News AMD-Powered PS5 Demo Puts Your PC to Shame

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
This is really cool, a kind of mesh shaders approach using screen space (pixel coverage count) to determine real on the fly dynamic LoD changes? That's what it seems like. And then using fast i/o from the SSD to keep original cinematic LoD models available for those mesh shaders. Combine that with full global illumination, and we didn't even need RT for anything.

Reactions: salgado18

azcn2503

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
This looks great! Whenever RDNA 2 cards drop and a Linux driver becomes available, I'll be upgrading from this GTX 970.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
According to Sweney/Epic this runs good on a 2070S so a proper wording would been "Put alot of PC to shame"... since if a 2070S runs this good... i wounder what a 2080TI would do for instance... put PS5 to shame?

I'm sure they'll come up with some forms of geometry compression to greatly reduce size while retaining most details. 100GB per game is already getting ridiculous IMO.

It's definitely going to be much more than 100GB per game on nextgen. This is why Microsoft is going to sell those 1TB SSD cards with their next gen console. The cards connect to the internal PCIe bus directly, so it's NVMe.

Lol, yeah, no.

AMD RDNA2 ray tracing is done in the cloud.
Pushing the idea that RDNA2 does ray tracing in the cloud again. That slide that you linked a month or so ago disproves your statement. When you look at what it says, under Hardware it states Next Gen RDNA, that is most likely RDNA2 so the ray tracing is done there. Later on it says it will be cloud based which will free up your resources for other things.

Thretosix

Honorable
Apr 27, 2017
According to Sweney/Epic this runs good on a 2070S so a proper wording would been "Put alot of PC to shame"... since if a 2070S runs this good... i wounder what a 2080TI would do for instance... put PS5 to shame?
There you go using logic. Clearly this is a clickbait title. You have to take anything Sony related as their bias / paid for opinion. Only way for them to drum up attention is to go out on a limb and say stupid things to make people scratch their heads and read the article then also open up the comments for a flame fest so they get more clicks. It's a sad business model. This is like the tabloid of tech information. I just read articles here for a good laugh. I'm sure the PS5 is going to be great. They're delusional to think it will put a high end PC to shame. One would think that arguing the value would be a smarter route. The PS5 and Xbox Series X for the cost they will be a bargain compared to a PC built for $500 to $600 for playing games. Considering the 3080ti will also be out by the time these consoles are out or shortly after. It will be hilarious to revisit this article in the holiday season.

InvalidError

Titan
Considering the 3080ti will also be out by the time these consoles are out or shortly after. It will be hilarious to revisit this article in the holiday season.
That's what I was thinking too. With Nvidia roughly quadrupling RT performance in the 3000 series so all RT features can be enabled at once with minimal impact to performance, PS5/X graphics will get knocked down a rung or two down on the relative PC performance ladder. The end of this year should be pretty interesting.

May 11, 2020

You serious? Can you please compare stuff of the same price range, please?

May 11, 2020
That's what I was thinking too. With Nvidia roughly quadrupling RT performance in the 3000 series so all RT features can be enabled at once with minimal impact to performance, PS5/X graphics will get knocked down a rung or two down on the relative PC performance ladder. The end of this year should be pretty interesting.

Apples to apples, pretty please? 400$ to 400$, 2000$ to 2000$.
Big, big thanks.

Also, the uploaded video only runs at 30 FPS, though it does have 4K support.
According to the developers, it was rendered using a dynamic resolution, supposedly around 1440p "most of the time", likely with upscaling and sharpening to achieve that "4K" at 30 fps...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...xt-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5

Holding a Master's degree in game design, I've noticed how much detail gets lost in the optimization process, and the thought of just not having to worry about it anymore has me reeling.
I'm pretty sure assets will still need to be optimized. Being able to run "cinematic-quality 8K assets" in realtime might sound great, but remember that SSD storage is going to be limited. The launch PS5 is only going to have 825GB of storage, and it wouldn't surprise me if the assets from this short demo were nearly as large as many current-gen games. Perhaps they will implement some form of model compression though. It could even be lossy, as the assets might not necessarily need to store every polygon in its perfect location when triangles are that small.

I do suspect CPUs will be getting more of a workout handling all of this data though, and higher core-count processors will probably be seeing greater utilization of their available threads.

