Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The i7 has the same Haswell muarch, but more cache, more threads, and higher clocks. It is weird that it got lower score. If it got a lower score then something was wrong: methodology or hardware. Just saying hey looks the i5 was faster than the i7 doesn't solve the problem. Same with the i5 Skylake vs the i5 Haswell.

This logic applies to any rational measurement. We don't do measurements and publish anything we measure. There are hundred reasons that a measurement can go wrong. That is why the results of measurements have to be checked before publishing. Outliers and blatantly wrong results cannot be published.

Moreover, this rationality is even more needed in this special case. The argument made was that the R5 would provide a smoothing gaming experience because it has more execution resources than i5. We cannot then link to a bench where a i5 gets higher 0.1% than an i7, if only for consistency of the argument.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The second performance graph in my former post

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3327589/amd-ryzen-megathread-faq-resources/page-33.html#19628916

is from a recent review that includes all the last patches/upgrades, including the last AGESA/BIOS 1.0.0.4 with the latency reductions. Things have changed in the low single digit percent since the first reviews, because no magic patch/BIOS was going to change RyZen muarch. I have been saying since launch, that no magic 'fix' will improve RyZen average performance by 10--20%. Patches can affect one or two games that were broken, as it happened with AoTs, but individual patches will not change the average gaming behavior. And BIOS updates can change situation only by 5% or so, because a ~6ns latency reduction is not going to do anything when your latency gap was about one order of magnitude higher than that.

RyZen problem is structural and it will be not solved, if it is, until Zen2.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Not only I have just explained how memory latency can affect frame latency on memory-bound games, but I provided benches showing how frame latency is reduced by up 70% on certain games when RAM is clocked higher.

Then the graph is even more useless, because we cannot extract IPC from comparing 4-core to 8-core. If we take this ordering

upload_2017-4-12_21-2-6-png.21691

we obtain a score of 139.50 for an 7700k underclocked at the R7 1700x levels. And this score is only 4% higher, but not the IPC gap. To get the IPC gap we have to compare the (4-core/8-threads) 7700k with the (4-core/8-threads) R5 1500/1400 or compare the (8-core/16-threads) 6900k with some of the (8-core/16-threads) R7 models...

We can see the R5 1500X/1400 are more close to Sandy/Ivy than to Kabylake.

Arc911

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Ryzen seems to perform better with high end cards than it does with low end/mid range cards.
It needs a discussion as said by this reviewer here : https://youtu.be/BjoagsOxMn0?t=6m48s

Also this review says the same : https://youtu.be/kVS0NJyWZus?t=45s

Why does Ryzen seem to perform better with high end cards when ram is oc ed vs when using low end cards n non oc ed ram ?
Is it the Infiniy Fabric ? Or is it just same with intel ?
Can someone please shed some light on this

{p.s im aware that these reviwers are not well known but this does bring up a theory so as to speak}

So I watched that vid- so the 'ryzen performing better with high end card' is just that the G4560 is bottlenecking the high end card so it can't go any faster. The 4 core 8 thread R5 1400 has a lot more power behind it so it can push the 1080ti up to faster frame rates.

When you switch to the RX480 in quite a few of those charts you see the G4560 and R5 1400 sitting close to each other- this isn't Ryzen performing badly but the fact that at 1080 ultra settings the RX480 is hitting it's limit (so there is no gap). Ryzen still performs well (there are a few tests which are more cpu heavy where it's still way out in front).

The key is however getting balance- there's no point pairing a Ryzen 7 1800x with a RX550 entry level gpu, just the same as there is no point pairing the GTX 1080ti with the Pentium G4560. With a slow gpu (e.g. gtx 1050, RX 460 class) the G4560 is often enough to keep the gpu fed and running flat out. If you are looking for a higher end build with something like a GTX 1060, RX480 or higher than you'll probably need more cpu grunt like an i5 or Ryzen 5 cpu.

The only result in there that was out of place was where the G4560 was ahead of the R5 with the RX480- although I only saw that once and it's worth noting the *minimum* frame rates where better with the R5.

As for ram- Ryzen will perform better with faster ram, although the same is also true for Intel cpu's. However again if you have an entry level graphics board that will often become the limiting factor meaning you wont see much (if any) scaling from memory.

8350rocks

Distinguished

1.) Benchmarks from memory bound games do not show a general trend. There are only about 3-4 popular games that are heavily memory bound, and you posted the benchmarks for those. The other 1,000,000+ games are different from those 4.

2.) You are insinuating that somehow system memory is going to impact the draw time of the GPU producing frames? I could understand talking about VRAM, but there is no logical connection to support system memory impacting GPU draw times. System memory would also have no impact on CPU issuing draw calls either, since the resources for the game would be loaded into cache.

3.) If you are calculating IPC, trying to extrapolate from multiple cores is apples and oranges. IPC is a per core measurement. So compare single core benchmarks...there are many out there. Why are you trying to construe multi-core throughput as being somehow equivalent to IPC? There are different terms for these things for specific reasons. Single core IPC benchmarks are available, those show the IPC gap. Multi-core throughput benchmarks are available, and those show the difference in throughput. Which is it you are trying to accomplish?? I am confused because it appears to me you are trying to convert throughput into IPC, and that is a fool's errand because results will be wildly inaccurate.

jdwii

Splendid
^ With my own testing i am trying my best to figure out the IPC of this chip or to keep some members in this forum from shaking their head performance per cycle haha.

It's not easy i'll say that much, finding tests that run on just 1 thread or one core

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2748993

Ryzen 1700 3.7Ghz 2933mhz ram Amd Balance
My Geekbench run
Single core
Multi-core

This is the test at performance mode instead of Amd's latest Balance mode
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2749164
Single Core 4263
Multi-core 23502

Dolphin benchmark gets 503 seconds with Amd balance on instead of performance which gets 490 seconds. So just to get that little tiny bit more performance i'm keeping my system at performance instead of Amd's balance

jdwii

Splendid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4k_ErEg-FU&t=431s

With higher-end GPUs ryzen really benefits from faster ram sped in some cases by 30%

Yes ofc- my point was though that it wasn't a case of Ryzen performing poorly with a lower end gpu- it's just that in that case the gpu is the bottleneck so host processor won't really change the benchmark much (same goes for memory). With a high end gpu the bottleneck will shift back towards the cpu / ram so more to gain.

jdwii

Splendid
Man why don't people talk about how cool ryzen runs this is crazy i almost don't trust the temps

http://s23.postimg.org/trg2jh61n/Temps.png

This is on my Kraken X61 with fans set to 25% only. Voltage on ryzen is set to 1.225V 3.7Ghz, These temps are after 1 hour of benchmarks and 2 hours of gaming in fallout 4. Temp in my room is 68F

Most of the time temps in fallout 4 were at 32C or so. Like man that is half the temp my Haswell chip was running at with the same cooler. Intel please go back to your old way of putting the heat spreader on the CPU!

With my wraith cooler getting only 10-15C higher temps i must say i think Ryzen will do well in laptops they need to make some 65 watt 4 cores with SMT and a integrated GPU for a laptop. Or just bring a low clock 6 core part of ryzen for laptops.

Remember textures need to get into main memory before they get to the CPU. As a general rule, so much is pre-loaded nowadays where its really hard for a legitimate memory bottleneck to occur in gaming (the HDD is far more likely to be the culprit if data isn't in memory yet), but it certainly can happen under certain situations. At the end of the day, if the GPU is sitting around waiting for data, yeah, that's going to affect latency.

As has been noted, AMD chose a mobile based process for Ryzen, which is playing a large part of keeping power/temps down at stock settings. Start to approach 4 GHz though, and power/temp draw increases at a fairly decent clip, again due to the process chosen. I'm not surprised Ryzen is fairly cool at stock.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Everyone,

Its that time again, time for a groupwide warning. I want you ALL to take a look through the last 2 pages of posts. All I see is calling out, aggressive responses, and even worse, it seems some people have taken to moving the goal posts around just to make their argument valid and use that to call people out. Now what I SHOULD do is delete all this stuff but I'm going to let it live as the discussion is otherwise productive.

That however ends with this post. So read my warning above, consider what you are writing and know that we are watching, and if I continue to see this, you will at a minimum see your posts deleted. At worst you won't be here any longer. You all know we have done it before in this thread, I don't want to have to do it again but I will.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I found the source for the chart. It is a tweet from AMD

https://twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/858028371141419008

The original is an animated GIF and the last part of the GIF contains the specifications. It is not IPC measurement but 8-core stock vs 4-core stock. The 1080p gaming part of the chart is not from AMD measurements, but apparently obtained from third parties

1iVro6g.jpg

Note that the information is contradictory. One asterisk in the chart means Premium Gaming and two asterisks in the chart mean 1080p gaming, but in the specifications, the two-asterisk footnote mentions "Premium Gaming" as well.

