AMD Radeon RX 460 Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, a 450 would require different silicon since there's no point releasing a different SKU that's just underclocked with no other differences. I, and others, are talking about this exact chip clocked at speeds that bring power consumption under 75W . . .

. . . and this is exactly why we're curious about it. We want to see how low the clock has to go and how much performance you lose over what we see in these benchmarks.

Probably could, but that takes time. With so many GPU releases in the past few weeks, not to mention a possible shortage of review units, who knows how long that would take.

artk2219

Distinguished
They could just handle the clocks like the do in the Fury line where they vary them depending on temperature and power consumption. Have a baseline of 6 to 700 and turbo to 1 or maybe even 1.1 depending on the power usage at the time. That leads to variable frames though. Ideally its done pretty organically and you will never notice, but doing something like that they could get decent performance and stay within 75 watts ish (within 10 to 15%). As the rx 480 review showed you can go a bit over and so long as your components are relatively modern and aren't the crappiest of crap you should be fine.

Useless comment - Im not sure how to feel about this, with the 6 pin requirement, the performance is not that compelling, while its good, a used 960 can likely be found for the same price and offer superior performance.

artk2219

Distinguished

Honestly for around the same price you can find an r9 280x that will smash it. But you wont get that new card warranty, and you certainly wont get the power consumption of a 460. Im curious to see what they release between the 460 and 470 since there is such a large price and shader gap, or if they release a 480x thats a bit better than the 480. Their product stack is well positioned right now with lots of places to move prices and spots for new sku's. This could be the most interesting generational battle since the HD7000 series debuted, or hell even the HD4000 series before it that really screwed up Nvidia's pricing structure.

There is bound to be a 460x with the Polaris 11 chip enabled with 1024 shaders and likely higher clock speeds, its coming that much is for sure. The price however I'm not so sure about.

Edit perhaps a 1280 shaddder version as I read on another website should be the full unlocked chip.

Jonathan_100

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
The Gtx 950 is generally faster than this card and can be had for 120 USD ... 20 USD rebate, and sell the promo code for 35 USD... ... so about 65 USD......

The inferior 460 is junk.

artk2219

Distinguished

At the current price point for this particular version of the 460 i agree, there are too many better options at the same price. However, once they drop the price and/or release a version that does not require a 6 pin PCIE plug then it changes, since there is no card that is as or more powerful without an external power supply. Also, some people dont want to, or cant spend extra money for a better power supply. Either way the OEM's would eat those up in the volume market.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Factoring in discounts, promo codes and rebates isn't particularly helpful in a value comparison, as one or all of them won't be available to all buyers. We in the U.S. are a bit spoiled in that regard. The fairest way to look at it is by street price excluding any of those bonuses. Currently, the best price for a 950 is 130USD on Newegg, and 140USD on Amazon. At 110USD, the RX 460 compares pretty favorably.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Exactly.

Plus Nvidia puts forth so little effort in the $80 - $150 region that AMD can just launch this and clobber everything surrounding it.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Haha omg the bedlam that was caused by 4870 and 4850! People were just receiving their 260/280's in the mail when the stronger 4850 launched at half the price, and the 4850 at 1/3rd the price!

What is it day 2 or so of the release of the RX 460? It is very early in the life cycle of this GPU to think these are all we'll see. I would expect the 1st versions to be more performance versions of the new GPUs so they can charge more for them. Later I expect the more toned down versions targeted at more value oriented buyers will come out.

toobzman

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Nice review. Sure is a large gap between the 460 /470 . Perhaps AMD will release a 460x to fill this void in the future .
Why did you omit the GTX750Ti from the power consumption comparison ? Seems to me that when anyone mentions power consumption, the GTX 750Ti is THE card that everyone talks about ...

Interesting. It has identical clock speed to the one I got even though mine has a 6-pin PCIE cable. Matter of fact everything is basically the same.

Edit: Wait, that is the one I purchased, model numbers match. Newegg's image of the card shows a 6-pin PCIe cable. XFX's page does not. Which is true?

First image is from XFX's website, second one from Newegg.

d1xPkR8.png

And the spec page for the card says 6-pin PCIe cable. And it even comes with a molex to PCIe cable, so yeah, it has one :(

I love it, lol!

Newegg is correct. It has 6-pin cable. Even XFX's spec says so.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

Rats! Thought that someone had finally made a cordless graphics card:(

A cordless VGA card? How would you hook your monitor to it?

If you mean w/o a required PCI-E power adapter fear not my friend you still have the GTX 750 Ti, the 740, 730, 720 , 710. Then on the AMD side there is R7-250, R7-240, R5-230 to name some options for you.

Grahf85

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I love how AMD showed off a small, single slot card with a small fan. Now that the rx 460 is released we get a huge double slot card with two fans. Awesome.

I don't recall AMD ever making a actual RX 460, I thought they just had their board partners build them. The 460 has only been out a short period of time I sure there will be a lot more flavors and variants coming. I'm sure some will be single slot, fan-less, and low profile in the end you should have a good selection to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.