According to the developers, it was rendered using a dynamic resolution, supposedly around 1440p "most of the time", likely with upscaling and sharpening to achieve that "4K" at 30 fps...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...xt-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5

I'm pretty sure assets will still need to be optimized. Being able to run "cinematic-quality 8K assets" in realtime might sound great, but remember that SSD storage is going to be limited. The launch PS5 is only going to have 825GB of storage, and it wouldn't surprise me if the assets from this short demo were nearly as large as many current-gen games. Perhaps they will implement some form of model compression though. It could even be lossy, as the assets might not necessarily need to store every polygon in its perfect location when triangles are that small.

I do suspect CPUs will be getting more of a workout handling all of this data though, and higher core-count processors will probably be seeing greater utilization of their available threads.
While the upgraded GPUs will be nice, the MASSIVE upgrade in CPU performance will be the biggest asset to the PS5 & Xbox. That will allow for better physics and AI as well as the ability to keep the GPU feed with data. Going from the Jaguar core to Zen 2 will be at least a 400% increase in per core CPU performance.

Reactions: Bamda

InvalidError

Titan
I'm pretty sure assets will still need to be optimized. Being able to run "cinematic-quality 8K assets" in realtime might sound great, but remember that SSD storage is going to be limited.
They probably used the 8k assets simply 1) because they could and 2) to spare themselves the trouble of having to clean up simplified assets in time for the tech demo when the source models may not be final yet.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
There is always a brief window of time in which newly released consoles dominate stagnated GPUs. I am perfectly happy to allow console peasants to experience that fleeting sense of superiority for the next few months or so... enjoy it, fellas!

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
While the upgraded GPUs will be nice, the MASSIVE upgrade in CPU performance will be the biggest asset to the PS5 & Xbox. That will allow for better physics and AI as well as the ability to keep the GPU feed with data. Going from the Jaguar core to Zen 2 will be at least a 400% increase in per core CPU performance.
Everything about the console opened a new way to make games entirely. Today's 3D models are sculpted like clay, and then there is a lot of work to reduce 30 million polygons to 50k. With those SSDs, they are puting the raw 30M polygon model on the scene, which the new GPU handles, but also it can be dynamically loaded into memory in real time because the storage is so fast. And huge textures too, and (probably) ray-traced global illumination.

The CPU is just a part of the equation, like the GPU and even the SSD. Everything together, including raytracing hardware, is what made this so impressive.

Reactions: Bamda and mareees
Apr 10, 2020
This is a demo and is fantastic! But will real game look like demo?

On HW side consoles use AMD APU, nothing special. PS5 is 8 core Zen2 what is something like Ryzen 7. GPU will be class RX 5700. Question is how much Windows PC is deliberately killed by Windows? For sure MS for XBox tunes performance but I'm also sure they are slowing desktops too. It is not first time.

Reactions: mareees
This is a demo and is fantastic! But will real game look like demo?

On HW side consoles use AMD APU, nothing special. PS5 is 8 core Zen2 what is something like Ryzen 7. GPU will be class RX 5700. Question is how much Windows PC is deliberately killed by Windows? For sure MS for XBox tunes performance but I'm also sure they are slowing desktops too. It is not first time.
While the APU is "nothing special," that would only be for desktop computers. This is the first time since the original Xbox that the CPU isn't woefully under powered when the console launched. For reference in 2001 the Xbox came with a 733MHz Pentium III/Celeron hybrid, in 2005 the Xbox 360 had a 3c/3t 3.2GHz PowerPC CPU that was said to only have single threaded performance of about a 1.3GHz CPU in the Xbox, and the Xbox1 has the Jaguar CPU (enough said). On the PS line it isn't any better. Basically since both consoles are going to have very similar hardware, it will be easier for developers to make the games and the hardware is good enough to finally push things forward for computer gaming.

Reactions: Bamda
Everything about the console opened a new way to make games entirely. Today's 3D models are sculpted like clay, and then there is a lot of work to reduce 30 million polygons to 50k. With those SSDs, they are puting the raw 30M polygon model on the scene, which the new GPU handles, but also it can be dynamically loaded into memory in real time because the storage is so fast. And huge textures too, and (probably) ray-traced global illumination.

The CPU is just a part of the equation, like the GPU and even the SSD. Everything together, including raytracing hardware, is what made this so impressive.
Yeah, but it will be a kick in the pants when you can only fit 3 games on the SSD at one time.