Any AGP DX10 news ???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
You have one serious flaw in all of your replys in this thread though; you ignore what impact a lower rez and lower quality setting would have on my system if I run Crysis.

No I didn't ignore that, you ignore that on lower settings doesn't save it, nor does it justify DX10 card. That's like saying it's great to have the GF7100 instead of the X850XT, because man thank good for that SM3.0. :roll:

And your CPU will be an issue; you realize tests of CPU bottlenecks are at low settings, right? If you're not turning things on then there's no point, other than for a slide show, and regardless of how low you turn down the featurs your CPU is going to hold you back, and it will be apparent throughout all setting, but most obvious on the fact that lower settings will still be terrible. And so you will need to upgrade the CPU ANYWAYS, so paying a premium for a modern AGP MoBo and the AGP card premium means a huge waste of money and extremely limiting your options.

Because of the absense of the impact of lower rez in all of your replys and, because you seem so determined to get every AGP owner to swap out everthing in order to get PCIe, your argument has lost credibility insofar I see it.

You argument lost credibility when you accused everyone of being a zealot and/or working for CompUSA or intel in your string of post right before creating this thread;
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1579020#1579020

That you ignored what people tried to tell the OP of that thread, accused them of hidden bias, and then foisted on the thread your opinion of your own situation instead as the only solution, without even looking at the game in question, shows you aren't looking for information at all. And that you followed those posts with this thread calling people PCIe Zealots, shows you don't want to get info.

I have and will recommend AGP solutions to people, but AGP and DX10 don't mix well for two reasons, we don't know if the GF8800s will do well at DX10 titles with features enabled (why would DX10 mid range be smart if you have to diable features?) and no one knows when they'll be here if at all.

My original reply to you in this thread while not more insightful than the rumours others have provided you with (BTW, any 'NEWS' yet anyone?), didn't comment on it's validity, and only once others chimed in with things that were meant to change the actual picture of the situation did I add anything further.

Like I said I understand the desire for AGP DX10 for workstations, but not for gaming, it's a very rare situation where that makes sense, especially based on the history of the product. If they were to come out with the PCIe launches at the same price (MSRP and NewEgg, etc) then there'd be a good argument for squeezing more out of them, but it's extremely unlikely.

pauldh

Illustrious
* just commenting and ranting on lots I read, not aimed at you GGA *

I'm not against a S939 A64 owner just buying an AGP version of a card, even if it's $50 more. Peoples time is worth something, and while some of us do clean OS installs all the time, for others it's a big step to get things back up to the way they current are with all aps installed, updated, etc. But more importantly.....

One problem now that many people may not be aware of is S939 mobo supply is drying up. Up above someone posted a crappy via pci-e board, which compared to many high end NF3U's would be a step down. I'd rather have my MSI K8N neo 2 platinum anyday over that mobo. Personally, I will not be buying another S939 mobo. I have tons of PC3200, so S939 has appealed to me up until now. Granted I should have sold it all off when PC3200 was so expensive months ago, but I am slow to sell parts. But anyway, AMD has killed S939 off too soon. Try finding a decent dual core X2 or FX, and they cost a freakin fortune compared to AM2. ANyway, with so many of the better known S939 enthusiast as well as the better NF4 bargain mobos disappearing from etailers, and the prices of S939 dual cores, I'd say any A64 4000+ type owner could go with another high end AGP like the X1950XT or a GF8 DX10 card, until they are going with a full dual or quad core pci-e rig. Granted this is a small number of people. And sure, I no longer see the Athlon XP owner caring about a DX10 card. It's a waste; scrap the crap and go buy a cd2,ddr2, mobo, pci-e card. But a higher end A64 or X2 owner sitting with a nice NF3U, I can see possibly wanting to keep the rig going for a couple more years even if there was an AGP premium.

Someday obviosuly it's time to cut your losses and grab the new mobo, cpu, mem, and PCI-e card. But a $300 card could extend some systems usefullness quite a bit. And what good is buying a cheap NF4 mobo if grabbing a dual core cpu down the road doesn't look like an option. You would be set for a new R600, but stuck with a single core cpu or paying a huge premium to grab dual core. I'm just venting out of S939 frustration as I can't find a high end dual core CPU at a reasonable price. It's a dead end, so either grab an AGP or PCI-e card, whatever fits your mobo. But unless you already have a dual core S939 cpu, buying a new S939 mobo now seems almost worse than buying an AGP card to me. Once we really want dual core for gaming, it's a dead end whether it's AGP or PCI-e. So the sincle core S939 + X1950 pro AGP or PCI-e owner will both be in trouble. ANyway, I'm done venting. :oops:

I agree for the most part, except for the idea that a DX10 mid-range will be worth the wait for actual DX10 titles. For DX9 titles, they'd likely be fine based on early impressions.

But from what we see I'd say the X1950Pro is the way to go, and when DX10 games actually arrive, best sell that X1950P to someone and upgrade the whole thing including probably a GF8800GTS-320 for likely the sam price as that AGP DX10 that could hold a candle to the X1950Pro.

Of course only time will tell if the past is any indication of the future of AGP bridged PCIe solutions for pricing and delays. The X1300/1600Pro were not 'TOO' delayed, but the GF7800GS, GF7600GT, and X1950P were terribly delayed and overpriced. Not to mention some of the crippled factors.

pauldh

Illustrious
I agree with you that midrange DX10 won't be all that impressive. I guess it just depends on the price and how they perform for the dollar. I'm not thinking an 8800GTS will be any better for Crysis than a X1900XT. Kinda in a way looks like Sm3.0 and the GF6 series we dealt with in the past. What good was it for Oblvion or other sm3 HDR games compared to the X8xx that out performed it?

Anyway, ignore me otherwise. I need to come to grips with that fact that despite a full house of PC's, I'm not set for very long. Where's my sub $200 FX-60! or my $130 X2 4800? So much for upgrading the 3000+ when dual cores come down. I already want dual core now so I can record HD fraps videos of gameplay.

kenoverby

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
A DirectX 10 AGP will work fine, it's a single gpu solution but if you want a twin GPU get a Ageia Physx card and by mostly Ageia games like Crysis and some others. Expect the DX10 AGP card to work perfectly with BlueRay disc and HD along with HDMPEG. If you have a basic CPU you might also want to releive it's processing more and more by purchasing a fast harddisk and a Killer NIC witch is a addon card for networking that takes the networking out of your CPU processing. Theres also the Fatal1ty X-Fi sound blaster card with X-RAM that speeds up games alot along with the Killer NIC because it loads the sounds of the game into it's own X-Ram memmory. I play alot of games and would like to max out my current system befor I upgrade. It's full of family memmories.