I have absolutely no idea of how AMD got the 8% gap in the chart. Other reviews give ~20% gap

upload_2017-4-12_21-2-6-png.21691

1080_All.png

Even one of the sources used by AMD gives 13% gap

MunKn62CRwenz9EWvEcm9X-650-80.png

Note that PCGamer uses geometric means instead arithmetic means, and this must be closing the gap.

jdwii

Splendid
^^^ Something is terribly wrong with those results either slow memory or a bias selection of games. It's important to note that you can't get IPC from games unless you disable one CCX(even then its hard to do). From my own testing i'm seeing ryzen close to haswell in most cases in single core in others its better then ivy-sandy but fails to beat haswell like in dolphin emulator.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-5-1500x-4c8t-cpu-review/

This is my favorite review as they include both haswell and sandy. They also OC sandy and ryzen to 3.9Ghz.

Others should take a look at this as well, but even then it should be noted that games do not understand ryzen as two quad cores.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Those reviews are using stock RAM. Kitguru is using OC RAM, which I find a bit weird and unfair: 3200MHz Ryzen vs 2400Mhz Haswell!! Not to mention that their Haswell chip was an engineering sample.

Despite all that, the conclusions of the kitguru reviews aren't very different from rest of reviews:

Gaming performance for Ryzen is still off the pace set by Kaby Lake and other Intel architectures. That point is still true for Ryzen 5 in its four-core, eight-thread guise. There were instances where the Core i5 was significantly faster when paired with a powerful graphics card.

Switch to a 4K gaming resolution and you’ll struggle to notice a performance difference between Ryzen 5 1500X and Core i5-7400. However, even at 1440P when paired with a GTX 1070, the multiplier-locked Kaby Lake i5 is a little quicker.

Worth noting, though, is Ryzen 5 1500X’s spare CPU capacity whilst gaming thanks to its SMT implementation. Those four additional threads compared to a Core i5 can be used to power background activities such as game streaming. This is a task that will result in definite slow-down on the Core i5-7400 as it tended to stick close to 100% utilisation when delivering its gaming results.

Power draw on the 1500X is noticeably higher than that of the Core i5-7400. Disproportionally so, too, as the increase in power draw is larger than the performance boost obtained by opting for AMD’s eight-thread chip. With that said, the levels are far from concerning and they are not going to add significant cost to an energy bill.

Thermal performance was good, even with the included Wraith Spire cooler (which is a potent heatsink fan). We dialled in 1.40V for the overclock and were met by temperatures well below 80C. Core i5-7400 runs cooler, despite its physically inferior stock cooler, thanks largely to lower power draw.

Our conclusion for the Ryzen 5 1500X is somewhat mixed. If you have a hard budget of less than £200 for a CPU, the 4C8T AMD part offers superb value for money in computational workloads. However, Intel’s Kaby Lake competitors are faster if all you do is play games.

If you have a mixed variety of workloads which include gaming and productivity, Ryzen 5 1500X puts itself forward as a solid choice. This is thanks to its balance between productivity capabilities and good enough gaming performance when paired with a sensible graphics card for buyers in this market.

Unlike the Ryzen 5 flagship 1600X that is overshadowed by its cheaper, overclockable sibling, the 1500X is worth its $20 price increase over the 1400. You get noticeably higher out-of-the-box frequencies (especially for XFR), double the shared L3 cache, and a better CPU cooler.

As such, we have no problem giving the 1500X a positive recommendation if you use your system for more than just gaming. Significant challenges will, however, be thrown the 1500X’s way if there is any price reduction on the £30 more expensive six-core Ryzen 5 1600.

jdwii

Splendid
Ryzen must be tested with 2933-3200mhz memory in fairness sake i say let all the platforms be tested with the fastest memory but ryzen's performance tanks pretty bad(20-30% In cases) in games when used with high-end GPU's with slower memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOsYOASddeo&t=689s

But anyways that review at kitguru seems to be my favorite as it actually tests ryzen with high-speed memory and it tests sandy 4 core 8 thread at a ryzen 4 core 8 thread.

Part of me wish's Amd just made normal 4-6-8 core processors then things would be easier to test.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

My wish is AMD made the 4-core parts with only one CCX, even if delayed by half a year or so.

jdwii

Splendid
Though i'm not that big of a fan of joker productions as i do see him as a fanboy that doesn't mean i don't trust his results in some cases he really needs to be more neutural but hey whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPwtlki0FVo

Here is a video of the upcoming prey game and the 1700 is beating a 6800K when the 6800K OC 4.3Ghz and ryzen is at 4.0Ghz.

Also if anyone is interested read extremetech news on what Intel said about temps on the 7700K once OC. Won't post the link here as its not Amd related. But i hope Amd doesn't switch over to TIM based in the future to save money. Intel should really consider going back to the older way even more so since their design overclocks so well.

Edit lol Joker's video went down typical haha