Anyone else remember IBM's PS/2 series?

G

I do not remember the exact year, but after IBM's Personal Computer (PC) was cloned out of existance, Big Blue tried to make a comeback with the release of the PS/2 model series. I recall the hoopla around just the 8514 monitor, an eye-popping 800x600x256 display in COLOR!

Since the PS/2's architecture broke faith with the PC-AT clone market and went it's own way, it fizzled into the void within 2 years, despite the release of several models. If I read Intel's roadmap correctly, the hot new P4 won't even be supported that long!

...and you thought the PS/2 was a Sony... :)

<font color=green>Buy, build, abuse, and replace... </font color=green> :smile:

G

Keep in mind that although the IBM ps/2 microchannel architecture was expensive and largely unsupported, it was superior in design to anything availible at the time.

The P4 could go this way too. If every program you want to run on it has to be recompiled to be fast, and if the current platform for it is gonna be replaced in less than 6 months, this cpu could just wander and vanish. That's a shame because if it has the software it needs, it might move the cpu industry in new directions!

I have two IBM server 85's still in service and they move a pretty good amount of data as file servers. :)

Damn those bastards at IBM for cheaping out and going with a disk based bios, though. I hate the reference disk design!