AMD gonna DIE!!!!!!!!

LOL!

AMD seems to be losing more and more business these days. gateway just cut off AMD and AMD has cut 2300 jobs and closed 2 chip plants! lol doh!

Looks like I might not HAVE a choice but to buy intel next time i upgrade lol.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the factories arent producing and others are more efficient with new technologies, only an idiot (such as yourself it appears) wouldnt lay off workers not required to keep production at a required level.

if in doubt blame microsoft...

lol .... amazing how no one can be mature by losing the name calling.. grow up ... lol ... it still doesn't stray way from the fact that AMD has lost lots of business.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Here's an article quoted on <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com" target="_new">HardOCP</A>, although they don't give the source. Looks to be either Yahoo, Zdnet, or Cnet, although they hint it'll be on AMD's site soon.

SUNNYVALE, CA-SEPTEMBER 25, 2001-AMD today announced it is accelerating key components of its strategy to reduce costs and enhance the financial performance of its core businesses. The company will close Fabs 14 and 15, two semiconductor wafer fabrication facilities (fabs) in Austin, Texas that primarily serve AMD's foundry operations. AMD will also reduce and restructure other manufacturing activities as well as administrative support associated with these facilities.

These changes will result in the reduction of approximately 2,300 positions, or approximately 15 percent of its worldwide workforce, by the end of the second quarter of 2002. Approximately 1,000 of these positions are associated with closing the fabs in Austin. The balance of the reductions will result from realigning and restructuring back-end activities in Penang, Malaysia. The company will provide severance packages and outplacement services to affected employees. "These actions will allow us to reduce costs without impairing our new product development activities in pursuit of long-term growth opportunities. We will focus our organization around our two most promising opportunities - flash memory devices and PC processors," said W.J. Sanders III, chairman and chief executive officer. "We will treat all employees affected by these actions with fairness and respect, consistent with our values and our commitment to our people."

Fabs 14 and 15 have a long history at AMD and are the company's oldest fabs. The two facilities were originally constructed in 1984 and 1985. AMD will take a one-time charge between $80 million and $110 million covering these restructuring activities and other special charges in the current quarter. When fully implemented, these actions are expected to result in an overall annual cost reduction of approximately $125 million.
<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
All I know is if Intel becomes the only chip producer, then I'll either not upgrade till a good intel processor comes out, or buy a silicon graphics supercomputer.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

hey thanks for the article...

AMD gonna DIE because they are losing lots of business as Gateway has just announced they have cut off ties with amd and went to just Intel. A lot of Name brand venders are going that route. ...

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
You remember back in the mid to late 90's with the K6-2 and K6-3. AMD was doing alot worse than they are today... I guess my point is that AMD isn't going anywhere (i hope)

Blame the newbies not the technology

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BurgerDude

As much as you think of me as troll or Intel lover I would hate it if AMD went out of business. Clearly Intel would slow or stop progress if they had no one to spar with. A strong AMD is good for everyone including Intel heads.

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I agree, but if Intel decides to keep the new PIII and optimize it AMD might have some big time probs.. Competition definitly runs the industry.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I don't want to really speculate, but this P3 may have a very tough challenge against the K8. Doesn't seem liek Intel will or should continue P3- after all, they want to sell P4.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah I also heard the the PIII will be discontinued, too quick compared to the P4. I just can't wait to see what both companies come up with this time next year.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
LOL

What else does your crystal ball envision oh great seer of the future?

:>

Seriously though,

AMD isn't going out of business anytime soon.

Even with the loss of Gateway and IBM, AMD is expanding its base on notebook computers which, I might add, is a much more profitable segment for AMD right now (and for Intel too as well probably)

Of course, a billion dollars in cash on hand doesn't hurt.

LOL...I just can't stop laughing as your post really was hilarious!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL really?

dont forget that intel is hurting alot too. The economic downturn is hurting both companies (take a look at their share prices)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
true, i am immature, but i have every right to be... and intel lost a decent amount to, amd have got to get their act together and release the athlon xp before it is too late

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LoL amd is consolodating its manufacturing systems, Intel layed off more people than amd just recently, lol. You should try to read up on the industry before making really stupid comments.(note I did not call you stupid, merely your comment)
PS: amd just BOUGHT the fab I work at, they are expanding where it is smart to expand and shutting down its older fabs, amd makes more than athlons you know, they are part of fasl, the worlds leading flash memory producer, which is taking a pounding due to the industry right now.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
""Umana umana umana....I seeeee.......faster computers in the future....."
"What else can you tell me, o great see-er?"
"I see.......competition.....""

