Apollo Lake Lands On An Asus Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

weilin

Distinguished
Wouldn't make a bad DIY NAS or router actually; the x1 PCIe slots can be used for ethernet adapters and the x16 slot would be useful for a RAID controller. PCIe 16x isn't just for graphics ya know...

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

Toss on a RX 460 and you got a decent little PC for portability and use at a LAN Party. :D

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Too bad no SLI support, right?

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

i assume this is sarcasm lol.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

Yea, but chances are a gaming laptop would probably cost a lot more than this with a RX 460. Besides, i doubt the RX 460 is anywhere near fast enough for a PCIe 2.0 X4 slot to bottleneck it., hell a slot running in x2 probably would still have more than enough bandwidth for it. Also, i said decent little PC, not fantastic little PC. Of course there will be better options, but they will likely cost more to.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

*Points to don't feed the troll sign*

I still dont understand why they ship these motherboards with PCIE x1 slots that are closed in the back. If they bought the slots that were open then you would be able to slot an x4, x8, or x16 card in the x1 slot. Sure you wouldn't get the full bandwidth, but for lots of things they dont need more than an x1 slots worth of bandwidth. Oh well.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, I'll bite. I had many ideas, when I was young. As a practicing engineer, I can tell you that simply having an idea vs. actually being able to implement it in a reliable, cost-effective, and scalable manner are worlds apart. It might also be that chip-stacking and multi-spectral... whatever... simply weren't the most cost-effective ways to increase density, at the time (not to mention risk).

Put another way: Ideas are cheap. Implementation is hard. An idea is just the first step on the journey. The good news is that if you have a really good idea, there's a chance you can be one of the first to actually do it.

BTW, if you want chat buddies, try IRC. Or reddit. Or, maybe there are some usenet/google groups with a lot of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.