[SOLVED] AMD FX8320 Build never worked at its potential... compatibility issues?

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Hey guys, Im a long time enthusiast. Although, I have always been somewhat limited on money. I built this PC several years ago (right before Ryzen came out :( unfortunately)
This PC wasn't cheap by any means but I have never had the performance you should expect from this hardware. Can someone take a deeper look and tell me if something is not jiving?
I run win 10 Pro fully updated.

Here is the hardware I appreciate any help someone can provide to me!

CPU: AMD FX-8320 - Liquid cooled temps are fine currently OC'd to 4ghz
GPU: MSI R9 390X - Temps are in normal ranges
RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600hz <--- Someone told me before this ram may be the culprit not sure never get any errors but i am unsure
MOBO: Asus Crosshair V - Formula - Z <--- Up to date bios however is from 2013
PSU: Seasonic EVO Edition M12 Bronze 850w

I know this system is dated but I never felt I got the full potential from it. The FPS in games is always under what my 144hz monitor needs with settings in mid to low ranges.
I can provide more information if needed.

Thanks guys.

Solution
I wouldn't recommend sinking any money into this platform at this point as there's nothing all that much better unless you get an FX-8350 for free (I'd need to be paid to be willing to take a 9000-series FX CPU). To be perfectly honest, I'm not seeing a ton of evidence of unusual underperforming here; this was always a bit of a disappointing platform in terms of gaming and it's nearing a decade old.

The Warzone FPS strikes me as right about what you would expect. I'm not a fan of YouTube benchmarks, but you're benchmarking only one game for us in a non-benchmarking scenario, so there's little other option and you'll find people with FX processors at 1080p low getting the same number of frames with even better GPUs. Your CPU is a...

4745454b

Titan
CPU: AMD FX-8320 - Liquid cooled temps are fine currently OC'd to 4ghz
GPU: MSI R9 390X - Temps are in normal ranges

Can you give us the numbers? One mans "fine" and "normal ranges" is another mans "why are you letting it get that hot?!" I was in another thread yesterday where the guy admitted to his CPU hitting 100C. And he wasn't sure what the problem was.

The big issue with your system of course is the 8320. They just aren't power house CPUs. Can you get load data for CPU and GPU while gaming? If the CPU or a few of it's cores are maxed out while gaming that would be the issue.

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I thank you for your response and have just tested both CPU and GPU temps over the course of a half hour of 100% on all cores. The highest temp recorded was 67c on the cpu and 75c on the GPU. My cooling is pretty good imo. What do you think? I dont appear to bottleneck the cpu/gpu as Im never 100% on either... any ideas?

PS. for example of bad performace is 97fps in COD: Warzone right now with almost everything turned off and low setting... this seems very poor to me

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Can you give us the numbers? One mans "fine" and "normal ranges" is another mans "why are you letting it get that hot?!" I was in another thread yesterday where the guy admitted to his CPU hitting 100C. And he wasn't sure what the problem was.

The big issue with your system of course is the 8320. They just aren't power house CPUs. Can you get load data for CPU and GPU while gaming? If the CPU or a few of it's cores are maxed out while gaming that would be the issue.
Ok so actually.... wow.. while gaming my cores go to 90+% very often. I never noticed this before.. they do not stay there very long but they are 70+% very consistantly... is there any CPU with this socket type that I could buy to get some time of good gaming out of this system before I full upgrade?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
You could get an 8350, or a 9000 series chip used for not a terrible price. The 8350 you could probably get a decent OC out of on your board. It's not going to get you much more performance tho, especially on newer titles. I'm running an 8350 myself still and am waiting for the ryzen 4000 series desktop CPUs to come out around October before I make the leap.

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Ok so actually.... wow.. while gaming my cores go to 90+% very often. I never noticed this before.. they do not stay there very long but they are 70+% very consistantly... is there any CPU with this socket type that I could buy to get some time of good gaming out of this system before I full upgrade?
and GPU PINNED at 100% ... obviously its the CPU doing that right.. okay so CPU that uses the same socket that will not bottleneck is what I need !

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
You could get an 8350, or a 9000 series chip used for not a terrible price. The 8350 you could probably get a decent OC out of on your board. It's not going to get you much more performance tho, especially on newer titles. I'm running an 8350 myself still and am waiting for the ryzen 4000 series desktop CPUs to come out around October before I make the leap.
im going to check out the 9000 series... maybe I can buy my way outta the bottleneck.. ill be happy to get another year before I get all new ryzen setup

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I wouldn't recommend sinking any money into this platform at this point as there's nothing all that much better unless you get an FX-8350 for free (I'd need to be paid to be willing to take a 9000-series FX CPU). To be perfectly honest, I'm not seeing a ton of evidence of unusual underperforming here; this was always a bit of a disappointing platform in terms of gaming and it's nearing a decade old.

The Warzone FPS strikes me as right about what you would expect. I'm not a fan of YouTube benchmarks, but you're benchmarking only one game for us in a non-benchmarking scenario, so there's little other option and you'll find people with FX processors at 1080p low getting the same number of frames with even better GPUs. Your CPU is a serious bottleneck at this point and any meaningful upgrade will involve an entirely new platform.

Solution

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I think im going to g

The Warzone FPS strikes me as right about what you would expect. I'm not a fan of YouTube benchmarks, but you're benchmarking only one game for us in a non-benchmarking scenario, so there's little other option and you'll find people with FX processors at 1080p low getting the same number of frames with even better GPUs. Your CPU is a serious bottleneck at this point and any meaningful upgrade will involve an entirely new platform.
Ya.. you just pulled my Ryzen trigger.. im doing it man! However I would like to continue using my r9 390x for now... is that a possibility? Obviously new RAM, MOBO, CPU are needed.

4745454b

Titan
From your second post it sounds like everything is getting pegged to 100% or close to it? 100% on the gpu is normal for games. And the 90%+ on a few cores can be a sign of cpu bottleneck. So what you need is a new setup. Due to the cpu you have I'd do that first. But upgrading either is a good idea.

I would NOT get the 8350 or 9xxx cpu. Neither is an upgrade. Fx is dead. Don't spendany more money on fx cpus.

mikey3808

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
From your second post it sounds like everything is getting pegged to 100% or close to it? 100% on the gpu is normal for games. And the 90%+ on a few cores can be a sign of cpu bottleneck. So what you need is a new setup. Due to the cpu you have I'd do that first. But upgrading either is a good idea.

I would NOT get the 8350 or 9xxx cpu. Neither is an upgrade. Fx is dead. Don't spendany more money on fx cpus.
Thanks brother

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Upgrading is the best option for sure. As far as your gpu, it will work fine in a new system. A newer system should draw less power than your older one, but if your PSU is up there in age too, you might want to get a new one as well.