[SOLVED] AMD Radeon R9 390 - runs hot and noisy

Robo Reptile

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
What the title says. When playing video games (particularly the more graphically demanding ones), the in-built GPU fans create a constant whining noise that is somewhat distracting.

As an experiment, I started up MSI afterburner then booted up Metro: Exodus. I didn't actually play the game, mind you - I just hovered over the main menu for a few minutes then closed the program. Here are the results on the graphs:

GPU temperature: Held steady at 42 degrees celsius before the game ran (while I was just running Windows 10 plus Firefox), very quickly climbed to a peak of 85 degrees before I closed the program. (Isn't that nearly the boiling point of water? Can that really be right?)

GPU usage: held steady at nearly zero before running the game; very quidly climbed to 95-100% when running the game.

GPU fan speed: held steady at just under 40% (1838 RPM) before running the game; very quickly climbed to a peak of 90% (93260 RPM).

I suspect that the GPU is set to overclock even when this is not neccessarily beneficial. However, I am essentially a beginner when it comes to modifying graphics card settings. What should I do?

Solution
Given this is a few generation old card, I would suggest replacing the thermal paste. The stock TIM becomes ineffective after years.
It also may be helpful to blow the dust off of the card.

Is this noise coil whine or fan noise?

Robo Reptile

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
Given this is a few generation old card, I would suggest replacing the thermal paste. The stock TIM becomes ineffective after years.
It also may be helpful to blow the dust off of the card.

Is this noise coil whine or fan noise?
It's definitely the in-built GPU fans. I tried holding them in place with my fingers for a few seconds, and that quited them down.

Also, I just tried turning down the max temperature slider on MSI afterbuner from +94 to +60 and running the game again...but I think that caused the fan to be even louder, struggling to bring the temperature down to specifications.

I recently blew away the dust with a can of compressed air, but the thermal paste has not been replaced in years. I'll try replacing that, as you suggest. It'll take at least a day or two to get round to that, and I will update this thread when I do so.

By the way, quick questions regarding MSI Afterburner - do the slider options apply even when Afterburner is not open, or does it have to be open for the GPU limiting/overclocking settings to take effect? And do I have to worry about conflict with the "AMD Radon Settings" program?

Robo Reptile

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
If you save the settings as a profile and set that to start with windows it will.

If you change the settings, click the checkmark, and close the program it still applies untill restart.
So...restart the computer and the MSI settings will cease to apply unless saved to a profile.

Is there a reason why the Max Temperature slider keeps jumping to maximum every time I click the tick mark?

So...restart the computer and the MSI settings will cease to apply unless saved to a profile.

Is there a reason why the Max Temperature slider keeps jumping to maximum every time I click the tick mark?
  1. If you dont save the settings to a profile and click the "apply at startup" button, the settings go away after a restart.
  2. Sounds like a bug.MSI afterburner doesnt do it for me. My temp, power, and MV are maxed out normally tho.

Robo Reptile

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
MSI Afterburner measurements, after scrubbing the previous thermal paste and replacing it (in the X formation):

GPU temperature: Maxed at 70 degrees.

GPU usage: Maxed at 99%.

GPU fan speed: Maxed at 53 %.

A massive improvement all around. Thank you, based @remixislandmusic!

Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS