AMD Morgan processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshaun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone know what slot type the Morgan Processor will use??? Is it slot A?

If it is will you be able to ugrade duron systems with the CPU?

Also what's different between a Mboard that supports AMD 1.5GHz+ and ones that don't?

Why don't all slot A motherboards support all speeds? Is it power output? It's not the multiplier is it?

Thanx

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We don't know anything that hasn't been released yet because anything that hasn't been released is hard to judge. However it will not be Slot A because Slot A is outdated like helf a year ago, not Socket A because the new processor is 64bit, thus creating more pin count I think. After all, putting a 64bit processor in a 32bit mobo is a nono.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

cshaun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought it was just the Duron on the 0.13 micron process????????????????????????????????

It's not 64bit is it? That's only slated for 1-2 years from now!!?!?

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OOOOhhh.... lookes like someone's lost.

1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

G

Where did you hear that the Morgan will be 64 bit? I've never read that anywhere, neither here at Tom's, nor anywhere else.

The Mustang was to be an "Athlon Ultra" with a huge cache (upto 2MB full speed L2 cache) and higher clock speeds, but still 32 bit. The Palomino will as far I know be something in between the T-bird and the Mustang (256-512K L2), but still 32 bit. Now, the Morgan is supposed to replace the Duron and the K6-line, and feature 128k L2 cache. I don't think AMDs first 64 bit processor will be for the budget market! That would be a strange move. Also, the Morgan will not use a 0.13 micron process. The first budget 0.13-cpu from AMD will be the "Appaloosa".

The first x86-64 processor will be one of the "hammers". "Sledgehammer" or "Clawhammer". Those are not scheduled for release until Q1 2002.

Apollo

G

I believe the Morgan will use Socket-A. The Socket-A is the platform AMD will be focusing on, and I don't see any reason why the company would undermine the Socket-A platform by inventing yet another platform this soon. The Palomino will definitely be for Socket-A, and so will the Morgan.

However, they both will probably use the 266MHz FSB. This means that if you want to buy a motherboard today, that can handle the Morgan tomorrow, you will at least have to get a chipset that supports a 266MHz FSB, and that means the AMD 760.

One of the purposes of the AMD 760-chipset is to support the Palomino! So that chipset should definitely also support the cheaper Morgan.

I don't see why the multiplier should be a problem. As for power, my impression is that the new processors will have a lower power consumption than the T-bird, which means that if it can power the T-bird, it can power the Morgan.

With a Socket-A mobo with AMD 760 chipset you should be fit for the future, at least for the Palomino and Morgan.

-Apollo

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
alright whatever maybe i got mixed up

1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The new 64-bit processors arn't going to be as fast as they sound. I say this because there is no 64-bit software yet and the chip itself will be running 2 processors actually. One 64-bit and one 32-bit processor. 64-bit processors from AMD arn't due out until mid to late 2001 possibly as late as 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.