Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Searching around and just trying to get clarification on something to do with XFR and the various clocking Ryzen will do.

Today we are learning that for example the 1800x will run at ;

A base speed of 3.6 GHz - boosting to 4.0 GHz depending on workload presumably -

Then working up to 4.1 GHz with XFR

My query is - if you were to OC this CPU - raising the base speed - is boosting an added function to your new base speed or not. AND is XFR tied to operating only within the 4.0-4.1 GHz range or will Ryzen seek that 0.1GHz extra over whatever new top speed you achieve via OC?

Just wondering!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It depends on the benchmark used. If we take CB15 single thread then

74.60 * 1.52 = 113.4

which is between Ivy and Haswell, and only 5% above Sandy.

82529.png

5.png

For CB multithread one has to add the gains from SMT.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

IF Anandtech used a watter cooler for the 6900k and AMD uses the stock air cooler for the 6900k, then WHY Anandtech got 153 score, whereas AMD got a higher score of 162?

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Thats great idea, an we can see what everyone is able to overclock to and what cooling is being used. Also which chips are giving the best results/speeds

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

should it not be the same score regardless of what type of cooling is being used. testing IPC not clock speed. !

edit:
would different types/speed ram or MB or benchmark build or even os build account for different reults in IPC ??

Also if it was the other way round an AMD where reporting lower IPC than Anand did there would be blue murder goin on right now on the forums.. but I guess either AMD are giving intel too much credit (doubtfull) or anandtech got the 6900k IPC a little too low....

Or maybe later build on the bench marking suite taking advantage of more instruction sets on the CPU could account for a better IPC score since then..

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Since all the info about Ryzen hosting Motherboards are out and they say 2666 mhz up is the frequency received.
What will be, I am not sayin the optimal choice for Ram, but if I buy 3600 mhz or 3200 are they wasted?
I know for precise answer we will need testing and so on, but how does it really work (I mean anybody knows that is the Motherboard "bus" and "reception" of 2666 mhz ddr4 RAM? thanks.

I am talking about x370 Mobos.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The last leak was 8-core first [strike]and rest of chips one month latter.[/strike]

EDIT: it seems confirmed that R5 comes in Q2 And R3 in second half of this year.

L-BfwWhiPsoAKnkFMbfJvCo8tlH1gFbC4qGHI_Xf-XE.jpg

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Wait to reviews, but last leaks said that Ryzen scales up well up to 3600MHz, with near 50GB/s writes on AIDA64.

8350rocks

Distinguished

AMP/XMP is supported up to 3200 MHz from most board manufacturers that I have seen. I bought DDR4-3000 for my build because the value was too good compared to the DDR4-2400 prices. Only $15 more got much higher speed RAM.

Yeah each ram generation there is usually a sweet spot- when DDR3 came out DDR3 1600 was always cheaper than 1333 in my experience, despite being faster. More recently 1866 was probably a better option.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Have question about the security in Naples... SEV, SME & AES... have two articles contradicting each other... one is off yibada and say's it could easily be hacked:

http://en.yibada.com/articles/178396/20161212/amd-zen-sev-secure-according-security-experts.htm

The other is off wcccfffttt... whatever and say's it's genius something intel quite simply hasn't got.. actual ram in the server is encrypted an the key to decode is stored on the server in question (prevents ram being hacked or even stolen from the machine, certain types of ram hold there info even with no power.. ie solid state I suppose) this apparently is something Intel has nothing to compete with it an will be very useful in this new cloud computin age...

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-encryption-sme-sev-hw-based-sha/

I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this as I think this will give AMD a major edge in the server market, if it does what it says on the tin that is.??

Jay

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions and info. Interesting this Sweet spot (Price thing).
I know you maybe already know, I know you guys don't care abt Europe I guess, but some of us come here from EU to inform emselves since it's easier with you ppl to talk (at least for me). So here you get this danish norge german web site with all the prices, and I have to say, it must be a preorder no taxes, but they look lower then I expected, (I thought 329$ would be minimum 350 Euro i.e.) : https://www.proshop.dk/Bundkort/ASUS-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-Bundkort-AMD-X370-AMD-AM4-socket-DDR4-RAM-ATX-/2582449 (if you write in search box Ryzen Amd) check all that comes out, your eyes will smile ;)

Just a noob question again: Of course I can't talk earlier then reviews: they might say this tuff is 0, they might say "hey get the 2666 if you don't wanna have a mess etc... but, What does it mean on these RAMS CL 14 CL 15 , 16 19 ... It's the CAS latiency .. but will review tell us what is the best CAS to take for x370 with 1700 Ryzen or we actually already can tell CL 15 is ok as CL 16 etc? can you please "educate" me about this?
Thx.

I just have good prices I think in my hands and that's why I am a little pressuring. (I don't think RAM will go lower then now like 135 dollars for 16gb 2x8) 3200mhz... and that's why I am interested to know more things abt PC (as you see) than on specifically Am4 ryzen compatible x370 and the ram slots.

I'd suggest a minimum CAS of 15.,

I'd stick with 2666 for now, but ram prices have been creeping upward since christmas,

8350rocks

Distinguished

With RAM, lower CAS is better. CAS relates to the Latency in the memory, and relates to the time it takes to get the information from the RAM.

So, Screwy says "at least 15", which is a recommendation I would agree with, that means anything 15 or lower would be fine. So, if you run across DDR4-2400 through DDR4-3200 anything in that range would be fine, and a cas latency of 15 or less would be most desirable. The difference between 14 and 15 is not really a great deal, but the difference between say, 11 or 12 and 15 can be noticeable depending upon what you use your PC for.

Just keep in mind, however, that the lower the CAS on the RAM, the higher it usually tends to run in price. My own RAM is only CAS 14, IIRC, so 14-15 would be fine.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

CAS numbers are relative, not absolute. A DIMM with CL15 does not necessarily has to be better latency than one with CL18. It depends on the speeds:

Latency (nanosecond) = 2000 * CL / speed (MHz)

Latency = 2000 * 18 / 2666 = 13.50 nanosecond
Latency = 2000 * 15 / 2133 = 14.06 nanosecond

The module with CL18 has better latency than the module with CL15.

c3-speed-vs-latency-table.png

jdwii

Splendid

I completely agree also unity can really make use of all the cores i'd always recommend a 8 core fx over a I3 skylake in that case, or with virtual machines just not games. Ryzen man i'm so happy and i can't tell people enough in this thread how much i'm happy to be wrong and in a way Juan i feel thinks the same.

Underestimating and getting more then what i expected is a far better feeling then i had with bulldozer where i was expecting big and got disappointed.