AMD gaming build

shodeskie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
hi everyone im a long time intel gamer and i came from intel i54670k / msi b85 g41pcmate/ sapphire amd 7850 2gb.

now im planning to try and build AMD gaming pc.
im choosing between FX 8350 or A10-7870k which of this one is good? and will this both compatible with msi 970 gaming AM3+ mobo?

pls give me idea...
thanks... :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Neither. Even assuming that your desire is to build a second, weaker gaming PC, if you want to put together an AMD gaming build in 2017, the only smart thing is to wait and look at Ryzen, not muck around with a 2012 platform or an APU.

The FX-8350 was released at the beginning of 2012, and is extremely old, but it has aged pretty well. It's similar to a Core i3 in most games but draws about 3x as much power. It may or may not work with a 970 board, depending on whether or not the board supports 125w CPUs. Many are limited to 95w chips and using a higher wattage chip will result in bluescreens and possible damage to the board. Which board exactly?

The A10-7870K is closer to a Pentium dual core in overall performance (~$50), and is only as expensive as it is because it includes a relatively large integrated GPU. This GPU unfortunately is still only barely adequate for running higher budget games at minimum settings with barely playable framerates. This chip uses a different socket.

Most people recommend strongly against either CPU. Both perform worse than similarly priced Intel chips, but if you're just looking to build an AMD machine and you don't really care about how well it performs or if it's a good value, the FX is a better choice despite being older. However, AMD is set to finally release a new high-end CPU design for the first time in 5 years in about 3 months and will probably be discontinuing both of the CPUs you listed, so if you can hold off and see how this new line of chips performs, I'd recommend that.

shodeskie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
thank you guys for that warm idea and answers.... coz im totaly idiot when it comes to amd... although i heared and watched some videos i still dont get it, its just the thing i dont try i will never know the answer but still.... im considering the outcome... this i rig i had since 2013,
msi b85pcmate/ i5 4670k
sapphire radeon 7850 2gb
0corsair vengence 8 gb (2x4gb)
corsair vs 650w 2 tb wd/seagte
corsair speco1 6coolfans
aerocool bay touch r fan controler
liteondvd

to be honest even playing on a ultra high settings on a 50" samsung led tv, all games rock and this rig still gives like a monster outcome as it performs all high end game without fail or lag...
this was never reformated even once from start nor failed every program/ hardware or software as i love my rig.
im just afraid that (knocked on wood) 1 day it wood say bbye to me or like a season or carreer ending as it goes this 4th year.

never had an AMD or idea about AMD, so im thinking if ill do the change or upgrade should i go for the AMD and wait for that ryzen or just go and stay with INTEL.

you guys are pro.. and everyone here.... i just want some ideas that could break my thoughts were should i go...
pls advice me...
i will appriciate it so much...
thanks advance.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Definitely don't build an AMD rig before ryzen comes out. After it comes out and we have more data you can actually make an Intel/AMD decision. I'm going to build a new rig this year was considering it this month was going 6700k/z170/1070 but ryzen convinced me it'll be competitive enough to see how it will all shake out. So now I'll probably wait till may or so and see what is what