News AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 CPU Emerges with DDR5-6400 RAM

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Darn it. They ate the "NB" speed in the picture. That would've given us the IF speed! Bummer.

Also, was this a single stick of RAM or 2?

More questions than answers, lol.

Regards.

DDR5 is either gear 2 or gear 4

for 6400 the mclk is 3200, at gear2 your uclk on the SOC would be 1600mhz and IF would also be 1600mhz since IF doesn't have problems at that speed

DDR5 is either gear 2 or gear 4

for 6400 the mclk is 3200, at gear2 your uclk on the SOC would be 1600mhz and IF would also be 1600mhz since IF doesn't have problems at that speed
AMD doesn't use the "gear" terminology. They have free ratios you can use with it. My comment/question was more about the speeds it would use for that RAM speed.

Regards.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
AMD doesn't use the "gear" terminology. They have free ratios you can use with it. My comment/question was more about the speeds it would use for that RAM speed.

Regards.
it's a memory term, yes AMD calls it 1:2 ratio and prob 1:4 for DDR5

Not sure about free ratios! The ratio are usually equal to IF or step downs on Zen3

I didn't find any details on DDR5 memory controller on AMD so I guess all of us are waiting for reviews or AMD to release info.

Last edited:
it's a memory term, yes AMD calls it 1:2 ratio and prob 1:4 for DDR5

Not sure about free ratios! The ratio are usually equal to IF or step downs on Zen3

I didn't find any details on DDR5 memory controller on AMD so I guess all of us are waiting for reviews or AMD to release info.
No, they actually allow free ratios; and it is implied they're lower ratios RAM:IF. If you want to use DDR4-4000+ you can get very weird ratios (I've seen 13/21, for example) if you allow the motherboard set them. So it is not restricted as the Intel "gear" nomenclature is or implies. Not that I have much experience with it.

Also, I've never seen the term "gear" used in the context of memory (exclusively). Do you have any references? As I understand it, it's just a term Intel introduced after Coffee Lake, I think?

Regards.