Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

I did notice that! I wonder why exactly they did do that. It does make it look suspicious while at the same time providing old upper mid grade video card performance. FPS numbers with the 480 and 1060 didn't show much of a difference between Ryzen and Intel either though.

jdwii

Splendid

Ryzen with high speed memory and a OC to 3.6Ghz-3.8Ghz or more starts to look a lot better for gaming. Just to prove how strong Ryzen really is from a per core basis I've been playing a decent amount of games on Dolphin with the option "enable dual core" off and DirectX12 mode on and 4X native resolution for 1440P, and its actually been fine.

However whats odd is there is a skip here and there when i turn that off. unless i set it to core 0 and core 2 under task messenger(meaning i think Dolphin isn't seeing SMT right on Ryzen), If anyone knows Dolphin no way in hell would that work on one core with PD not even at 5Ghz.

I'm going to note Dolphin has a lot of long-standing issues with the "enable dual core" option; they had to put out a blog post about it a year or two back, and the consensus is that it breaks things (especially the GPU thread, due to various race conditions) and should be left off unless you actually require the performance.

Also, if you're using the latest official release (5.0) and not the latest daily builds, its unlikely Dolphin is optimized for Ryzen in any way.

jdwii

Splendid

Yes already beat that score and i'm at 1.21250V 3.7Ghz on the stock cooler and it runs very cool like night and day when it comes to haswell in that department. My 4790K ran HOT HOT in comparison.

In turns of Ryzen being limited i have to blame probably Global Foundries 14nm more then Amd's design as the processor runs super cool being a real 8 core.

Anyways for anyone wanting a 1700 i bet you could set voltage at 1.25V and at 3.7Ghz and be 100% stable if anything that should be the starting point and then try 3.8Ghz(gonna try that next). I'm not a fan of overclocking using AUTO voltage never will be a fan of AUTO voltage as boards can set voltage way to high.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Gamerk316 I'm a day trader and their estimates were right in line with what analyst expected. That is a highly manipulated stock! Too many institutional hands controlling it's movements. I made a lot of money off it, but really haven't touched it in months. Their next 2 quarter projections are much better. I would suggest when AMD hits bottom from this to buy, because next quarter and the one after that Ryzen, Vega and Naples will have had full impact. Naples is where AMD actually has the biggest chance to double it's profits. The cloud server market!

Yeah the financials aren't great (although not terrible either)- it's worth noting though that they only *just* include Ryzen and I think early supply was limited due to lack of motherboards which probably slowed it down. It's possible of course that Ryzen isn't selling, I had someone the other day questions when I was chatting about my plan to get a 1600.. 'if your going to spend that much why not just spend that bit extra and get the "better" processor (referring to the 7700k)". He wouldn't have it that a 6 core 12 thread R5 1600 is actually *faster* than a 7700k when it comes to work tasks. Not a massive tech enthusiast but he had it drummed into him "AMD is cheap, Intel is good". Was telling me how just because AMD processors are clocked higher doesn't mean they are faster... in relation to Ryzen *face palm*.

That 1600 (and the 1700) are incredible deals vis a vis the quad core Kaby Lake processors. Your getting so much more cpu for your money and as someone who does a variety of tasks (including production work, a lot of cpu rendering for example) they are a much better buy. This is what AMD is up against though. People would rather buy Intel because its' best'. I'm hoping enough people dig a little deeper and realise just what you are getting with these new parts- Ryzen might not be outright better than Intel in all respects but it's also no repeat of fx, they deserve to do well imo.

8350rocks

Distinguished

With people like that, I supply as many benchmarks as it takes to show them Intel is ripping them off...which processor is better is a murky debate that depends heavily on application. Which processor is a better value is clearly a decisive argument though.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
I've posted links to this information before. Here are some highlights if someone is trying to overclock their RAM.

