Question Any suggestions before I take PC into shop??

Sep 12, 2024
I dont know anything about computers other then what ive learned today trying to fix mine. Idk the specs other then it is pretty basic and has a cx500 power supply. My power went off for a millisecond and PC would not turn back on but instead beeps 5 times in a sequence of 5. I've tried to take out the battery on motherboard to reset, I've tried to take out the Ram sticks and try one at a time turning ot back on, unplug things and plug them back in. (Suggestions from youtube and reddit). There's a green light on the motherboard idk if that means much. I just honestly don't have the money to take it in to be fixed right now. It will probably just have to sit which sucks because it's my photography and video editing computer.

Any tips/hints/suggestions for me to try??

----UPDATE of what ive figured out so far responding to Ralston18----

I'm not sure what the motherboard is. There's a hp logo on it. (closer picture in link)

The VGA box is a EV3A GeForce gtx650Ti

There's also 2 500gb Western Digital boxes (link/first picture/bottom right)

I'm not sure what my operating system is. Maybe windows 10.

The 500 Watt PSU is at least 5-6 years old.

I took some pictures here View: https://imgur.com/a/vfU4ivc

Power went off for a second because I was inside when it went off and all the kitchen appliances, tvs, etc rebooted.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
For the moment - do not take the PC to a shop.

A power outage can (and does) corrupt files which, in turn, can lead to boot failures.

Likely that the green light is simply the network adapter - is that light on the back I/O panel?

= = = =

In any case the motherboard's User Guide/Manual can be used to help with troubleshooting such problems.

The beep codes are a clue but knowing the motherboard's manufacturer is important.

As is knowing the installed components....

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How old is that 500 Watt PSU?

Photographs and screenshots can be posted here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Add more details and explanation regarding "My power went off for a millisecond" - how is that known?

Sep 12, 2024

A power outage can (and does) corrupt files which, in turn, can lead to boot failures.

Likely that the green light is simply the network adapter - is that light on the back I/O panel?

= = = =

In any case the motherboard's User Guide/Manual can be used to help with troubleshooting such problems.

The beep codes are a clue but knowing the motherboard's manufacturer is important.

Add more details and explanation regarding "My power went off for a millisecond" - how is that known?
I'll try my best to identify the parts and upload some pictures for further help

Sep 12, 2024

= = = =

I'm not sure what the motherboard is. There's a hp logo on it. (closer picture in link)

The VGA box is a EV3A GeForce gtx650Ti

There's also 2 500gb Western Digital boxes (link/first picture/bottom right)

I'm not sure what my operating system is. Maybe windows 10.

The 500 Watt PSU is at least 5-6 years old.

I took some pictures here View: https://imgur.com/a/vfU4ivc

Power went off for a second because I was inside when it went off and all the kitchen appliances, tvs, etc rebooted.