Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdwii

Splendid
Based on what i just read at DSOgaming(EDIT confirmed now) we are gonna probably see a price war soon. Good thing Amd is seeing great yields. I already see my CPU at lower prices same for the 1800X and 1700X.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Yes, for processors compatible with that board. X370 would work for next Ryzen 8 cores, etc. X399 for threadripper Gen 2 etc.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
"Threadripper stepped out in public for the first time at Computex in Taipei, where AMD ran its 16-core Ryzen-based desktop chip through various benchmarks and games. Even better for AMD fans: The company showed off the highly anticipated monster CPU running two of the company’s Radeon RX Vega in CrossFire mode.

AMD also hit back at Intel after Tuesday's revelation of the Core i9. Sure, Intel's new high-end CPU will max out at 18 cores compared to Threadripper's 16. AMD's surprise: Threadripper would not have 44 PCIe lanes as previously rumored, but rather an insane 64 lanes of PCIe Gen 3.0.

Having access to a full 64 lanes on all Threadripper chips is a big deal. Typical consumer platforms such as the Ryzen 7 and Core i7-7700K top out at 16 lanes of PCIe. Intel’s new Core i9/X299 platform hikes that up to 44 lanes of PCIe, but only in the higher-end chips, creating artificial limitations on more modest versions.

AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper/X399 platform takes I/O to a level never seen before in a consumer desktop machine. Most consumers won’t need that kind of speed, but anyone who piles on the storage options and multiple GPUs will welcome AMD’s 64 PCIe lanes."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3199013/computers/amds-threadripper-struts-onstage-with-radeon-rx-vega-and-a-big-surprise.html

Computex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeuamYdfU4w

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
AMD Ryzen 7 Prices Drop By Up To 23% Ahead Of Threadripper Launch:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-prices-drop-ahead-of-threadripper-launch/

I dont know about wccftech when it comes to listing price drops..... Yeah prices have been down for the last month (around the 12th was when it really started) but..... it the same web site that tried using microcenter to say intel was dropping their cpu prices ahead of ryzen... Which microcenter always has discounts on cpu's...

And im pretty sure it's the retailers that are in a price war with each other than anything that has to do with threadripper about launch (still good news either way).

jdwii

Splendid

What Price sounds good when it comes to prices on threadripper i'm thinking if they can get the 16 core to 999.99$ that would be great, 16 core+board+memory for the price of a 18 core Intel.

NOT to gloat but i did guess the ryzen 7 prices pretty darn well haha before launch so did some others here.

Clock speeds on the top model is crazy high. 3.5Ghz 16 core?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Some rumors on reddit are pointing to $999 for the 16 core top SKU, and $849 for the 16 core SKU below it.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Wouldn't a 3.5GHz base clock on the 16C Threadripper drastically increase the TDP?

jdwii

Splendid

Guess it could be a rumor but i heard it from several tech tubers also i found this
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57821/amd-prepares-9-models-threadripper-up-16c-32t/index.html

And rumored prices are lower then what i expected i still expect 999.99$ perhaps they will only price it at 849.99$?

With my own testing i noticed 3.3Ghz to be a nice sweet spot for Ryzen in terms of performance per watt that is what i was expecting from this 16 core.

jdwii

Splendid

Nothing is more unlikely then getting even 4.5Ghz out of these chips with custom water cooling i wouldn't even count on 4.0 to be honest.

5Ghz maybe on one core with 1.65V and some crazy high-end cooling like liquid nitrogen.

Ryzen series so far is hard locked to 4.1-4.2 though i seen people hit 4.3-4.4 on the 1400-1500x but its VERY rare.

Even if it performs the same as a 7700k clocked at 4?

I'll say it again: These CPUs are going to offer next to zero performance benefit in games. They're showpieces, nothing more.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Skylake-X definitely will.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

But those Blender renders, though...

8350rocks

Distinguished

These are workstation class CPUs that can play games effectively. This is even more evident than with Ryzen 7.

The one thing these will be able to do better than anything else on the planet is some crazy Quad Crossfire setup.

jdwii

Splendid

Aren't these for people who do real work on their PC haha, VM's encoding, rendering and what not.

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

I wonder if SLI will be impacted like it was in the R7 series.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Not sure what you mean...? SLI is fine on R7

8350rocks

Distinguished
http://semiaccurate.com/2017/05/30/intel-announces-x-series-without-details/

S|A article about Intel's Computex offerings...(not casting them in a positive light...)

Based on this information, it seems Threadripper has Intel in full on panic.

TRENDING THREADS