anyone experience Phenom II x4 965 with GTX 970 performance loss? percentage?

tananset

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2014
hi , i'm new to this site (I'm visit this site for time to time , for years maybe , and just decided to join ) , and English isn't my primary language so..

my current pc-specs are included (in profile hope it's shown on the topic), and i'm looking forward to upgrade soon ,which i can only afford one upgrade [i5 4690k+asus z97-K] or [gtx970 non-ref Galax/Gigabyte] , i've no interest to upgrade to another AMD cpu (just wanted to change to intel).

my most games setting
all graphic : max as possible
except AA off/x2/few title : FXAA , Physx : mostly Medium
resolution : i'm kinda 1680x1050 guy lol

my question
how much performance loss due to bottleneck from pairing AMD Phenom II X4 965 with GTX 970 ? i keep hearing about it but not sure if it overstate like "performance loss 50% 15-20% and so on." had anyone experience it first hand? how it perform?

thank you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It would be almost impossible to make a blanket statement about how much bottle neck. It would depend on several variables; the game itself. Is the game CPU limited or GPU limited. In-game settings. Etc.

I have a Phenom II X4 965BE @ 4.0 GHz with a R9-280 and have not experienced any bottleneck yet in the games I play. I can get 100% usage from the GPU while the CPU stays well below 100% usage. Not that the 280 is equal to the 970, but something for comparison. So... assuming I'm right at the limit for CPU vs GPU, this is the difference between the R9-280 and the GTX 970 in various games and apps: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1332

Hope that helps.

tananset

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2014
thanks clutchc , i'm trying to figure it out with some games i'm completely forgot , just as you say GPU+ CPU never reach 100% [tested by RivaTuner statistic server+Afterburner] ,this got me an ideas

i'm going to test with DeadRising3 (there's several hiccup and frame-drag occur especially with a lot of NPCs follower ) ,and Wolfenstein The New Order (not sure if it CPU bound judging by CPU requirements) :|.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You'll probably notice more frame rate issues when gaming on-line on a busy 64-player server than you would off-line playing single player in most games. A busy 64 player server can really take a toll on the CPU keeping track of all those other players. All my testing was done off-line. Either single player or benchmark demos.

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Gee..

I've just re-logged to Tom's Hardware just to post about Phenom II x4 after:

"Last contribution:
25 January 2007 "

How long it's been since this CPU's got to the market? And they are still rocking for gaming??
It kept people from upgrading to 1090, 8150 and now even upgrading to 8320/8350 is debatable if your main goal is gaming.

I've just purchased an FX-8320 for 100$ but not sure if it will be worth upgrading my 965@4.0Ghz.

...marvelous

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Well amd really screwed up on the zambezi, it had worse per core performance than the venerable 965.

They only just beat the per core performance with the 6300/8320/8350.

For most games a 8320 will be a nice upgrade for you, especially @ ~4.5ghz.

OP, it will be significant bottlenecking. Especially with most online games only using mostly 2 cores.

At sub 1080p you will be mostly cpu bound as well, which would further hamper fps.

I had a 1055t @ 3.8ghz (which is comparable to your 965), I remember far cry 3 was the reason I finally upgraded my cpu.

Stutter, fps drops, a general "unsmooth" feeling no matter how i tweaked.

After I got the i5, I was literally locked at 60 fps no matter what I did, butter smooth.

No more sub 40fps drops, so for me in that particular game I gained 20+ fps to minimums.

Now even with far cry 4, 60fps locked. =)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I wouldn't call it "still rocking" for gaming, exactly. But if one is stuck with an older platform, one could do worse than the venerable K10 Black Editions. Getting the Phenom II X4 9xxBE up to 4 GHz or better is absolutely necessary to keep up with modern mid-range cards.