Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
Is it just me or is that a typo?
On the videocardz slide goldstone77 posted, it says 32vms/socket squared. On the intel one, it says 24 Vms/ Socket cubed???

8350rocks

Distinguished

I hope they do manage to get back up around 25-30% server market share like the old Thunderbird Opteron days. My god...given what they accomplished with Zen, to think what they could pull off with an R&D budget bigger than a trip to starbucks.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
9asuit.png
http://www.techspot.com/news/69331-amd-ryzen-9-threadripper-cpu-lineup-leaks-capped.html

Conservaton of energy... The energy going in must equal the energy going out. The electrical energy gets completely dissipated as heat except for any small amount that might be given off as some form of light, but even that is mostly converted to heat because the CPU is opaque.

As for running cooler, what a CPU can do is a better job of getting the heat it generates out to the CPU cooler. Ryzen has the IHS connected via solder instead of inferior paste, so that helps it to better conduct heat away.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I might be totally wrong on this one, but the 14 and 10 core SKUs have me thinking that these chips all contain two 8core CCX's connected together by the infinity fabric [and not 4cored CCX like what we've seen so far].

Or possibly, this leak is fake.

8350rocks

Distinguished

4x 4 core CCXs with IF. The socket is 4K pins.

Maybe... Just maybe... These model numbers are based on the year the engineers that work on zen were born. :lol:

Anyways... Agree that these are horrible and really doubt that this is the real naming convention (maybe something similar but not like this)

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The more optimistic prediction on the low single digit percent: ~6%.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

"Ryzen owners and potential Ryzen owners are interested in knowing is will the new AGESA update offer better memory support?

James: Absolutely. The previous May update had this in mind and we continue to focus on this with the update we have planned for later this month and indeed throughout the rest of this year. It’s not just May 2017 and then we’re done though. We’re going to be increasing performance in many different ways and one of those is increasing memory compatibility – we’re also working with memory vendors as well as application and game developers."

I like it! I would love synthetic benchmarks to imitate reality!

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Maybe some of you have already read those rumors, but I post here since it maybe of interest.
Rumor 1: AMD is getting great yields with Ryzen. The rumor explicitly mentions that "About 80% of Ryzen dies have all 8 cores fully functional."
Rumor 2: A very big company is buying a lot of [strike]Naples[/strike] EPYC

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Latency and throughput have opposite requirements for a microarchitecture. A daily analogy would be the difference between a racing car and a travel bus. The racing can transports one or two persons but does at a very fast speed. The bus transport several dozens of persons but does at a lower speed. If you need to move fast a person between two points the option is the car. If you want move a lot of people together the option is the bus.

parallel-computing-on-the-gpu-14-638.jpg

Same happens with microarchitectures. This is also the distinction between CPUs and GPUs. CPUs are optimized to crunch small amounts of data very fast, whereas GPUs are optimized for crunching lots of data on parallel, but at lower speeds. That is why CPUs have small number of cores clocked up to ~4GHz, whereas GPUs have a larger number of cores clocked low. CPUs and GPUs have different memory controllers. Do you need to transport little information very fast or a lot of information together? Do you need a memory controller with a small latency to access data or one does can transport a lot of adjacent info together with higher bandwidth?

The whole of RyZen CPU is more optimized for throughput rather than latency. It is not only the memory controller, but the dual CCX approach with a high-latency interconnect, the wide (10 pipe) muarch with higher SMT gains but lower ILP, etc. That is the reason why RyZen wins on throughput-oriented workloads as Blender, Handbrake, which have GPU ports.

General rule: Throughput and Latency are conflicting requirements. Any attempt to increase one typically leads to a decrease in the other.

jdwii

Splendid

Was just reading that expect prices to drop on ryzen this is great and yes unusual news since we are talking about global foundries. This would make me think ryzen 3 will be in limited numbers however

I'm losing track with the names now.

Is that a "next gen chipset now" or just a really stupid naming convention from AMD? Also, what is the difference between X299 and X399 then? The only leaked info I could find about 399 was it could be a consumer dual socket. I don't mind that, but... Really? I don't think a dual socket for the consumer market matters that much... I'd say at least.

Anyway, weird stuff from AMD for the higher "prosumer" market.

Cheers!