Announcing the Tom's Hardware AMA and Gaming Giveaway with MSI!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Official Forum Representative
Aug 10, 2016

MSI doesn't sell standalone cooling solutions for video cards and we don't intend to in the near future. Our GTX 1080 SEAHAWK actually uses a Corsair closer water solution.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We've got in the works for an upcoming RX 460 card in a month or so.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We probably won't. Desktop enthusiasts far prefer dedicated video cards.

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for the detailed answers. In my haste(and in my excitement to this AMA) I forgot to execute courtesy. Although it's too late into the event, please accept our greetings; Welcome to Tom's Hardware and to that affect welcome to our AMA! It's actually an honor having you guys onboard for this event.

A follow up question though to my post:
I noticed on your site there is a drop down menu within the Motherboards section that caters to Enthusiast, Performance, Arsenal and Pro and in each category there are a small(or large depending on which you look through) group of boards in said categories. Outside of Enthusiast, as the term defines that it will surely hold on to cream-of-the-crop in terms of features and technology, could you walk us through as to where the said boards and groups fall in the market areas and who they're suited to?

As an example, Night Elf and Krait's being under Performance while the Tomahawk, Mortar and Bazooka are under Arsenal.

Could we see a possibility to overclock on your non-Z series platforms much like what ASRock have done with the inclusion of microcode on non-Z series boards?

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

MSI's gaming focused products have their own clear identity and even MSI is well recognized by PC hardware enthusiasts as a company that caters to them as well as gamers. At this point, we don't feel a gaming-centered offbrand is necessary.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

yes, we do have an H170 motherboard with RGB lighting - the MSI H170A GAMING PRO
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/H170A-GAMING-PRO

...and an H170 motherboard with an M.2 slot - the MSI H170 GAMING M3
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/H170-GAMING-M3.html

Those interested in having a combination of those features are already aware or will realize that yes, such a motherboard is more expensive. Intel's H170 chipset already has fewer features compared to Z170 and that's something we can't exactly "fix."

That's what I was thinking. A fully featured H170 board would only be a few bucks cheaper than a fully-featured Z170 board, ergo it doesn't make sense to make them both ( and yes, the H board still wouldn't have overclocking or multi-GPU support ). Thanks for the reply.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

NVMe drives with the M.2 connector are already so fast that RAID 0 is unnecessary. As of now, we don't have issues placing 2 or even 3 M.2 slots on some of our motherboards.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

It's a bit of a chicken and the egg problem. To address the new miniITX motherboard segment, we have to sink resources into R&D for products that aren't widely demanded which leaves us to re-evaluate future development.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

Performance GAMING - High-end featured gaming motherboard
Arsenal GAMING - Low-end, mid-range gaming motherboard
Pro Series - all of our other motherboards that are not specially made for gamers

For your second question, we respect Intel's decision on what they choose to limit what is allowed with non-Z motherboards.

MSIDavY

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

We will continue to work with AMD on their current and upcoming products.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well I would like to take the time to say thank you for being here with us today. I know you guys must have pretty hectic schedules, so taking this time for us is appreciated. So, Thank You.

Kara.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
And there you have it folks. The AMA is officially closed.

Let's give a big digital round of applause to our wonderful guests from MSI. Thank you so much for joining us and answering anything and everything our expert Community threw at you. And of course thank you so much to all of you, the Tom's Hardware Community members. Without your in depth questions none of this would have been possible.

If you haven't already be sure to enter the Tom's Hardware MSI Gaming Giveaway for your chance to win MSI's flagship GPU, the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G.

Signing off for now.

- Joshua Simenhoff, Assistant Comunity Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS