AMD Posts First Profit in Three Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah video is a big factor lately for AMD. I have seen countless amounts of nvidia users, who would have chose nvidia, go to ati for price and now dx11 and sheer performance. Nvidia is taking too long.

Congratz AMD. :)

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Who cares what intel makes. It's about 13 months of loss and they finally got out of loss by themselves. The profit is bigger thanks to intel's money, but at the same time they would have made more money if intel hadn't done what they did.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Even if you're an Intel fanboy, this has to make you happy.

We all know Intel was sitting fat and lazy until AMD started kicking their asses and woke up the sleeping giant. Competition is good for all and keeps prices down. Gratz AMD!

Now if you only we could get some good competition for the government...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm excited about this. It's always good to have competition in the marketplace. It's nice to see them profitable once again - let's hope they can invest in even more R&D and catch up with some of the new things Intel has pushed out recently.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Several factors at work here.
If Intel had not encroached there marketplace
If nVidia had released a good graphics card
etc etc etc
The only thing to look at now is future performance.
AMD no longer has Intel running anti-competative and ATI has current graphics dominance. So if the next year's profits are also increased it will be the true sign of strength.
Don't expect the competition to take it lying down though.
Intel will simply hit the market place with CPUs that are more powerful and consumers will vote with their feet.
Big ask but if nVidia can pull their finger out and release Fermi and get back to being the alpha dog then again, consumers will vote with their feet.
AMD need to see this as an opportunity to boost themselves higher and higher. Pour every penny into R&D and get a CPU that beats Intel for once and steal nVidia's thunder with the HD6000.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I'm just hoping they invest the money properly and release something that can compete with Intel's core i7s now that they seem to have Nvidia firmly in hand. By the time they release their new gpu to market it may in fact be better then the 58/5900's but will it keep pace with the 6000's that are released 2 or 3 monthes later?

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I agree competition is great. Intel has made a lot of profit, now AMD also made some profit that means that both have money to spend on research.

I would find it very intresting to see how much profit was made by which section (Ati, CPU's chipsets lawsuits ^^....)and how much money each section consumed.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
YAY, good for AMD. I don't understand why they got a profit tho, with their CPU's not being near as good as Intel's. Maybe the price of 200$ for a Phenom 2 compared to i7 at 1000$ is what made more people buy AMD? I dunno. Too bad that profit is not without the Intel settlement. Let's hope for a good 2010!

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Okay, finally some good news from what seemed like a graveyard for the last few years!

Things look cheerful too for the coming year:
-ATI still has a few months market hegemony left.
-Even when Fermi launches, it will probably be very expensive and scarcely available. In the budget segment, where the majority of sales are made, they'll probably retain a healthy lead, same for the mid-end segment.
-AMD is finally out of the black hole called Global Foundries.
-CPU's are looking grim atm, but for early 2011 new architectures are planned that could put them back on stage. AMD also remains a great choice in the budget segment.

G

This is great news. The CPU market needs some tougher competition; otherwise Intel will become complacent yet again. If they can start making profits without lawsuits this year then this can only be a good thing for the consumer.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Good for them, but it also mean that they probably will make a loss next year. You can't really put "lawsuits revenue" in your budget right?

Also, litte typo here : Though AMD didn't received

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Okay, finally some good news from what seemed like a graveyard for the last few years!Things look cheerful too for the coming year:-ATI still has a few months market hegemony left.-Even when Fermi launches, it will probably be very expensive and scarcely available. In the budget segment, where the majority of sales are made, they'll probably retain a healthy lead, same for the mid-end segment.-AMD is finally out of the black hole called Global Foundries.-CPU's are looking grim atm, but for early 2011 new architectures are planned that could put them back on stage. AMD also remains a great choice in the budget segment.[/citation]

All great points. I especially agree with what you said about Global Foundries and the licensing changes that have occurred. I don't think people realize what a load off AMD this is as it will allow to spend more on research and development on architecture rather that fabrication. I have always loved AMD, but they need to pick it up in the performance segment a little more for me to become a fanboy :p

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Good for them, but it also mean that they probably will make a loss next year. You can't really put "lawsuits revenue" in your budget right?Also, litte typo here : Though AMD didn't received[/citation]

Yes, but it is not the budget it does on it is the income statement as non-revenue income.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Even when Fermi launches, it will probably be very expensive and scarcely available.[/citation]

You mean like ATI's current offerings? The only thing worth upgrading to in my case is a 5850 or 5870. They are now starting to be readily available with their high pricetag to go along with em.

Or is $400 is not very expensive to you?

Actually Anandtech has a much clearer analysis of the results, at AMD Q4 2009. If you go by GAAP accounting, AMD lost about 64M in Q4 without the Intel settlement, and 938M for the entire year. However this is a huge improvement over 2008 where they lost 1.4B in Q4 and 3.1B for all of 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.