Question HP laptop not seeing external monitor after input switch ?

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hi all, this is a little complicated, so bear with me..

I have a home pc/work laptop setup with my main monitor (BenQ EL2870U) connected to both a home-built PC via HDMI and to work laptop (New HP ZBook with RTX3500 running Windows 11) via DP.

The laptop is connected to a HP G5 USB 3 dock and the display connected to DP on that. I use both laptop screen and external monitor when working.

throughout the day I may have cause to switch input on my monitor from 'work' to 'home' and back. When this happens the external monitor frequently (not always) fails to be detected by the laptop - it'll say
"No Signal". Switching inputs on monitor will do nothing, PC HDMI input will be displayed fine, laptop DP will insist there's no input.

The laptop appears to be aware of the presence of the external monitor, and it's resolution/spec is shown on the display properties dialog on windows, but can't seem to wake it up. I usually have to tickle the display by telling the laptop to display desktop on just it's owns screen, then extend back to both monitors, this works 90% of the time, but occasionally I have to unplug the dock and re-plug it in. this is a chore, as it resets the window positions of all my software

Sometimes, it'll reconnect and work fine on switching inputs.

What is annoying is this setup worked fine with my previous (6yr old) dell laptop, with no display issues.

Drivers are up to date, I've set the screen not to timeout on inactivity, and frequently wiggle the mouse on the laptop to keep it awake anyway.

I can probably switch the laptop/monitor connection over to the other unused hdmi port on the monitor in case this is an issue with the displayports, but beyond that I'm kinda out of ideas... Any suggestions anyone?

Lutfij

Titan
Reactions: ouch

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
HP G5 USB 3 dock
This might be a good read;
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-USB-C-G5-Dock-cannot-get-drivers-or-firmware/td-p/8915233
if you don't have either mentioned in that thread, perhaps pass on a link to your hub. Many brands to have a revision or rebadged product in their product portfolio.

https://www.benq.com/en-in/support/downloads-faq/products/monitor/el2870u/software-driver.html
See if installing that driver helps as well.

this is the dock I'm using: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5-p-26d32aa-abl-1

it's got RMN HSN-IX02 on the bottom, which as about as close as I can get to figuring out what flavour it is at the moment. It appears in my device manager as ta HP USB-C Dock G5,

I've put the BenQ drivers on the system, however they seem to make no difference.

Edit: I've found a part number on the packing in my loft which corresponds to the dock on HP's website, I've updates the dock firmware (as well as audio drivers and other stuff which was suggested), yet still no difference in behaviour.