I KNOW Skater!

You, sir, are NO Skater!

Back to you Skater!

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

ya i know lol ... but! it still doesn't escape the fact businesses are going strait intel... gateway and ibm are huge losses... or not.. i don't know how many amd systems were bought daily ... amd has compaq and who else? i can't think of anyone else... if compaq drops amd too they are in the dust... what other major brand name is there? i can't think so...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
IBM was not a huge loss, gateway will sting, but it is only temporary, if AMD had 51% of the market they would have ditched intel, it is simple math. The industry is the worse its been ever, but it will recover eventually.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

bentmelchior

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
I wouldn´t underestimate the private consumer market. (futhermore who besides Gateway have chosen intel??)
As long as the price/performance keeps showing AMD as the winner I don´t see any reason to be afraid of an intel Monopoly.
If you look around The global economy is having some trouble do to the fact of the terroist bombing, maybe this is having influence on chip production as well.

I have to agree with the persons, who talk about making a more effective production.( AMD building a new factory and closing down old ones )

Finally I´m pretty sure whe won´t have seen the last of AMD. This is not a similar case to Nvidia/3dfx. AMD are quite good at making quality products.(3dfx was not, Ind the end though, all hail voodoo1 and voodoo2)

Ï may sound like an AMD fan but my next rig will be P4.
current rig.
Athlon classic 700mhz
aopen ak72
256mb pc133 cas2
8.6gb 7200rpm hd
geforce2 pro 32mb DDR

soon to come
1.7ghz P4
i845 mainbord
( the only reason for i845 is that the mainboard will be a transitional solution until the 845ddr is released or sis645)

FatBurger

Illustrious
HP is still around. And don't forget places like Alienware and Falcon NW (I still can't believe they took out a full page in the back of the Tribes 2 manual! That couldn't have been cheap).
I'm sure there are more, but I forget.
Oh, and companies like Asus, that do notebooks but not desktops.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

ummm Was it that HP bought Compaq or compaq bought hp? i forget...

Still doesn't matter.. AMD has lost a lot of market share with IBM and Gateway gone... HP/compaq may drop amd next to and go strictly intel... we'll see what happens.. but unless AMD comes up with a killer product other than athlon xp, they are toast. AMD needs something, they need to pull a chip out of there butt! seriously ... with the poor computing market, companies going strictly intel to save money to stay alive amd will be left in the dark with only the power users with there flash lights to see amd.

thats how i see it. It's pretty clear that AMD MUST release a killer product. with tomshardware review of their chip smoking up doesn't help any by the way. right? it doesn't matter that you know the likely hood of your HS&Fan falling off is not likely but the average consumers hears that and thinks wow amd sucks and sees the P4 slow down and still work with no problems. Thats impressive... having your chip smoke up and damage your motherboard at what 300 degrees celsius is not impressive and pretty dam scary! 300 C! thats pretty dam hot! thats the reality of it. the consumers see that.

thats why AMD must release a killer product... or they are toast...

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I doubt they will be toast anytime soon. These companies need AMD around. If AMD went out of business(which they probably won't anytime soon) then Intel would start sucking majorly. Without any competition then They could raise there prices and put out sub par products and nobody would know. Don't tell they wouldn't. Intel is a very greedy company and already put's out subpar products and covers them up. The p4 is a classic example, the tually kicks major ass, why don't they produce that?? Oh yeah, it beats the sh|t out of their p4. They have the means to make good, inexpensive processors. They just won't until they have some real competition. I'm talking about AMD or another company taking Intels crown from them.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

maybe ... No one is going to hold AMD and help them lol ... maybe chapter 11 will but lol ... who knows what will happen but fact still remains AMD needs a killer product to win back the market share they recently lost...

ya it's pretty sad the tully beats the p4 aint it!?