AMD FX-6300 vs FX-6350 vs FX-8320

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I'm wanting to know between these three which is the best for my build.

PSU- Corsair HX850

Mobo- ASRock 990FX Extreme3

Gpu- Asus Radeon R9 280x

Ram- 16 gbs of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600

Just give me your opinions and if you think an Intel would be better feel free to suggest a mobo and a cpu or just a cpu is fine. But if you do please keep it around the same price, thanks guys

Solution
with a decent CPU cooler the FX 8320 is the best out of those 3, reason why is it has 8 cores, the FX 6300 is essentially just an FX 8320 with 2 cores/threads missing, and the FX 6350 is just the FX 6300 binned a bit higher and with a factory overclock.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Yes, but if you oc a 4670k you will also need an aftermarket cooler aswell. An i3 or 8320? I would go 8320 everytime.[/quotemsg]

That is not the point. If you can afford the CPU + the aftermarket cooler then why not just buy a higher CPU?

That is not the point. If you can afford the CPU + the aftermarket cooler then why not just buy a higher CPU?
[/quotemsg]

That is exactly the point. CPU + aftermarket cooler = better CPU? But with that better CPU you'll also need an aftermarket cooler which might step you up to a better CPU, and it continues.

Also since you asked my CPU cost me £108 and my cooler cost me £20. And the i5 4670k was selling for £165.

Anyways, CPU demanding or not, I would most likely always recommend an AMD processor for a budget conscious gaming build, partly because they fill the gap between the i3 and the i5 quite nicely, and partly because imo an i3 is not gonna cut it very soon, even with hyperthreading the physical core limitation is going to hurt a gamer pretty badly (just look at some of those insane upcoming games with a 4 core processor as the MINIMUM requirement)

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Not everyone is an overclocker, some just want a CPU that performs well at stock.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Well, when I bought my current PC I was certainly considering budget but it ended up turning into a money pit, maybe if I had more knowledge back then, I would have bought a better AMD rig that didn't turn into a money bit and I wouldn't be here right now bitching about it XD