Question Any way to tell if a DP or HDMI output port is 4k compatible?

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
I'm planning on buying a used tiny PC for 4k streaming to TV from Youtube and Streaming services.

(No, not interested in Chrome thingy, I want a PC that I can install Brave browser on. No, Raspberry PI cannot handle 4k videos without stutter and lags, I have tried.)

I'm aiming to buy a PC with 8th or 9th gen Intel Core CPU - UHD 630 can handle 4k @ 60Hz.

I'm a bit confused, I know I need HDMI 2.0 or above, or DP 1.2 or above to be able to output 4k. But nowhere do I see any information on the candidate machines. Even the manufacturer websites usually only state "2x Display Port".

Does version even matter? Or if the CPU can handle 4k, then the DP is automatically using the 1.2 version? Is there hardware difference between the connector versions?

Or would I have to phisically test the machines (meaning turn them on, connect to a 4k display, set the resolution, bitrate, etc, and check the output)?

Thank you!

May 4, 2023
It is safe to assume that your I/O will support whatever your hardware supports. The limiting factor will most likely be the HDMI/DP cable and the output device itself.