AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Time for a super late response:

Will AMD solder chips onto motherboards? (analydilatedcorporatestyle)
Permanent attach and no socket? We have SoC parts that are ‘soldered’ in that parlance. But we’re committed to sockets. In the channel business and the enthusiast space, we’re committed to sockets.

Has AMD given up on the desktop CPU horse race with Intel? It would be terrible if Intel became the only game in town. (Snargelfargen)
Absolutely it would be terrible and good Lord, no. We hope to have some news for you very shortly on that [apologies, legalese disclaimer alert: AMD is in what's known as a 'quiet period' and due to financial markets strictures is limited in what it can say about future product plans, but I'm thinking Steamroller].

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/08/hard-choices-ask-amd-part-2-the-answers/

sounds promising but not serious. he's right to call out the guy (- seemed like a disgruntled amd fanboy) who asked about p.o.s. cpus, lol.
since amd promises not to do proprietary stuff, gfx card performance won't be as polarized as before (physx vs radeon). that's a good thing imo.

typical of product cycles. amd did make too many of those llano apus though.
weirdly, the article says amd will unify sockets even though amd's just eol'ing old stuff. makes no sense.

Acrosser Introduces All-in-one Gaming Board for Kiosks
http://www.techpowerup.com/182513/Acrosser-Introduces-All-in-one-Gaming-Board-for-Kiosks.html

Next Xbox may have AMD Jaguar cores, $500 price tag
http://techreport.com/news/24631/next-xbox-may-have-amd-jaguar-cores-500-price-tag

They are being replaced by FM2 and AM3+ parts which are already out.

jdwii

Splendid

Are you going to make CPUs that aren’t a steaming pile of pooh anytime soon? (wuwul)
That’s a little harsh! They’re not. Come and ask me face to face!

My favorite part.

Sorry about quoting both of you by the way tomshardware has a lacking system that maybe needs new web designers.

Not if there isnt a robot on the other end of the phone ;)
Lets keep it civil

I never understood this <.<

There is nothing wrong with AM3+, no capability it requires that it doesn't already have.

The fact the socket design's been around for so long is testament to how well it was planned for expansion.

Well AMD have played the long game well this time, GT3 remains an enigma and ellusive as ever there is nothing on GT3 yet other that dodgy videos that are as suspect as Michael Jackson at a kiddies party. What AMD will know is they have had intel have to clock in excess of 1.3ghz on the iGPU to achieve performance, those clock rates are virtually double HD4000 and if you look at the exponential growth needed on this it is completely unsustainable.

Nvidia confirm GT700 series for early 2014, no surprises, AMD is releasing Sea Islands/Solar System in Q4 2013, it gives Nvidia time to bump up clocks and add things, then come out and say its a low end GK ??? and they are not impressed with the competition. Good ol Nvidia know how to tear people up.

The good thing out this is that AMD will still need to do a lot on the CPU/APU side, and the GPU side of the company but it looks like they are coping well on all fronts, I like surprises and I hope the surprise will be Steamy and Kaveri, would be nice to see Toms suck up their pride putting AMD parts into recommendation lists:D

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
^ What i wonder is if the HD8000 will be 20nm or not. At 28nm, is there much more room for improvement ? On the same node, I would say that the max perf they can get is ~15% without raising the TDP.

I have my doubts over 20nm. I heard both AMD and Nvidia projected 20-25% from top end to top end. but i saw the 8850 is 40% faster than the 7850, but we know the 7850 was sandbagged. I would love to be wrong particularly for kaveri a 20nm Radeon SIMD would be just peachy.

I am really starting to love the APU's, just threw in some old faithful 6850's and 6970's and they coped well when I was told competent low cost gamer, I never really thought they would be capable of this.

Well the 7790 is a bit of a master stroke, they achieved nigh on 7850 performance on close to 7750 power consumption and less heat, they also eliminated the need for three SKU's. I do suppose they could come up with a Tahiti XT or something to make the 7950 and 7970 redundant as well leaving a minimal number of SKUs on the market. 7790, 7870XT(needs to fall to $350 beating the 660ti and 670 in price/performance) and a 7975XT then the 7990 thats a large enough line until Sea Islands.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Is the 20nm tech even ready for mass production yet /by end of year ? And by which all foundries ?

8350rocks

Distinguished

TSMC and GloFo can already mass produce 20nm wafers at varying qualities...they've been able to mass produce them since Q1 this year, and GloFo has a new proprietary process that will begin production toward Q4 this year that is supposed to make their SOI even better for high performance/high quality applications.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

How was the 7850 sandbagged?

jdwii

Splendid

Its not really sandbagged but a 7790 isn't too far off, hey its 10% faster than the 6950 while using almost half the power .

Status
Not open for further replies.