"We noticed that no motherboards offer a memory strap beyond 3200MHz and asked AMD if this was a limitation of the processor architecture and we were told that it is just a limit in the base UEFI code and that it is not a limitation of the memory controller design or the overall Zen architecture. So, right now the memory strap limitation is on AMD’s side and that the DDR4-3200 is the highest memory strap you can get today. AMD is discussing changing that, but right now it is just a talking point. Official Ryzen DDR4 memory support is listed above. The dual channel/dual tank/4 DIMM support of just 1866 MHz just goes to show how far AMD needs to come. Singe Rank Memory is memory with chips on only one side of the stick of memory, although we have seen some exceptions of the years."

"Best performance with Samsung B-die is achieved at 145 MHz REFCLK with 2400 DRAM ratio (3480 MHz) at 11-10-10-10-22 timings. Alternatively 135 MHz REFCLK with 2666 DRAM ratio and 11-11-11-11-22 timings. This depends on the CPU/MB/DRAM capability."
http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259/6

8350rocks

Distinguished

Supposedly support for 3600 is coming...

8350rocks

Distinguished

IKR, it is almost like Ryzen has some low hanging fruit left to collect.

I also found it interesting that AMD actually runs 256 bit ops @ 75% speed of Intel, not half. They can run 1x 256 bit FMA and 1x 256 bit Add per clock cycle...they cannot run 2x 256 bit FMA like Intel, but that is not the handicap many people said it would be.

Also, stealth support for FMA4 as well. It is not announced, but it still runs on the CPU in Ryzen.

jdwii

Splendid
Well 1.275V and my 1700 is still not stable at 3.8Ghz guessing it needs 1.3V at least. On the stock cooler still luckily i got my bracket for my water cooler. I could probably do 1.3V at 3.8Ghz and be good but temps would be in the low 80's during stress tests oh heck i'll try it right now and post back if stable ha ha.

However i do only recommend 3.7Ghz at around 1.25V or less with the wraith cooler.

Testing
Wraith cooler
Testing 1.28750V
3.8Ghz

Amd claims 95C is max temp for these chips finally we got comparable results to Intel i do however recommend keeping temps below 80C, Amd states 1.425V is fine for Ryzen and i will test that for my chip and try for 4Ghz probably gonna end up at 3.9Ghz, however for that i'm gonna install my water cooler.

Meh, I got in at $1.65 and got out just before it hit $15. I'm done with that stock until it adjusts back to it's real value (probably in the $6.50-$7 range). It's overvalued above $10.

EDIT

Wow AMDs stock took a hit last night; I posted this without realizing the stock had crashed down to the $10 range. It's about where it should be now.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Have you tried to manipulate your RAM settings to get any overclocking?

jdwii

Splendid

No not just yet i was able to get the chip stable at 3.8Ghz with decent temps for gaming and running benchmarks using the stock cooler at that voltage not to bad getting 26.7% more clock speed out of the box with no added cooler.

But i got 1.2V 3.5Ghz
1.2125V 3.7Ghz
Then the chip needed way more voltage at 1.2875V to run stable at 3.8Ghz

Been reading online and it seems like my chip is probably pretty darn good but still not as good as the one that AMD employee got during that presentation he said he got it at 4.0Ghz and 1.325V with the stock cooler,

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No its not allowed here. And I've seen a lot of it in these past 2 pages, sorry I missed the start of this one.

Its been deleted. Next person to call someone out, or otherwise talk down to or personally insult is taking a break.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Hey guy's check it out... nice video tutorial here: A RAM Overclocking guide for Ryzen by AMD's Robert Hallock (go to 3.27m)...

https://youtu.be/vZgpHTaQ10k

He mentions how to get 3600mhz RAM working... It is only supported on boards that have an adjustable "ref clock" or "master clock".. this is normally set to 100.. Actually reminds me of the old FSB..
It looks like this is how we overclock the "Infinity Fabric" directly... So basically the Titanium already supports 3600mhz DDR... :)

Jay

I think it would be undervalued much below $10- although given how fickle the stock market is it could drop further.

Thinking logically though the fall will turn around soon once new parts roll out again. It's worth remember we still have Ryzen 3, Vega and Naples to come this year, as well as Zen based APU's in the not too distant future. All those launches should tend to push stocks upwards (the biggest risk being Vega, I have a feeling AMD will get berated if the top model doesn't at least trade blows with GP102 irrespective of pricing).

TRENDING THREADS