AMD Radeon R9 290 Review: Fast And $400, But Is It Consistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
This is a win at $400! Good job AMD!

value-99th.gif

value-fps.gif

http://techreport.com/review/25602/amd-radeon-r9-290-graphics-card-reviewed/9

Chris, these results differ drastically from real world results from 290X owners at OCN... I understand that your observations are anecdotal and based on a very small sample size but do you mind looking into this matter further because putting such a statement in bold in the conclusion even though it contradicts real world experiences of owners just provides a false assumption to the uninformed reader...

The above claim has already escalated further than it should... A Swiss site actually has already rebutted by testing their own press sample with a retail model and concluded the following:

With the results in hand, the picture is clear. The performance is basically identical between the press copy and graphics card from the shelf, at least in Uber mode. Any single frame per second is different, which is what may be considered normal as bonds or uncertainty in the measurements.

In the quiet mode, where the dynamic frequencies to work overtime, the situation becomes slightly turbid. A minor performance difference can be seen in some titles, and even if it is not about considerable variations, the trend is clear. In the end, it does an average variance tion of only a few percent, ie no extreme levels. The reason may include slightly less contact with the cooler, or simply easy changing ambient temperature.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
This is weird, something must be wrong with your system. I have an i5-2500, GTX 780, 16 GB G Skill 1333, 500 GB samsung SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit, and on Ultra with 4x MSAA I get 80 - 100 FPS....

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Multiplayer would add more stress to the CPUs / GPU's. Like I said, something is wrong with their machine. I would prob get higher on single player. Im going to check and find out.

I agree that the stock cooling is pretty bad but in honesty, no matter how nice they make it after market is always better. The Titan may not have had after market but if it did it would have cooled better.

It looks like a good card for the price as it even keeps up with the $100 more GTX780. This is good as NVidia may drop prices even more which means we could also see a price drop on the 290X and I wouldn't mind a new 290X Toxic for sub $500.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
In terms of potential performance it seems like a great card, but you get what you pay for with regards to chip quality and cooling.

Best to wait a month or two before buying to see how this all goes down

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Wow a 12% boost with non-reference coolers. Can you imagine what'll happen with the 290X when we see that? Thanks AMD! Some much needed competition!

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Some people who need CUDA for work and GPU for gaming will still get 780s, but no one will get 290x for $150 premium just to get a couple more FPS over 290. AMD just shot themselves in the foot before hurting nvidia.

G

If the AIBs can address the noise and heat (assuming sufficient channel quantities), AMD has a nice cash-cow.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The cooler is one of the reasons that the card is cheaper than the competition. Why invest so much on a reference cooler when every guy who goes "ultimate hardware" wont use it anyway? The high end cards have a nieche consumer target who will go 3rd part coolers and watter...
Nvidia made a very good job with the reference cooler(but you really pay for it)... do you think AMD could not have pulled of a "monster" cooler?? is it really hard to make a good cooler? no, it is expensive.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
BTW, you guys @ Tom's, make a call to Nvidia and ask them: "guys, how much does the cooler on the GTX 780 cost?" after that, make the call to AMD and ask the same question about the cooler on the R9 290/290x.
You could do this, you have youre sources :)

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Most of us were expecting $450! With $400 AMD is leaving a little meat on the bone for when we custom coolers. Personally, and I only speak for me, I'll take this card with it's heat, noise, performance and etc for $400.

Strange thing and I know some of us were going through this. I was thinking getting a 280x on Black Friday/Cyber Monday but the price tag is leaving me with something to think about. I think I'm just going to save up the few pennies to get something I thought was out of my price range ($300-450) a month ago ($650+).

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Well as a long time AMD fan this is both great news and cause for concern. That disparity between retail and press cards is disturbing to say the least. I am also curious if a proper cooling solution would rectify that problem. As to why I like AMD well much like their CPU's the Hawaii line looks to be power hungry and hot but will shine if power is not a concern and pampered by someone who knows what their doing. I'm looking forward to what I can do with one of these with a proper water cooling setup.

monsta

Splendid
"Clearly there’s something wrong when the derivative card straight from AMD ends up on top of the just-purchased flagships. So who’s to say that retail 290s won’t follow suit, and when we start buying those cards, they prove to underperform GeForce GTX 780?"

Something ain't right here, so the one you buy in the stores are slower than the ones AMD gives Tom's to benchmark and review?

007roh

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
There is no way R9 290 can be as powerful as 290x. Probably 290x will get software update , which will bring it to the level of 780 Ti or close.

And like many others I am also wary of R9 290. Will wait for the non-reference 290's review.

Still Hats off to AMD for opting for such bold price / performance regardless of temp and noise level.

Status
Not open for further replies.