Anyone been FORCED to pay termination fee?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:34:36 -0400, Larry W4CSC wrote:

> "David L" <davlindi@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> An entity could "take" the money by garnishing wages, putting a lean on
>> or reposessing some property. I suppose that's as close to forcing a
>> payment as anything.
>>

> Not in SC and many other states.....doesn't wash.

Actually, in PA a merchant can file a civil claim in magistrate's court for
the money due. If they win and you don't pay within 30 days another process
could be set into place where a sheriff or constable can seize your personal
property and sell it at auction to pay the debt.

In PA personal property also includes pets, wedding rings, etc.

> Elector wrote:
>
>> Collectors are prone to send a letter stating if this debt is not valid
>> or
>
> Collectors are *required* to send such letters.
>

> --
> JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
> Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the
> temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)
>
> "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Ahh I stand corrected. However many say they sent a letter and just call and
harass you. Six of one half dozen of the other.

Elector

The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote in

> Larry, under South Carolina law, a lien may placed against *real*
> property within the state, but collection doesn't happen until
> transfer of the property.

People living in an apartment or living in a mobile home don't have any
real estate to attach the lein to. Personal property, which is what the
mobile home is like a car, isn't "real". If they are hard up for the ETF,
the car isn't worth stealing anyways.

The carriers know all this, I'm sure...(c; "You can't get blood out of a
stone.", as my attorney puts it...(c;

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

>>The carriers know all this, I'm sure...(c; "You can't get blood out of a
>>stone.", as my attorney puts it...(c;
>
> Then you don't have the right attorney. I'm in the process of slowly
> bleeding a stone now.

Been there, done that; got screwed out of $3,500 by someone I did work for,
and she managed to wriggle out of paying for quite some time, but I sued in
Cleveland Municipal Court and by the time we were done collecting, the
interest had accrued to the point where I actually got just about every cent
of the $3,500 *AFTER* paying 30% of the total collected to a law firm to
collect on the judgement. :) (with interest it ended up being close to $5,000)

http://www.kpflaw.com/ if anyone cares. They work their asses off for their
clients. They sure did well for me and they are worth *every* cent I paid
them (and more).

--

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in

> Subject: Re: Larry and personal attacks, was Re: Anyone been FORCED to
> pay termination fee? From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon

Thanks for moving this sandbox off the thread......

STILL, noone has said they were forced to pay an ETF to anyone....as I
suspected.

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
>

>>Subject: Re: Larry and personal attacks, was Re: Anyone been FORCED to
>>pay termination fee? From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
>>Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>

> Thanks for moving this sandbox off the thread......
>
> STILL, noone has said they were forced to pay an ETF to anyone....as I
> suspected.

So are you going to answer my question, or not? Why is it ok for you to call
me a terrorist but not for others to call you names?

--

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:53:16 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com>
wrote:

>Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
>
>> Subject: Re: Larry and personal attacks, was Re: Anyone been FORCED to
>> pay termination fee? From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
>> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>
>Thanks for moving this sandbox off the thread......
>
>STILL, noone has said they were forced to pay an ETF to anyone....as I
>suspected.

And still:

1. My $100 offer to you goes unclaimed.
2. I see no postings by you about this subject in other cellular
groups, so you have introduced an inherent bias in your "poll",
thereby negating any possible value it *may* have had (which is little
to none).

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:53:16 -0400, Larry W4CSC
> <noone@home.com> wrote:
>
>> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Subject: Re: Larry and personal attacks, was Re: Anyone
>>> been FORCED to pay termination fee? From: Steve Sobol
>>> <sjsobol@JustThe.net> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>>
>> Thanks for moving this sandbox off the thread......
>>
>> STILL, noone has said they were forced to pay an ETF to
>> anyone....as I suspected.
>
> And still:
>
> 1. My $100 offer to you goes unclaimed.
> 2. I see no postings by you about this subject in other
> cellular groups, so you have introduced an inherent bias
> in your "poll", thereby negating any possible value it
> *may* have had (which is little to none).

I still don't get it... Let's assume that no one has *ever*
been FORCED (doesn't include tagging your credit report)
to pay the ETF. Now what? You still haven't answered that
either, Larry.

-Quick

> So are you going to answer my question, or not? Why is it ok for you
> to call me a terrorist but not for others to call you names?

No, I'm not going to engage in another round....(click)

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Larry W4CSC wrote:

>>So are you going to answer my question, or not? Why is it ok for you
>>to call me a terrorist but not for others to call you names?
>
> No, I'm not going to engage in another round....(click)

Heh. :) That just about says it all.

--

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> Now what?

There isn't any "now what?". I was just curious as to what the various
companies were doing to the customer base in response to the customers
simply refusing to hand over money on a threat. With so many competitors
now online, none of them are in any position to piss off the customer base,
more than usual....

I was looking for stories and, as usual, I got flak from the usual squad of
pro-company hacks.

--

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> I was looking for stories and, as usual, I got flak from the usual squad of
> pro-company hacks.

Hm. More name-calling from Larry. But don't you dare call him names, or
he'll take his ball and go home....

--

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Larry W4CSC wrote:
>
>>> So are you going to answer my question, or not? Why is it ok for you
>>> to call me a terrorist but not for others to call you names?
>>

>> No, I'm not going to engage in another round....(click)
>

> Heh. :) That just about says it all.

I should clarify - it was almost a year ago that the thread in question
occurred. I went back and checked. He didn't *call* me a terrorist, just
accused me of being friendly towards an organization that has a terrorist
reputation among many people. (Wasn't Hamas, either. It was Mossad.) The
post, and my reply, are archived on Google Groups, the thread

My statement still stands, but Larry has chosen to take the cowardly way out
and avoid answering me. It'd be nice if he grew some balls and decided to
speak up in his own defense, but I don't expect that to ever happen.

I just felt I needed to correct my previous, incorrect post.

The accusatory post by Larry: http://myturl.com/001EJ
My reply: http://myturl.com/001EK

The thread: http://myturl.com/001EL
Larry's post is #64, and you'll also want to check out #62. My reply is #66.

--

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:19:59 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Larry W4CSC wrote:
>
>> I was looking for stories and, as usual, I got flak from the usual squad of
>> pro-company hacks.
>
>Hm. More name-calling from Larry. But don't you dare call him names, or
>he'll take his ball and go home....

Promise?