[SOLVED] AMD RYZEN 3 2200G integrated graphisc or GTX 550 Ti

Mortarious

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
So I'm upgrading my PC and apparently the AMD RYZEN 3 2200G got some pretty amazing integrated graphics.
The Radeon Vega 8 Graphics is actually capable of playing modern AAA titles in low res and details with something like 30-40 FPS.
I was planning on getting it anyway just for the upgrade in processing power.
Obviously a dedicated GPU is needed for better gaming, and I plan on doing that.
But since upgrading will take me some time I was thinking:
Would it be a smart idea to get ride of the GTX 550 Ti on this build and run the AMD 2200G for games until I buy a new better GPU for it? Or will the GTX still handle some games better?
I know it's an ancient card and all but I never really considered integrated graphics and it just occurred to me that a selling the old card will save me sometime in upgrading the build. At least get a stick of ram or something.
So any actual data on that?
Also would it be out of the question for both the Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and the GPU to work together?

Solution
That's exactly what I used. But I not totally convinced.
For example the difference is there but not sure how exactly will it translate in gaming.
I'm also not sure if using a dedicated GPU and leaving the CPU to CPU stuff can lead to better results than using some of the power of the CPU to game.
I'm sure that a 2200G will push the good old GTX 550 Ti to the limit, but would it translate to a better gaming experience or not?
I mean judging by those numbers a GTX 550 Ti can get some impressive results, I already now that running Bioshock Infinite and modded Skyrim with an ancient machine already.
Another thought... step up to the Ryzen 5 2400G or 3400G for twice the CPU thread power. Does that fit your budget? Amazon has the...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
This "on paper" comparison shows the Vega 8 to be on a par with the 550 Ti. But each game has its own preference. Probably better to just stick with the iGPU while you save for that new card. Speaking of which... Check out the GTX 1650 Super if you have a good quality 350W PSU or better.

Mortarious

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
This "on paper" comparison shows the Vega 8 to be on a par with the 550 Ti. But each game has its own preference. Probably better to just stick with the iGPU while you save for that new card. Speaking of which... Check out the GTX 1650 Super if you have a good quality 350W PSU or better.

For example the difference is there but not sure how exactly will it translate in gaming.
I'm also not sure if using a dedicated GPU and leaving the CPU to CPU stuff can lead to better results than using some of the power of the CPU to game.
I'm sure that a 2200G will push the good old GTX 550 Ti to the limit, but would it translate to a better gaming experience or not?
I mean judging by those numbers a GTX 550 Ti can get some impressive results, I already now that running Bioshock Infinite and modded Skyrim with an ancient machine already.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See you say more thing sthan just related to gpu. You talk about adding ram stick,only using one stick of ram right now?

The dedicted gpu will keep system memory free so keep that in mind. I get that you already own the gtx 550 ti?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Another thought... step up to the Ryzen 5 2400G or 3400G for twice the CPU thread power. Does that fit your budget? Amazon has the 2400g for $148.95.
The Vega 11 has better gaming graphics at 720p than the Vega 8. Then you could sell the 550 Ti and put the money toward a better card when funds allow.

The Ryzen's CPU and GPU are independent of each other. I don't believe they share any resources that would be a performance drawback. I've built with both the 2200g, 3200g, and 2400G so far. The Vega 11 games pretty well as long as you don't mind dropping to 720p rez and medium settings.

Solution