Amplifier Recommendation for Nearfields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any recommendation for a fanless, balanced in 2 channel amplifier to
power a pair of AR 18S speakers. In the past I've used a Hafler Pro2400
which sounded fine, but has since been moved to a different location.
The first thing that came to mind was a Hafler P1500 or a P3000, but
there must be other options above the Alesis/Samson/ART type amplifiers.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:24:31 +0000, e.maynard wrote:

> Any recommendation for a fanless, balanced in 2 channel amplifier to
> power a pair of AR 18S speakers. In the past I've used a Hafler Pro2400
> which sounded fine, but has since been moved to a different location.
> The first thing that came to mind was a Hafler P1500 or a P3000, but
> there must be other options above the Alesis/Samson/ART type amplifiers.
>
> Thanks for any help.

If you want the best I suggest Bryston.
However, I may be the only person on the face of the earth that feels
Samson isn't *that* bad, especially for the money and at reasonable levels.
They won't drive complex loads and I suspect their power ratings are
a bit optomistic, but for general listening at reasonable levels
they sound fine to me. Certainly not as bad as Alesis or Art.
However, mentioning Samson and Bryston in the same post is not a good
thing!! They are not even in the same league.

Seriously though, in my book Bryston is tops and their service is
fantastic.
They ain't cheap, but they are not over priced either and they are built
like tanks. Don't let the fact that they have a consumer line fool you,
they can handle the rigors of a pro environment with ease.

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Any recommendation for a fanless, balanced in 2 channel amplifier to
>power a pair of AR 18S speakers. In the past I've used a Hafler Pro2400
>which sounded fine, but has since been moved to a different location.
>The first thing that came to mind was a Hafler P1500 or a P3000, but
>there must be other options above the Alesis/Samson/ART type amplifiers.

The Haflers are hard to beat, and they are cheap for what you get.

Another alternative would be high grade home audio amps, like the
Adcom, Parasound, or Bryston stuff. Most of these have only unbalanced
inputs, but the mid-fi gear tends to be available cheaply now that the
home theatre thing has taken over the consumer market.

The next step up is more expensive, like Aragon/Krell/Nelson Pass stuff.
--scott

> The first thing that came to mind was a Hafler P1500 or a P3000, but
> there must be other options above the Alesis/Samson/ART type amplifiers.

You're not going to find a better value than a Hafler (except maybe a used
Hafler). If you're looking to upgrade from there, the next clear value is a
Bryston.

And I'll add a few names to Scott's mid-fi options - Creek and Cambridge -
though I don't think they'll offer Hafler value when it comes to
professional headroom.

You considered powered monitors? The AR 18S is classic, but I dare suggest
they aren't the most neutral speakers around, and might be best relegated to
alternate duty, which doesn't require full headroom, so a 50W Yammy would
suffice. Myself I'd rather mix on $350 Behringer Truths.

I'll throw in one of the used Urei amps. I've got a couple of the 6260
amps that are great. They're really cheap these days on ebay. I've
seen them go in the $200-300 range recently. More than enough power
for a set of nearfields.

later,

<mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'll throw in one of the used Urei amps. I've got a couple of the 6260
>amps that are great. They're really cheap these days on ebay. I've
>seen them go in the $200-300 range recently. More than enough power
>for a set of nearfields.

I agree, some of those amps are real sleepers. I have a rack of the
smaller units as part of my portable film sound rig and they are really
quite clean but also rugged. Not a lot of power for the weight, though.
--scott

"Another alternative would be high grade home audio amps, like the
Adcom, Parasound, or Bryston stuff. Most of these have only unbalanced
inputs"

Scott... What would be a correct way to interface balanced lined coming
into a home type amp?

e.maynard wrote:
> Any recommendation for a fanless, balanced in 2 channel amplifier to
> power a pair of AR 18S speakers. In the past I've used a Hafler Pro2400
> which sounded fine, but has since been moved to a different location.
> The first thing that came to mind was a Hafler P1500 or a P3000, but
> there must be other options above the Alesis/Samson/ART type amplifiers.
>
> Thanks for any help.

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>"Another alternative would be high grade home audio amps, like the
>Adcom, Parasound, or Bryston stuff. Most of these have only unbalanced
>inputs"
>
>Scott... What would be a correct way to interface balanced lined coming
>into a home type amp?

