Announcing the Tom's Hardware AMA and Gaming Giveaway with MSI!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Official Forum Representative
Aug 10, 2016

Check out our Command Center software.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Sometimes mistakes happen and you got a wet fart to clean up.

MSI Scorpion

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

It's definitely getting easier with each new generation. Laptops have come a long away for sure, and the performance gap between desktop PCs and laptops are closing in. The newest GTX 10 series in laptops closed the gap within 10% of their desktop counterparts and I'm positive its only going to get better!

I'm seeing you say the Mini-ITX market is small, and I can believe that from the limited number of products.
Why aren't Mini-ITX boards priced more appropriately for their smaller size compared to traditional ATX and even Micro-ATX?
Very very few people need or use more than 1 PCIE slot anyways, and PCI slots are almost universally dead.
But ITX products always have a "premium" cost associated with them that I think is driving off purchasers, and prevents me from recommending them as a budget build because well, they're typically more expensive than larger sized parts.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

While it's true that the Killer NIC isn't necessarily better than other options, it isn't any worse since wi-fi standards are in a good place.

http://techreport.com/review/29144/revisiting-the-killer-nic-eight-years-on

In-fact, in the best scenario, wi-fi is only going to add at most 2ms to your latency when gaming compared to a Ethernet cable connection.

MSI Scorpion

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

The next gens are already here. Our new line up of gaming laptops that just launched are fully capable to run Ultra settings and 4K resolution without breaking a sweat. Our GT73/83VR Titan are equipped with the GTX 1080 and/or SLI inside and the GTX 10 series mobile graphic rivals desktop performance.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Have you seen 4K gaming? The sharpness of the edges is quite amazing to point anti-aliasing is mostly unnecessary. Of course driving a display that quite literally 4 times the pixels as 1080p is not easy with our current display technology and gaming graphics technology. The technology is simply not there yet for it to be accessible to most buyers. The timing is uncertain too - 2 years, 4 years.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Probably, though I don't have a timeframe of when that might happen.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

While it does feel like there's something new every 3 months, if you want to only look at Intel and NVIDIA, their product cycles last from 1 to 2 years, though lately it's been around 18 months.

DDR4 is the new memory standard and we should expect to stay on that for at least 4 more years. I have no clue where you heard the triple-channel stuff because aren't missing out much with a dual-channel memory configuration. It matters even less for gaming since video games would much prefer use the memory built into the video card.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Corsair has an incredible reputation for their closed water coolers and we wanted a video card with that kind of cooling. We still manufacturer the board and we use Corsair's solution to produce our MSI GTX 1080 SEAHAWK co-product.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

I actually started out in the PC hardware industry writing gaming peripheral reviews on the side for several years.

As has already been mentioned, we build our own personal desktops.

My biggest PC assembly mistake is forgetting to plug in the 8-pin ATX PSU cable into the motherboard. Took me only 10 minutes to realize why my computer wasn't turning on for the first time then.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We have our own in-house graphic designers who work hard to produce the amazing graphics for our products, promotions, and events. They are amazing at what they do.

Regarding what software they use, they work with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Sure, if it's a little bit. We usually get a "blueprint" if you will about 6 months in advance so that we can start designing boards in advance of the launch. We actually do sell some cards that use the AMD and NVIDIA reference cooling designs, though we do very much prefer our custom designs such as our universally acclaimed GAMING video cards using the Twin Frozr VI cooler.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

It's an NVIDIA issue.

AMD remains committed to Crossfire whereas NVIDIA is restricting SLI to where it seems to makes the most sense - the enthusiast segment. Additionally, a number of games don't behave nicely with multiple GPUs in Crossfire/SLI.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We love technology and working with cutting edge stuff. We love that there are others including each other here in the marketing team that share this same passion.

It's when we step outside of that sphere where that passion is not appreciated that kills some hope we have for technology in our lives and even ourselves.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Robot Santa Claus!

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

I hope its HDR displays for display technologies. I know it's not something for motherboards, but it is something enthusiasts may come to care about.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Of course! We have our ECO lineup of motherboards that fit that need.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/H170M-ECO.html
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-ECO.html

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We get a "blueprint" if you will, 6 months in advance so that we can start designing boards up to the launch of new major processor products. Sometimes, there are problems that force changes even after launch (Intel P67 chipset recall.)

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We strongly believe in our cooling solutions and have even brought forth several different solutions such as the SEAHAWK that uses a Corsair closed loop water cooler and AERO which uses a blower design similar to today's reference coolers from NVIDIA and AMD. Though users are free to do as they wish with their purchase, they assume any risk and responsibility performing their own modifications.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We did just launch our X99A WORKSTATION motherboard this week. Perhaps that may be of interest to you.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-WORKSTATION.html

As for our relationship with memory manufacturers, the consideration is mutual. I will even say that it's the memory manufacturers themselves who are listening to feedback from users like you to produce products with colors that complement the other parts.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Two bigger fans are quieter and more efficient than those three fans. For one, one less moving part to make noise. For another, bigger fan blades can push more air even at a slower speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.