even have that person anymore to get info from he isn't working at Amd anymore. Not to mention that was 120 pages ago at least

What workload? Because I get the sense compute is coming into play here. Course, plug in a Tesla and use that instead, you get different performance characteristics. So not having a benchmark title is a giant red warning light that the marketers are making the same mistakes all over again.

Juan, his point is that all of your predictions, independent of being correct or not, are from what the companies themselves say in one way or another (roadmaps, interviews, internal information, etc). His point is that if the company makes a mistake, you make a mistake by association. And that applies to everyone, not just you. What he adds, is that you make additional calculation based on those "projections", meaning you'll be pretty close (depending on your math) or horribly wrong. But you are not accepting the first (and most important) part: a company can be horribly wrong when projecting or predicting the future. AMD is really way off track at times and we don't need to force memory for mistakes they've made. That's where you're not accepting arguments back and defend yourself only saying "the engies know better". No, they also make mistakes. That's the important bit in blackkstar's argument (which was pretty good, by the way).

Cheers!

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I have to go with juan here on a mathematical sense:

(5681) - (6000)
-------------------- X 100 = 5.316%
(6000)

(5681) - (6000) = -319 / (6000) = -0.05316... X 100 = -5.316% (no negative percents in percent error) = 5.316%

Though I'm not on it that much, I used to love this thread because of the debate, but now most people (not all) are just a bickering class of 8th graders. I am still young (16), and I used to be a bit immature on this thread and shouted stupid replies and argued moot points. However now that I like to debate things that I know about and can debate about, it sucks to see most people just yelling at each other getting nowhere in the conversation.

The point of a thread like this, and as any debate usually goes, is to share opinions and to give valid arguments to your opinions, not to call people things, accuse them of stuff, and even if you have evidence, to prove them wrong.

What good is a game made from JavaScript or C# if you can't get your arguments right? It just leads to something broken and glitchy, and no one would want to play it. However if you do get your arguments right, it could be a great game and everyone would want to play it.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Who said they wouldn't catch x86 in any benchmark whatsoever? The question was would they scale AND keep a power advantage. In this particular unnamed benchmark they're tied, so the ARM power advantage just disappeared. Keep unreleased product out of it, as even the X-Gene1 product is hard to get hold of today.

You're presenting this as a good thing for AMD, but it's really just highlighting that they're about 2 years behind AMCC. If a big player like Samsung or Qualcomm wants to get serious about ARM servers they can snap up AMCC for 1/8th the price of AMD. In which case AMD is in a rough spot regarding their ARM ambitions.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Another reason that they are not massively hyping all of this outwardly.

As an established x86 player, they have clout in those markets, as an unestablished ARM player, they have zero clout that Samsung, Motorola, AMCC and others have spent years trying to build up.

Now, a player the size of AMD coming into that market validates those companies in many ways that the x86 market would otherwise have largely ignored for much longer in all likelihood. However, it likely benefits those companies that AMD entered those markets far more than it benefits AMD.

Think of it like this...AMD/Intel are like the U.S. in NATO...ARM is like a new emerging country, and they have just been recognized as a country by the U.S. Which means that now they will start to get a lot of the attention and support that your average 3rd world country would get.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Lol you must have been reading different articles cause the ones I saw said 5.5Ghz air/water from the beginning. It's right in the HWBot rules.

http://hwbot.org/competition/intel_occ_computex14/

jdwii

Splendid

I suppose that is fair lets just be done with this hate now its really not a drama thread its a thread about future speculation on CPU's i find your input to be quite useful for some.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Never learned that in school, but that makes a ton more sense now that I look at it, lol. My teachers always said, "Just make it positive cause it has to be." Thanks for the correction. :D

Edit: Also about the quote, "Discrete GPUs will be killed by about 2020," I recall that after watching either the 2013 or 2014 Nvidia conference that Jen-Hsun Huang had said that. I may be wrong, and I tried looking for it myself. Though I have not found it yet, I did only look for about 15 minutes before taking a break. I may be wrong, but I just wanted to put it out there. It may explain why it is not found in text, but possibly in voice.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
@GOM3RPLY3R, Your age explains so much! Haha, thats cool you got into PCs at a young age.

@everybody else, I've kept silent for so long cause honestly, I got bored with rummaging through these posts looking for something of value and end up seeing useless arguments. The truth is Juan seems to spit out information based on hypothesis to draw attention to his website, "Juan's Hardware." :lol:

In all seriousness, it's really irritating seeing you guys argue with him instead of ignore him. The more you guys talk, the more it makes what he's doing, acceptable.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Haha, thanks.

Just as a side note, does anyone have, have had experience with, or have been following the GTX 900 series, more precisely the GTX 970 itself? I have some information to share however I want to make sure it's able to be built upon in a structural and mature manner. ^_^

jdwii

Splendid

Thank you and i will try my best for now on sorry bro

Status
Not open for further replies.