AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

Incorrect fluff. Kaveri is due for 3rd quarter introduction after July of 2013.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

False information. AMD states Kaveri is due for 3rd quarter of 2013. Semi-accurate is once again is LESS than accurate.

Looking at the semi link, the time it was written, and the dates left the door open as to when Kaveri would appear.
It did say Richland would come first tho.
If anything, after reading it, and knowing AMDs situation now as opposed to November of last year, it can be here this year

Is it just me or is there no way to mount a cooler on that?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

AMD has only specified 2H, which likely means Q4.

AMD also stated they were shipping Richland in January but those still haven't showed up yet.

8350rocks

Distinguished

June is the new release date...reasoning was something about getting supply out before launch.

I didn't say that was Kaveri, I said it looks like Kaveri just with one eDRAM bank instead of two. The Kaveri leak happened a while back, and thats GDDR5 though.

I heard April 19 for Richland, May for Tamesh and Kabini

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

AMD can't make up their mind either. They shifted primary focus to the Jaguar based parts which do look promising in that segment. We'll see though.

Not really
Jaguar has gotten alot of attention , for good reasons.
Kaveri is aimed at HSW and is more why we see a lessoning of the DT/sans igpu variant
Certain markets needs certain attention, where AMD is certainly limited, and their focus should change as we see the market change

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

This post and any other about Intel chips does NOT belong in a AMD steamroller message thread. Fanboys go back to your Intel threads and keep out of here before I bring this to the moderator's attention.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

This is a joined thread. Has been for a while. Heading should be changed though.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

That was not apparent from the title of the thread. Sorry for being unaware. I just read the header and the initial remark that said the thread should only discuss the steamroller cpu

As long as there isnt an ongoing discussion about what color is best, and since the similarities and differences can be described and explained within decent responses, its been going fine.
As we see the merger of certain units onto chip or SoC, so far, weve been able to avoid the whos colors best thing, and get a look into each path
Just remember to keep it civil, so far so good

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

clearly the image is a "photoshop composition", if truth or not is anyone guess. Nevertheless it should have a heat spreader cover, so like any other intel chip a cooler is no problem. The same with AMD and any other, the trend is for most of the pertinent system DRAM to transition "inside" the socket.

So I guess after much guessing the "Super FX" aka Centurion was actually true. From what I am told about this chip is it is likely featuring AMD test run of RCM, stock frequency is 5ghz @ 1.357v boost at 5.5ghz, rumor is overclocking bin on these is up on 6ghz using conventional cooling and rumor of an insane LN2 world record to be had here.

These are formed on golden sample silicon so this is like tray samples of old, exceptional overclocking and thermal performance. At 5ghz out the box the performance will be exceptional, what is not exceptional is the $795 price tag and $1200 for a tray chip beforehand. If its fast it will be a collectors item and insanely fat CPU.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The heat spreader could have been removed. It's a developer forum after all. The dimensions are practically spot on for 1T-eDRAM, given the rough transistor count of 1.5bil for Haswell. 64MB would be about 1/3 the size.

jdwii

Splendid

Now i had a couple in the last few hours but really??? 5.0Ghz stock is beyond crazy and i almost don't think it can be done If true intel better run for the hills.

"Edit just noticed it was some special and not the next gen version.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

This reminds me of the leaky phenoms that were sold primarily for ln2 testing purposes.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Phenom-II-Black-Edition-TWKR/

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I'm just guessing here, but I think the reason why standard Vishera chips can't achieve 5GHz at sane power consumption levels lies largely in the fact that AMD uses the same die for both server and desktop chips.
As such, the LC components would have been designed with a much lower Q factor,to achieve slightly lower power consumption, but across a range of frequencies, namely from 2GHz to 4GHz.
With these Centurion chips however, I'm guessing that AMD would design the RCM solely for higher clocks, such that the Q curve would be much sharper, probably from around 4.5GHz to 5.5GHz.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

That would make sense, but RCM is not present in any of AMD's current processors, AFAIK.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Are you sure? I believe all the Vishera, Trinity and Richland chips have them....and that was the reason given behind the significant reduction in power usage from BD->PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.