Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdwii

Splendid

Oh yeah i miss the old farming equipment names haha.

Oh Amd how much i hate the way you name your products.

jdwii

Splendid
So i've been testing Ryzen using Process Lasso, a simple fast way to turn off SMT for games or to lock programs to one CCX. Dolphin works perfect as previously noted with one core on ryzen but using the default dual core speed up option would result in skips well using Process Lasso and locking dolphin to 1-3-5-7 makes it smooth with dual core option on.

Overall I see a small difference when setting core 1-3-5-7 in fallout 4 instead of 1-3-9-11 same goes for basically every single game but it’s not a huge difference out of all the settings in most titles turning off SMT can and does improve performance in gaming by sometimes 10-15 FPS but generally 4-7 fps. Dying light it made no difference at all.

Also in every single title I tested using cores 0-7 only was always slower or gave less fps then using all the cores with SMT off. Guessing even with the CCX penalty the extra 8MB L3 cache and having 4 more cores matters more.

8350rocks

Distinguished

x370 is AMD's 8c + APU socket.

x399 is AMD's >= 10C + Quad Channel memory

imrazor

Distinguished

Hopefully, rumor 1 means we'll be able to take a Ryzen 5 and magically enable more cores. Remember unlocking the fourth core on the Athlon II X3?

jdwii

Splendid
So i was thinking with Ryzen really loving higher bandwidth memory i wonder how the APU's will perform? Two products loving high bandwidth memory for gaming will they be fighting for resources?

I doubt it. But you never know.

It will be cool though on the IGPU side, now with DDR4 so fast, it's going to seriously boost IGPUs on the memory side, not to mention the new cores the IGPUs will have.

I also have high hopes for the APUs, but I'm also wary of the "thermal fight" between the new CPU cores and GPU ones. For desktop I think they'll be fine, but for notebooks... I think it would be a bit more punishing.

In any case, given the uplift in CPU performance, it won't be like current APUs thermal fight.

Cheers!

Well, if the apu's are staying quad cores and that these ryzen cores have been shown to use less power than the bulldozer based cores, I'd would think that any "thermal fight" should be minimal.

Then again, They can always do what they've done on their current desktop apu's (not sure about there mobile versions) where anytime the gpu side gets used heavily, the cpu side is instantly downclocked to something like 3GHz. (although im sure that's due to power delivery and not because of heat.)

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

I like it! I hope it's as good as it sounds!

"If you’re the kind of user that just needs (or loves!) virtualization every day, then AGESA 1.0.0.6-based firmware will be a blessing for you thanks to fresh support for PCI Express Access Control Services (ACS). ACS primarily enables support for manual assignment of PCIe graphics cards within logical containers called “IOMMU groups.” The hardware resources of an IOMMU group can then be dedicated to a virtual machine.
This capability is especially useful for users that want 3D-accelerated graphics inside a virtual machine. With ACS support, it is possible to split a 2-GPU system such that a host Linux® OS and a Windows VM both have a dedicated graphics cards. The virtual machine can access all the capabilities of the dedicated GPU, and run games inside the virtual machine at near-native performance."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-agesa-firmware-update-motherboard,34525.html

Edit: 7:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laD0_DwS3tA
People reporting stable speed and timings https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6cfpiz/ive_been_testing_agesa_1006_for_a_day_with_the/

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

I see.. Would they have something akin to Intel's AMT? ECC? Or are those details yet to be released?

Intel's vPro CPUs is the equivalent, I'd say.

Cheers!

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

That makes sense, the board says it supports ECC ram under the memory support page.

Uhm... I don't recall Intel vPro CPUs having ECC support though.

Cheers!

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

They don't. But maybe we should ask Biostar first.

Also, uh... Remember the Intel ME exploit chaos? Look at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6dinzy/why_do_amds_psp_drivers_make_my_pc_publicly/

Yeah. Fun times ahead and the mobs baying for blood already :/

Wow... That is bad and dumb from a design point of view.

I hope AMD removes that and finds a better alternative.

Cheers!

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Not sure they will. Either it's tin foil hat territory or the fact that ARM trustzone is the culprit.
Either way no need for an Intel AMT repeat :/

Lol, I read up on that- it doesn't do what the OP thinks it does. Confirmed by AMD the software only looks locally (no open external ports). It's intended for support tools, should the user choose to install one (e.g. remote assistant type thing). Nothing to see here :p

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

I think that's the issue with the thread there.

TRENDING THREADS