News AMD's $299 5600X Spotted Flying Past All Intel CPUs in Single-Threaded Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Also, you seem to be forgetting about the Radeon RX 5600 XT. AMD had no problem putting out a similarly-named Ryzen 5600X, so they should likewise have no problem putting out a Ryzen 5700/5700X. They also have the option of naming it the Ryzen 5800. It is kind of weird how they have similar product names for their CPUs and GPUs now though, even if they will be moving to 6000-series naming for their upcoming graphics cards. Perhaps they intend on moving to a new naming scheme for their next generation of processors if they move to a new socket, but that might be around a year and a half away.
Compared to how many people buy the 5700(XT) and cheaper RX 580 over the 5600(XT), I doubt the Ryzen 5 5600X would be as big of an issue for internet searches as 5700 would possibly be. I was mostly just speculating on the reason for not releasing a 5700X, but it's very possible AMD is still finalizing an 5700(X/XT) for future release.

I was mostly just speculating on the reason for not releasing a 5700X, but it's very possible AMD is still finalizing an 5700(X/XT) for future release.
I imagine the real reason for not having those available at launch, along with a 5600 and other non-X variants, is that AMD decided it made the most business sense to sell the "premium" versions at higher price points first, to catch the early adopters willing to pay a premium to get the hardware right away. Otherwise, it makes those versions a much harder sell when they're typically not much faster than the versions costing substantially less. How many people passed on the 3800X when they saw the 3700X performing within a few percent of it for $70 less at launch? I imagine the sales numbers for those higher-end parts were not nearly as good as the base models.

Between their console chips, RDNA2 parts and new processors, AMD is likely running into the limits of their 7nm manufacturing capacity, so they probably decided to focus on the higher-margin versions of their CPUs first. And if they manage to outperform Intel's top processors all-around, then it's something they might be able to get away with, at least until Intel starts talking about their next generation of desktop processors.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Rocket Lake = comet lake + Willow Cove cores + pcie4 + faster ddr4 + avx512 + dlboost + Xe GPU
seems like it has enough updates to expect a performance increase comparable to the zen3.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
If that PassMark result is accurate and representative, note that the RAM it was tested with was 3200 CL16. I am anxious to see the aggregate results accumulate for the entire 5900X 5000X series in a few weeks.
2nd PassMark result for 5600X is slower, but using 3600 CL18 RAM (I think):
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=131295828591

However, the first 5950X result is a barn-burner on 3600 CL16 RAM:
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=131240019557
"Single Thread Rating: 3693"

Yup...

Edit: just saw main article here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-zen-3-cpu-benchmarks