AMD Radeon R9 290 Review: Fast And $400, But Is It Consistent?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
@Chris: Maybe try using the Arctic cooler on the retail 290X?

Hope you have a 290 and 290X roundup planned! I think this would be the first time where a good cooling solution would have a direct effect on performance, perhaps even more so than overclocking.

cvearl

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Dumb move. At $400, dropping noise levels a tad and coming in just below GTX780 performance would have STILL been amazing and all of these reviews would have been "OMG" performance/value card of all time! Then the partners could have released exotic cooling versions in the $429 - $449 zone that would curb stomp the 780. Why AMD? I might just get a $500 EVGA GTX780 Superclocked and wait a few years to care again.

C.

Isn't it amusing how the fans are all overlooking that bit! :lol:

Now if Nvidia were to do the same with the 780Ti I bet they would have something to say. ;)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Well, AnandTech actually recommended against buying this card simply because of noise.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review/17

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

What you're saying actually makes a ton of sense. But other sites are reporting that this was supposed to be competition for the 770 (which i think we all were expecting), before the price drop...which is probably why AMD ended up panicking and doing this.

Jordan Nwokolo

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
NV has send a full battalion of troller to all around the tech web to bashing this card,even tough they know that their effort is useless..they shouldn't to do this,coz better to them to focus and concentrate their energy to repair their FAILURE in mobile Soc

GBJudgeEhud

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
@Chris-

Which version of the 770 did you use (2gb, 4gb?). You don't list it in the setup with the other cards. Sorry if you have that stated somewhere else in article and I missed it. Since all the other cards listed in setup have >2gb of vram, I wonder if the 770 was having frame buffer challenges at the higher resolutions, if it was a 2GB version.

Thanks for the nice review.

As bad as the thermals and acoustics appear there has been worse that few have bothered to take notice from cards in the past like the 590 ect. This card is easily fixable provided it is in a decent case and the crappy stock compound is replaced. Wished that it came with a back plate which would shave off like 3c but would make it look better.

They could very easily redesign the cooler to use copper fins and a single connected heatpipe to loop over the top from the vapor chamber which would make the card run cooler thus hold clocks better.

Tonim89

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
A high end Arctic coler would turn this card into a Titan killer for 500$ less money, and completely smoke the GTX 780 for less money too. My only concern was the power consumption, but ut seems to be at the same levels of the 7970 GHz Edition.

softplacetoland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Wow, I was reading comment section and literally I could have seen the moment when NVidia trolls started to crawl out to the light. Creepy XD

Simple, keep cheering. Doesn't affect people who chose wisely, no matter which color ends in their hands.

kenh536

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Gah all these variances between beta drivers and cooler performance causing throttling. I don't care about numbers until the true story is revealed: Non-reference cards with nice coolers and optimized drivers AMD vs Nvidea. Only THEN will I believe numbers.

"The only thing I hate in your reviews Chris , is because you over exaggerate about noise..."

Bah, silliness, he's reporting on what people care about.

Kudos to Tom's for slapping their own cooling solution onto a board. You're one step closer to slapping water on reference cards for review time. =)

Agreed, noise tolerance is relative but for most users, this GPU at 47% fan speed will annoy ANYONE.

stevethejew

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
im no nvidia fanboy. in fact I have 2 280x cards in my rig as I write this. but those benches between retail and sample 290x look extremely sketchy. I wouldnt trust those 290s until I saw more retail benchmarks.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

As long as you completely ignore the benchmarks from the RETAIL cards tom has that were basicaly 770's.

If 290's follow the TWO 290x RETAILS he had here these cards suck and AMD cherry picked reviewer's cards. I tend to believe RETAIL purchased cards when there is such a difference. I'm thinking they can't get anywhere near the perf of the PRESS cards that were received or why are the two retails so far below what all press cards show? AMD will have a crap xmas if people around the web start benching retail cards and getting what tomshardware has shown here. I'm sure we'll have a few retail cards benched at review sites before the end of this month. That's not going to be good for AMD. That performance is TERRIBLE and those should be BETTER picked gpus as they are 290x cards! You would get WORSE chips from a lower model, as you cherry pick the top bin.

Spoken like a fanboy who ignored the review you're commenting on. Did you see how bad the benchmarks were for RETAIL in the charts? None of them are good.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I don't think you understand what a titan is bought for usually. Sure a few buy them for gaming (and lets not forget it's been out for 8 months), but most buy for PRO features that your radeons get smoked by (and all other NV cards that aren't Tesla). They fly off the shelves at $1000 because a TESLA is $2500 and basically is a Titan with full driver support for pro apps. So for pro people, no matter what you think, Titan is still an awesome deal today. If you are a GAMER only and had the cash for a Titan, you clearly are unaffected by this months news from AMD anyway...LOL. If you were a gamer only, you should have bought 780 instead if you have any worries about $$$.

DrKlahn

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

If you look at enthusiasts sites people are getting the performance of the press cards (there is a 43 page thread on Overclockers.uk). The review states the clockspeeds fluctuated on the retail 290x's. The cards may need to have their fan profiles adjusted or it could be a driver bug that is limiting the 290X. Perhaps the 47% limit is being inadvertently being applied to the 290X (which should be 55% in uber mode). It's to bad the article alarms the reader, but doesn't do any real digging into the cause. I'm betting setting the fan cap to 100% (just as an experiment) would mirror what people have been seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.