William e Smith

Reputable
Jan 23, 2017
So I got a new graphics card!
I chose AMD this time around for the extra VRAM.
I've had no problems so far! The FPS improvements are well worth the 200$ price I think.
Ever since I got the card, however, I've had some problems with Minecraft. I can't get above 70fps without dropping every single setting to the lowest. Mods like Optifine help but I'm playing the newest versions of the game and Optifine isn't released for them yet.
I tried different driver versions, even so far as completely removing the drivers I had and getting a fresh install in Windows Safemode.
I know AMD has some poor performance in the whole OpenGL department but I didn't think it was this bad

Any tips to help me improve performance in OpenGL games / Minecraft?

Specs:
CPU: I7-3770k OC to 4.4Ghz
CPU cooler: H80i from Corsair (AIO)
GPU: RX 580 8GB STOCK SPEEDS
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 (4x4)
MOBO: Maximus IV gene-z Motherboard
2TB SATA SSD
2TB HDD

Idle temps: 34 degrees Celsius
Max temps recorded: 71 degrees Celsius

Last edited:
Solution
Main issue with OpenGL on AMD is that the night janitor is way overworked disposing of all the unsold AMD products, in addition to his other job writing AMD drivers.

Has nothing to do with the PSU - it's a well know problem with AMD OpenGL performance - regardless of PSU.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Main issue with OpenGL on AMD is that the night janitor is way overworked disposing of all the unsold AMD products, in addition to his other job writing AMD drivers.

Has nothing to do with the PSU - it's a well know problem with AMD OpenGL performance - regardless of PSU.

Solution

William e Smith

Reputable
Jan 23, 2017

make and model of the psu?

Regarding the Power supply, I have a 1000 watt modular PSU, forgot what it actually is. I didn't cheap out there, I know that.

and regarding the fact that it is a well known problem that AMD just doesn't work well with OpenGL, I still am looking for some way to make the most from the card. If there's any way to get any decent performance bumps, I'd love to know!

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Regarding the Power supply, I have a 1000 watt modular PSU, forgot what it actually is. I didn't cheap out there, I know that.

and regarding the fact that it is a well known problem that AMD just doesn't work well with OpenGL, I still am looking for some way to make the most from the card. If there's any way to get any decent performance bumps, I'd love to know!

Minecraft is heavily CPU intensive - not sure OpenGL is your issue. Not sure if Mine craft can make use of Vulkan - Vulkan replaces OpenGL and is much better supported on AMD video cards.

Minecraft is heavily CPU intensive - not sure OpenGL is your issue. Not sure if Mine craft can make use of Vulkan - Vulkan replaces OpenGL and is much better supported on AMD video cards.

it is definitely opengl issue. if you look at emulators (that for years utilizing opengl) you will also going to see terrible AMD vs nvidia performance over there. to my knowledge minecraft did not support vulkan and i'm 100% sure it will not because MS already bought the franchise. it will later going to use DX12 though but i'm not sure of it is exclusive for RT support only or will also available for vanilla minecraft.

Reactions: William e Smith