Mr. White

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Hi!

So. I've looked at my AMD Ryzen 7 2700x temps, and they seemed jumping very much, like +10°C and then a fast downgrade.
There should be nothing with my cooler, i have the default cooler. The temps are still good, but the jumps. This causes the fan going faster and slower and it doesn't feel good in my ears :D
Also, my room temps are good, living in Finland. Should be like 18-22°C at autumn.

When i'm playing like War Thunder, GTA 5 etc, the temps are like 48-50°C, not jumping so much like in "idle."
The menus especially in War Thunder causes some jumping, as i said on the second example.

It should not do this even with the default Wraith Prism cooler!

I have one video example, and i recorded it when i started my computer with no game etc open, also, Chrome was not open.

Processor is bought on March, 2019.

Example 1
I am just writing here, with Steam and Logitech Gaming Software etc. open. Temps are like this:
29°C --> 40°C --> downrgrading slowly back to 29°C --> 36°C -->
and slow downgrade again.

Example 2
I started War Thunder, and got in the match. There is a menu after i got to the match, and before i can choose my vehicles.
48-50°C
(at the starting menu) --> 60°C (the menu before the match, it shows the map and information about game mode) --> Downgrading to 50°C degree by degree.

Example 3
I began rendering a video with Adobe Premiere Pro. The temps are slowly heating up to 60°C from 40°C

Example 4
I'm downloading HITMAN II from Steam, and the temps are 39°C --> 49°C all the time. When i pause the downloading, it's like 33 --> 45°C

Example 5
Started computer, no extra processes on.
https://streamable.com/0bxvi3

My Specs
Ryzen 7 2700x
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
G.Skill Ripjaws V, DDR4 (16GB)
ASUS Rog Strix Gaming RTX 2070 Super OC Edition
Corsair RM 750x 80 plus gold
Bitfenix Aurora with 2 fans on the front (flows in), one on the roof (flows out) and one on the back (flows out)

I've looked all over the internet, i just don't find the solution for this :(
Please, help me with this <3

Solution
There's no solution for this... it's just how Ryzen works. My 2600 does the same thing at idle.

Usually these CPUs tend to stay in a really low power state at IDLE. When a background process requires processing power, automatically Ryzen CPUs boost at high frequencies to get them done faster, hence the temperature fluctuations. On the Ryzen 3000 series SKUs these fluctuations are even worse, but that's still normal operation.

You can call these Ryzen CPUs as "bursty" chips. When something needs to be done quick in the background frequencies and VCore spike quite high.
There's no solution for this... it's just how Ryzen works. My 2600 does the same thing at idle.

Usually these CPUs tend to stay in a really low power state at IDLE. When a background process requires processing power, automatically Ryzen CPUs boost at high frequencies to get them done faster, hence the temperature fluctuations. On the Ryzen 3000 series SKUs these fluctuations are even worse, but that's still normal operation.

You can call these Ryzen CPUs as "bursty" chips. When something needs to be done quick in the background frequencies and VCore spike quite high.

Reactions: kurdtnz and RodroX
Solution

Mr. White

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020

So nothing to be worry about. Not even when there is big temps and big jumps when just downloading a game?

So nothing to be worry about. Not even when there is big temps and big jumps when just downloading a game?

As I said it is normal... I don't see problems in any of your examples with temperatures, especially with the wraith prism cooler (which is not that great let's be honest).

If you want lower temperatures and less noise you just upgrade the cooler... the IDLE spikes will still be there though, just at lower temps.

Reactions: kurdtnz

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Its the voltage spikes that cause the temp spikes, set a manual frequency multiplier if it annoys you, but you lose out on boost and your core frequency will be locked at said multiplier but so will the voltage