AMD Tells Girls How to Attract a Geeky Boyfriend

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Well I only half-read it but I think it's a wonderful article. I like talking tech and I like hot girls, so any hot girls who were too scared to talk to me now know where to start......

ppoe

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
As a girl...not bad looking... who married and is in process of divorcing a geek, all I have to say is this is total bullcrap. There is a happy medium between spending your life playing WOW and giving up your interests for a woman who won't even listen to you when you talk. When I dated my husband, I had no idea what any of the little abbreviations meant... now I work for a software company and can drop my little abbreviations like "WOW, LAN, and CPU" all the time. I have also been converted to an SG1 lover. You don't need to be someone you are not, you need to care enough about the other person that even if you think it might bore you, you give it a chance.

Nuff said!

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
LOL... Lack of fashion sense... I agree... I have no clue how I managed to keep my girlfriend... tho now that it's 2 years and she dressed me up pretty well... all is peachy :)

Didn't know girls ran after geeks to start with...
My experience was more that women like Aholes who treat them like crap.

greatwhitewhale

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I agree, I have never had a problem with girls that are not into gaming and all that. It is more important that they do care about something, it shows an ability to devote oneself to something.

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
After my wife landed me, she is completely convinced that geek is the way to go. She's been trying to find a geek for her best friend but, amazingly, all my friends are taken atm. My wife and her friend both play WoW and D&D 4th edition, but no games we can walk into a comic book store and play (magic, warhammer, ect). I read this article and had an "ah ha!" moment... LAN parties. We have a monthly one that's around 100 people give or take 20. Last one I was at there were less then 10 women there. Just sent her an email to sign up :)

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Wait, wait, wait just a minute... You imply there are non-geek females specifically seeking geek males? Seriously?

Most of the geeks I know would be fine with non-geeked out partners. Just don't go complainin' when the StarCraft Marathon runs for 18 hours straight and the garbage doesn't get taken out. Or he wants to forgo landscaping the front yard to buy a $4000 gaming rig.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
"Oh yeah, I love to play Call of Warfare all day long. I started playing after I got sick of that John Raynor guy and his Red Alerts."

Absolutely, effing, classic.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I'm horribly offended by Ms. Sobon's post on a number of fronts, not the least of which is the idea that technophiles only wear flip-flops. F*%K FLIP-FLOPS. They're flat, uncomfortable, and never come in size 15s.

Second, I'll have Ms. Sobon know that I'm currently the Red Sox-Yankees 2004 ALCS play-by-play to memory ("Ortiz goes deep to right field...and Mt. Everest erupts again!"). And how dare she bring hockey into this discussion and besmirch the good name of Lord Stanley! I hope none of my former colleagues who hail from Canada read this obtrusive malarkey, or they'll morph into those street punks from "Dogma."

And lastly..."Blade Runner"? Really!?!?!? Can't we put this film to rest? I mean, have people watched "Bored Runner" recently -- any of the 20 different versions out there? Harrison Ford sleep walks through the movie, but hey, the art direction's awesome and they have flying cars!Gimme a break. Can we stop annointing this movie as the greats sci-fi flick of all-time? Go watch "Primer" or "Moon" instead.

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I think the problem is lack of places to meet specifically geeky people. I like the progression from irc and forums, to things like ventrilo and teamspeak - but we should take it one step further and have more, server/client style video based chatting. Having more people to choose from, and better geek-style interactions will help.

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
If you can't find yourself getting excited over shiny new MP3 players, DSes, or the latest Android tablet (depressing, but these people do exist)

ROFL!

But it is a dream of mine to find a nerd one day....*sigh*

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Having been married longer than many of you have been geeks, my opinion, as an ancient geek whose first computer was a TRS-80 at age 21, is that this is very poor advise. Be careful what you wish for. Never try to adapt yourself to a social group, lest you accidentally get what you seek, only to find it isn't what you had envisioned. The secret is to stop analyzing, stop TRYING, and be yourself. Not an easy task, particularly for a geek, but still possible.

"No, try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda, 1980

wizardprang

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Lots of good and bad advice here. Here's my 1.2 cents after taxes.

Girls, if you are dating a geek, don't play games and don't "hint". We don't speak that language. And remember, he will only remember things that he deems important, and you don't always get to make that decision...

Geek guys, do you really need a geek girl or do you need someone whose strengths balance your weaknesses? "Hotness" doesn't last forever, and as you get older, gaming will become less important; build your marriage on either of those foundations and you will be in deep weeds.

My wife is decidedly a non-geek. She picks out my clothes and cooks wonderfully; I solve problems, fix things, give massages, make snacks (yes, including sandwiches!) and generally do chauffeur, gofer, butler, chief-cook-and-bottlewasher and Lord-and-Master(!) duties. I don't like to fill the dishwasher; she doesn't like to empty it. Life is good.

We have only been married for 23.85 years. And I will love her to the day I die.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I am happy to say I have a lady who shares much of my love for fantasy/scifi and also doesn't mind some of the games I play. Having someone who challenges you in other directions as well as nurtures your interests makes for a wonderful partner. If she'd only get into MTG and Star Trek I'd be set. loL

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I need a girl to share some of my geek interests, but not too much. I'm single and I'm trying to keep my gaming at 50% of my leisure time. If I would be to find a girl that enjoy gaming (video or tabletop) as much as I do, I would start losing my grip on reality...

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
i met the most amazing girl once... she played dota and starcraft. we liked all the same things. then one day she left me, and i dont know why. still depressed over it =*(

G

I don't understand why everything has to be so black or white. We live in a modern society where gaming has become mainstream, and the average user would've been considered quite techie 5 years ago.

What I'm getting at is the perception that all "Geeks" or complete nerds, the stereotype may apply to some (or most who knows), but there are those who have a well balanced lifestyle that includes some hardcore gaming here and there.

I hang around with a group that could hang with the hardcore party crowd, but after the night is done, we can still bang it out against the best SC2/Halo/COD players. For those who don't believe that hot women aren't into gaming... you're in for quite a surprise, a lot of the girls I know would love to spend nights playing video games (perhaps not RTS's). My girlfriend plays LOL probably 12 hours a week on average, but still has the time to go out, socialize, get trashed, and enjoy life in general.

So do us a favor and please stop with the generalization and stereotyping, people will judge, it only matters if you care.

Our friends made fun of us for attending animecon all dressed up (until they saw my girl's kasumi dress and my Jin outfit), but at the end of the day if you're a fun genuine person to hang with, people will gravitate towards you no matter what your personal hobbies are.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]vic20[/nom]I went to a club one night with a close hot girl friend of mine and met up with her friend. Afterward we went to her friend's (who was hot too) apartment and she immediately ripped off her clothes, jumped on the xbox and fired up Left for Dead. She was kicking ass and talking smack on the headset in minutes.I thought I died and went to heaven or would wake up and find myself lying drunk on the parking lot outside the club. My friend took her clothes off too and sat in my lap and drank beer. Hot geeky chicks are out there....[/citation]

Then you woke up. To important points this story, hot chicks have lives outside of their geekdom, even, if they exist, i.e. the story started at the club. Lesson number 2 you are not a true geek as in you didn't offer her a glass of Tang instead of beer. The truth be told, do you want a chick that is hot, or a chick that is a geek as well?

cerulean

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mmseng[/nom][citation]Most geeks don't wear pants. The wear jeans or shorts.[/citation]P.P.S. Jeans aren't considered pants? When did this happen?[/citation]

Not only that, but when did jeans/shorts become associated with geekness/poor fashion sense (as the article implies)?

Status
Not open for further replies.