One signal pin on the XLR to the center pin on the RCA, the other signal
pin and the ground pin to the shield. Lift shields if there is a noise
problem. The Rane site discusses this.
--scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>"Another alternative would be high grade home audio amps, like the
>>Adcom, Parasound, or Bryston stuff. Most of these have only unbalanced
>>inputs"
>>
>>Scott... What would be a correct way to interface balanced lined coming
>>into a home type amp?
>

> One signal pin on the XLR to the center pin on the RCA, the other signal
> pin and the ground pin to the shield. Lift shields if there is a noise
> problem. The Rane site discusses this.
> --scott

Would the level (+4) potentially overdrive the inputs of a Home Amp?
Assuming the input wants to see -10.
Are NAD amps a decent choice compared to the Adcom, Parasound, or
Bryston stuff? You've metioned specific Adcom models as being better
than others. Can you refresh my memory?

Thanks a lot..........

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Would the level (+4) potentially overdrive the inputs of a Home Amp?
>Assuming the input wants to see -10.

If you turn it up too much, yes. So don't do that.
If it's a real problem you can add a resistive pad in there for a few
bucks.

>Are NAD amps a decent choice compared to the Adcom, Parasound, or
>Bryston stuff? You've metioned specific Adcom models as being better
>than others. Can you refresh my memory?

I never much liked the NAD amps, but part of that has to do with the fact
that they are no fun to repair and have a lot of stuff in them that seems
more touchy than it should be. The Adcom GFA535 seems to be the best of
the set with the GFA555 next up. I don't know how well the larger amps
perform. None of them are bad.

Some of the higher grade amps like the Aragons occasionally turn up at
reasonable prices, too.
--scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Would the level (+4) potentially overdrive the inputs of a Home Amp?
>>Assuming the input wants to see -10.
>

> If you turn it up too much, yes. So don't do that.
> If it's a real problem you can add a resistive pad in there for a few
> bucks.
>

> --scott

Any suggestions on the resistive pad?

-Thanks

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Would the level (+4) potentially overdrive the inputs of a Home Amp?
>>>Assuming the input wants to see -10.
>>

>> If you turn it up too much, yes. So don't do that.
>> If it's a real problem you can add a resistive pad in there for a few
>> bucks.
>
>Any suggestions on the resistive pad?

You can make your own or buy one of the Shure or Audio-Technica ones.
I'd tend to shoot for 10dB loss but you might want 20dB. Probably not
really needed at all, though.
--scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Would the level (+4) potentially overdrive the inputs of a Home Amp?
>>Assuming the input wants to see -10.
>

> If you turn it up too much, yes. So don't do that.
> If it's a real problem you can add a resistive pad in there for a few
> bucks.
>

>>Are NAD amps a decent choice compared to the Adcom, Parasound, or
>>Bryston stuff? You've metioned specific Adcom models as being better
>>than others. Can you refresh my memory?
>

> I never much liked the NAD amps, but part of that has to do with the fact
> that they are no fun to repair and have a lot of stuff in them that seems
> more touchy than it should be. The Adcom GFA535 seems to be the best of
> the set with the GFA555 next up. I don't know how well the larger amps
> perform. None of them are bad.
>
> Some of the higher grade amps like the Aragons occasionally turn up at
> reasonable prices, too.
> --scott

Hi. Is there any difference between a GFA535 and a GFA535-II?

Thanks

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Hi. Is there any difference between a GFA535 and a GFA535-II?

The electronics are mostly the same. I don't really know if there are
any sonic differences but I wouldn't worry about it. There is another
model that comes with a volume control as well, but it is comparatively
rare.
--scott

> The Adcom GFA535 seems to be the best of
> the set with the GFA555 next up. I don't know how well the larger amps
> perform. None of them are bad.

I made the same conclusion about the GFA535, the bigger amps are good, but
the baby is the stand-out.

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi. Is there any difference between a GFA535 and a GFA535-II?
>

> Thanks

The II version lost the A/B speaker outputs and accompaning switch,
which might be better or worst, depending on your needs/requirments.

There is supposed to be improvements in the electronics too. Something
with lower distorsion and higher current capacity.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I happen to be looking at purchasing a Adcom also, but how would the
Parasound A23 compare if you don't mind spending the extra money. I
can get a Adcom GFA-535II for less then $200 at the dealer used or a
get a demo Parasound for $600.

Thank you,
Chris