[SOLVED] American Megatrends every time on boot

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
https://i.ibb.co/ng02Wy4/PXL-20200922-093719512.jpg

Every time I boot my PC in the morning, this screen shows and I have to press F1 and then save and exit from BIOS and that can work, other times I have to shut it down and turn back on before it works.

Initially I thought it was something wrong with my HDD but I did scans with the SeaTools app and it said it was fine, it's SMART status was also fine, but it was still happening so I disconnected the HDD and it still happens when the only drive is the M.2 SSD, which also appeared as fine on the scans.

This system is new from like a week or two ago. This has been happening from almost the very beginning I think.

I have seen other threads that say its bc the hard drive is actually going to fail, but I have run those tests and everything comes up as fine, and both drives are brand new and have been working fine. I've also seen that it could be the CMOS battery on the mobo, but again, the mobo is brand new. However maybe they were just faulty.

Any help on what could be causing this and how I can fix it would be much appreciated!

This is my system:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/h9GTsk

Thank you

Solution
I'm sorry I'm a bit confused by your answer, are you saying I should perform a clean install of windows? I did look at the bios and the SATA configuration wasn't set to RAID, rather it was AHCI. I haven't changed it, I mdon't know if I should.

Before or after the BIOS update?
It reads like before the update, something was set to RAID mode (not actually configured as RAID). After you updated the BIOS, it would revert all settings to default - which on a modern platform will be AHCI.

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
First off, ensure your BIOS is up to date. It might be a 'bug'.

On the face of it, it is a SMART check. If you're comfortable with the status of your drives via software, you can disable the warning within the BIOS.
Okay I updated the BIOs and the new error message is this:
https://i.ibb.co/mz3VYGt/PXL-20200922-163226866.jpg

I have searched around and I've seen some inconclusive threads saying you should replace or clear the CMOS battery. Could my mobo's battery really have died that quick, I've had it for a couple weeks as i said.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If I had to hazard a guess, based on the info in both error messages, when you installed Windows, the BIOS was set to "RAID" mode rather than AHCI.

Short of continuing to run it in that config*, you're looking at clean OS install, as far as I know.

*And if it was in RAID &/or it should be, you'd know about it.

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
If I had to hazard a guess, based on the info in both error messages, when you installed Windows, the BIOS was set to "RAID" mode rather than AHCI.

Short of continuing to run it in that config*, you're looking at clean OS install, as far as I know.

*And if it was in RAID &/or it should be, you'd know about it.
I'm sorry I'm a bit confused by your answer, are you saying I should perform a clean install of windows? I did look at the bios and the SATA configuration wasn't set to RAID, rather it was AHCI. I haven't changed it, I mdon't know if I should.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Before or after the BIOS update?
It reads like before the update, something was set to RAID mode (not actually configured as RAID). After you updated the BIOS, it would revert all settings to default - which on a modern platform will be AHCI.

Solution