Apple: A PC is No Bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If you know what your doing, you shouldnt need to spend a dime on anti-virus software or any "geek squad" sinkhole..

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Wow!

All of my photo and video editing needs are met with free programs that come with Vista home premium. I have been using AVG free edition virus protection for the past 7 years without incident. In fact all 71 PC's that I take care of at work use AVG free edition as well. I don't put anything on the Macs at work.

Microsoft's reply should be laughter.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Free:
Avira antivir is a great Free product.
Picasa will work as ILife does.
Zonealarm is a great firewall.

Cmon ppl continue adding softwares to this list.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
there are free antivirus software, avg, when you buy a pc from dell you normally get 1+ year of norton. most isp give customer free pc internet security suite. sure apple has ilife, iwork, act, but there are simular products for pc. even free ones like open office, sure it sucks, but hey what do you want for free. it's understandable that microsoft needs to do a better job. spend some of its money and create better software and sure iwork and ilife are inexpensive when compared to office, but hey you already paid through the nose for an apple, so they give you a break on some of their software, but the aperture, final cut, logic studio, ect start to become expensive...

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]simplyderp[/nom]Macs and pre-built computers suck equally.[/citation]

yeap, i like to build my own pc, i pick all the parts i want, sure it takes a little bit of work, but i end up with a daemon of a machine for a lot less money.

MafiaAce

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Hasn't apple ever heard of open source software?

Oh wait, they love to stomp on that stuff...
Everything I need to do on a PC can be accomplished with free, effective software which is updated constantly by a dedicated community of users.

mkb5150

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
So the MAXIMUM you can spend on a PC might come close to what you have to pay for a Mac, but how many PC users really end up having to pay anywhere near that much? Most people I know don't go to Geek Squad once a month, buy overpriced software, etc. With a PC, it's your choice if you want to spend that much. With a Mac, you have no choice.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
They're barking up the wrong tree here. I build my own PC's, but when I buy a laptop I format it anyway. I don't want the free shit that comes with them, yet alone with a Mac. The reason I choose PC is because I feel I have more freedom to choose between competing products. If I want a certain computer part, Windows accepts it, if I want a certain peice of software, it's made for Windows. If I want to play video games, watch Blu-ray, use a specific motherboard, videocard, memory, AMD products, Wireless adapter, router, memory card reader, etc. etc. etc. WINDOWS. WINDOWS. WINDOWS.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
fail Apple. I use AVG free and it cost me $35 to have my pc fixed when a transformer blew and fried my hard drive. you act as if everyone edits photos and videos. you can find those basic software for free on cnet.

Nice, Microsoft got Apple to respond directly to their ads. Now Apple looks like they're the aggressive/obnoxious one.

Another win for Microsoft. Apple is turning into desperation mode, the direct reply to a Microsoft commercial shows it.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Nobody gets the geek squad diagnosis. And PC's come with Windows Movie Maker and Windows Live Photo Editor. And with a PC you can FULLY customize what you want in it... not like in a Mac where you just HAVE to take what they give you and shut up.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]Wow! All of my photo and video editing needs are met with free programs that come with Vista home premium. I have been using AVG free edition virus protection for the past 7 years without incident. In fact all 71 PC's that I take care of at work use AVG free edition as well. I don't put anything on the Macs at work.Microsoft's reply should be laughter.[/citation]

I think you just said too much about your AVG free usage.......

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well these people are about as idiotic as their customers or is that they are smarter and are just taking advantage of their customers while at the same time giving them a false sense that they actually know what they are doing? Here are some problems, at least imho, with their argument:

"PC users will spend extra on software like decent virus protection and iLife, which endeavors to take care of all your photo and video-editing needs."

1. Decent virus protection can be had for free.
2. If I bought a PC why would I even consider using iLife anyway?

"Then you’ve got the fact that a GeekSqaud diagnosis is $129 versus the free Genius Bar diagnosis at Apple stores."

1. Yes owning a PC does require a person to actually learn to use a computer and how it works thereby allowing the person to become a better user and more knowledgeable of the technology surrounding it.
2. Apples Genius Bar from what I have seen just shows a person how to perform a specific set of tasks and that's it. Hardly qualifies a person as a genius.

***Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a life time.****

"The one thing that both Apple and Microsoft can agree on is that everyone thinks the Mac is cool."

1. Yes. They are nice to look at. That is till you see the sticker price. Cool? That is debatable. But that phase shows Apples arrogant, self important, and pompous attitude that for some reason seems to instill itself like a cancer in those that buy into them.

Seems like every Apple user I run into knows little or nothing of their cool, aesthetic pleasing computer. If something goes wrong they just hot foot it down to the Apple store where they shell even more money to get it fixed. Lets not forget parts and labor. With a PC, granted I build my own, I rarely have any problems and if I do I and most other PC users know exactly what we need to do and/or need to buy to get things right again and because of this we, at the very least, bypass the labor costs.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
"PC users will spend extra on software like decent virus protection and iLife, which endeavors to take care of all your photo and video-editing needs."

I always hear Apple reiterating time and again that they're a _hardware_ company, not a software house. Why then would they even bother mentioning software "superiority" when MS' ads target hardware sales.

This phase of the PC vs Mac war is funny. The "hardware" company is marketing their software and the software company is marketing (not even their own) hardware.

LOL this is bad there was more truth in the MS ad then apples response to it. if you buy a brand name PC does it not already come with programs like internet security and other programs that are basically the same that is on a mac. most programs pre-installed have a year trial or somthing but still your getting better value with a PC

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
QQ more. I really cannot imagine this Apple spokesperson actually representing the mindset of employees and customers. For the record...not everybody thinks Mac is cool. Heck, even my Design and Manufacturing professor who was a VP for Apple(when they were doing well) left to teach because he could not stand Macintosh (ipods however, are another story).

G

[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]Wow! All of my photo and video editing needs are met with free programs that come with Vista home premium. I have been using AVG free edition virus protection for the past 7 years without incident. In fact all 71 PC's that I take care of at work use AVG free edition as well. I don't put anything on the Macs at work.[/citation]

Dude, Free Home Edition of AVG is exactly what the Licence agreement you have clicked on 71 times to install it at work, It is for free personal use on a home computer, They do sell professional versions which are for commercial use, I know as I used to work for a company that are retailers for AVG in the UK!

They have a free version so that the user base is matching the demands of virus definition updates, this allows them to effectivly create a sellable commercial product. AVG are not a huge company, so I do think that the licence should be followed and they get paid for commercial use if it is being used in this way!!

And as for Apple, OOOhhhhhh so cool a way to waste money NOT!!!!!! would rather pee it up a wall!!!!!

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
wonder when Linux will be airing their ads...
admittedly, some of the runner ups weren't very professional looking and the one that looked professional makes me want to punch babies.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Epic fail Apple, that's why I hate you. Cool people don't buy macs they build they're own PC's.

iMac & HP crapware killer
For $699 (newegg)

AMD Phenom II 940BE 3Ghz $189 (beats the hell out of your core2duos)
Gigabyte MA78GM UD2H $80
Corsair XMS2 DHX DDR2 800 2x1GB $40
Seagate 7200.12 500GB $60
OCZ SteathXtream 500w $60
Logitech MX 518 $40
Logitech Internet 350 Black $16
LG GH22NS30 $25
CoolerMaster CM-690 $75
Hanns·G JW-197DPB Black 19" $110
$700

That's a powerfull PC, learn that Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.