AMD Releases Value-Oriented Athlon II X2 280

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Aside from your bad grammar, your trolling is atrocious. This is actually a very smart move on AMD's part, as this should help counter the Pentium as the budget CPU of choice.

It's pretty impressive for being only $50

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
>Athlon II X2
>2013
LOL! That's not even funny, guys!
I'd understand if that was some Phenoms, but Athlon?....AMD...seriously....wtf are you doin'? You're making entire world laugh and poke fingers at you.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]darksable[/nom]^Aside from your bad grammar, your trolling is atrocious. This is actually a very smart move on AMD's part, as this should help counter the Pentium as the budget CPU of choice.It's pretty impressive for being only $50[/citation]

I could be wrong, but I don't think he was trolling. I laughed at his pun anyway. But I do agree it's good that they're releasing a new Budget CPU, even if it likely doesn't stand a chance again Intel's budget offering. But what AMD really needs to do is get the Athlon II X4 750K out.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]>Athlon II X2>2013LOL! That's not even funny, guys!I'd understand if that was some Phenoms, but Athlon?....AMD...seriously....wtf are you doin'? You're making entire world laugh and poke fingers at you.[/citation]

It's called getting rid of old inventory (it even supports DDr2!). Better to sell it for a bargain price than to toss it into the dumpster.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

I don't understand what's funny or even wrong. Intel still releases new lines of Pentium and Celeron, lol.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]$50? I'd rather spend a little more and get a much better processor. There are often great deals on superior Phenom II X4s.[/citation]

Exactly my point, but AMD-kids will keep on raging and thumb me down for my previous comment just because they're totally inept and don't use brains before doing something.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Exactly my point, but AMD-kids will keep on raging and thumb me down for my previous comment just because they're totally inept and don't use brains before doing something.[/citation]
Well if you make a point that makes you look like a 12 year old. You get what you deserve.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]$50? I'd rather spend a little more and get a much better processor. There are often great deals on superior Phenom II X4s and X6s.Like this Phenom II X4 965 for $75 (as of 02-11-2013) :http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] No=2372719[/citation]

Not all motherboards can handle 125w. I happen to have an AM3 board that can't. This is a good upgrade for someone looking for a fast dual core to play most of today's and all older games with.

G

Intel releases Pentiums and Celerons, sure.
(hint: they're not using outdated lithography like this particular "budget offering")

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]just tested this. Its faster than the FX8350[/citation]
I was also shocked to discover that by overclocking my Pentium 4 to 4.0 GHz, it could run laps around some Core 2 Duos!!!

True story.

peanut_bully

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]just tested this. Its faster than the FX8350[/citation]
System specs and results, or it didn't happen!!

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
This is a viable replacement for those with very tight budget who want to upgrade without changing the motherboard.

FM1/FM2 sans the GPU is a flop though.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Becaus enothing beats clock speed, period. 2 cores is probably the most you'll get out of todays "just make it compile" programmers. It's truly a dying art. Everyone just wants their results and they don't care how they get it (IBM excluded). A 4GHZ single core processor will wipe the floor of a quad core 2.0 ghz processor. memory can't be shared between cores. You are still only excecuting one instruction per cycle (2 w/ "hyper threading"). Either way data from core one, can't be shared with core2, so you are always suck waiting. Multicore is a marketing gimick.

emdea

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Becaus enothing beats clock speed, period. 2 cores is probably the most you'll get out of todays "just make it compile" programmers. It's truly a dying art. Everyone just wants their results and they don't care how they get it (IBM excluded). A 4GHZ single core processor will wipe the floor of a quad core 2.0 ghz processor. memory can't be shared between cores. You are still only excecuting one instruction per cycle (2 w/ "hyper threading"). Either way data from core one, can't be shared with core2, so you are always suck waiting. Multicore is a marketing gimick.[/citation]

Right on the first part. Very wrong on the rest...

For everyone not doing hardcore video editing or some crazy exact and multithreaded 3d rendering a Dual Core with solid architecture clocked at over 4Ghz will be enough. Yes, even modern games at ultra settings.

Only thing bad about this CPU is the lack of L3 which more and more apps take advantage of...

Status
Not open for further replies.